Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our newsletter

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

Latest LowEndBox Offers

    Any here with experience with Seagate Archive 8TB 5900RPM SATA disks?
    New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

    Any here with experience with Seagate Archive 8TB 5900RPM SATA disks?

    myhkenmyhken Member
    edited June 2015 in General

    I have a huge movie collection with 1.500 DVDs and over 270 BluRays and it grows every month, when I buy or borrow movies to put into my system.
    I'm now using 5 x 3 TB disks and 1 x 2 TB disk for this. And i have now under 1 TB with free space, so I have to upgrade at least one disk. I can double the 2 TB if I buy a 4 TB or triple it if I buy a 6 TB. So thats fine for now.

    But then I saw the Seagate Archive 8TB 5900RPM SATA disks thats pretty cheap per GB.
    It's for "cold storage" so the write/read speed is not very high. But when I look at a BluRay in full quality (35-45 GB) it's only 4-6 MB/s and the disk handles around 20-30(40-50) MB/s. (on the data sheet is actually says 150 MB/s write, 190 MB/s read so thats is much higher speeds then I need for this type of disks)

    The disks I have today is single disks, no RAID, just I that use the system, so only one movie is watch at the time.

    What do you think? Is it a waste of money buying a couple of this disks to store some of my movie collection on?

    Kenneth Myhre
    WindowsTemplate.com - free Windows templates for OVH/Hetzner/Kimsufi/Online.net

    Powered by Hetzner.com, backed up by OVH, Kimsufi and VULTR.com

    Comments

    • joepie91joepie91 Member, Provider

      You should join #DataHoarder on Freenode :)

      Thanked by 1netomx
    • @myhken said:
      I have a huge movie collection with 1.500 DVDs and over 270 BluRays and it grows every month, when I buy or borrow movies to put into my system.
      I'm now using 5 x 3 TB disks and 1 x 2 TB disk for this. And i have now under 1 TB with free space, so I have to upgrade at least one disk. I can double the 2 TB if I buy a 4 TB or triple it if I buy a 6 TB. So thats fine for now.

      But then I saw the Seagate Archive 8TB 5900RPM SATA disks thats pretty cheap per GB.
      It's for "cold storage" so the write/read speed is not very high. But when I look at a BluRay in full quality (35-45 GB) it's only 4-6 MB/s and the disk handles around 20-30(40-50) MB/s. (on the data sheet is actually says 150 MB/s write, 190 MB/s read so thats is much higher speeds then I need for this type of disks)

      The disks I have today is single disks, no RAID, just I that use the system, so only one movie is watch at the time.

      What do you think? Is it a waste of money buying a couple of this disks to store some of my movie collection on?

      You recommend any good zombie films? I can't seem to find anything half decent.

      Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
    • Write speed from what I remember was a little sucky. Read seemed like an average SATA2 (even though its SATA3) disk.

    • From basic testing they perform almost the same as the WD green drives (older 1TB/2TB versions) (speed and latency wise)

      I AM BACK :)
      Working Windows Server 2012 R2 on 6GB! Beat that!

    • Sound like you need to start coverting the movies into mp4 format. It will save you alot of space!

      VPS's out of Asheville, NC, Amsterdam, LA (Quadranet): https://my.aggressivenetworks.com

    • myhkenmyhken Member

      @aggressivenetworks said:
      Sound like you need to start coverting the movies into mp4 format. It will save you alot of space!

      Yea, and will take allot of my time with so big collection. So I think hard drives is the best solution. I have found a couple of threads on the internet now, there people with almost the same need as me, ask around about the disks. And it's seems promised.

      @TarZZ92 said:
      From basic testing they perform almost the same as the WD green drives (older 1TB/2TB versions) (speed and latency wise)

      And that is not a issue, since watching a full HD, full 100% copy of a BluRay movie (35-45 GB) only uses 4-6 MB/s. So the disk can transfer allot more then that.

      @MarkTurner said:
      Write speed from what I remember was a little sucky. Read seemed like an average SATA2 (even though its SATA3) disk.

      Seen some comments about that yes, but when I rip a BluRay, I don't get any more then around 20-30 MB/s max with my current 12x BluRay reader. The same or less with DVDs.
      The only issue will be when I transfer the data from the old disks to the new one, but it can be done in the night, and I can copy from disk that I don't need yo use for some days, so no big issue there.

      Kenneth Myhre
      WindowsTemplate.com - free Windows templates for OVH/Hetzner/Kimsufi/Online.net

      Powered by Hetzner.com, backed up by OVH, Kimsufi and VULTR.com

    • Do you recommend any movies?

    • I have a similar issue, but with own movies.
      @myhken you do realize you need at least 2 copies if no raid? Unless you have the original too and can rip it at any time.
      Ripping can be done directly into Xvid, no visible quality loss and way less space taken.

      Extremist conservative user, I wish to preserve human and civil rights, free speech, freedom of the press and worship, rule of law, democracy, peace and prosperity, social mobility, etc. Now you can draw your guns.

    • myhkenmyhken Member

      @Maounique said:
      I have a similar issue, but with own movies.
      myhken you do realize you need at least 2 copies if no raid? Unless you have the original too and can rip it at any time.
      Ripping can be done directly into Xvid, no visible quality loss and way less space taken.

      I have collected DVDs (then BluRay) on my computer since 2002, so I have learned the hard way to always have backup yes. Lost around 100 DVD movies at one time, and no backup. And then, that was maybe 25% of my collection.

      Now I have a HDD in a docking station, so when I rip a movie, I also take a copy to the backup disk. When the backup disk is full, I send it out of my house, So I don't loose everything in a fire or something.

      And I of course have allot of the movies on DVD or BluRay, so I can rip from again, but that mostly my BluRays. The DVDs have I given away, borrowed away etc, and never ask to get back.

      I have now ordered two Seagate Archive 8TB 5900RPM SATA disks. Will see how it goes.

      Kenneth Myhre
      WindowsTemplate.com - free Windows templates for OVH/Hetzner/Kimsufi/Online.net

      Powered by Hetzner.com, backed up by OVH, Kimsufi and VULTR.com

    • TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
      edited June 2015

      myhken said: I have collected DVDs (then BluRay) on my computer since 2002, so I have learned the hard way to always have backup yes. Lost around 100 DVD movies at one time, and no backup. And then, that was maybe 25% of my collection.

      Rather than raid and that lot. why not just use a online backup service, such as livedrive and so.

      I AM BACK :)
      Working Windows Server 2012 R2 on 6GB! Beat that!

    • myhkenmyhken Member

      @TarZZ92 said:

      It's around 18 TB with data. I have a 100/20 mbit connection. It will take for ever to upload all the files. And forever to download it. And you can't be sure if they still around or the files is intact when I really need the backup.

      Much better to have them stored on HDDs outside my house. Within 10 minutes I can have the backup here, connect it to a SATA port, restoring it, then do it with all disk that had data from the defective hard drive, then I'm up and running within hours.
      Not long ago a 3 TB disk full of movies died, and then I just fetched my backup drives, and restored everything the same day on a new disk. (I always have spare 3 TB disks laying around)

      Using a online backup service, it would have taken 3 days (2.84) to download all files, IF I always got 100 mbit/s, and did not use my internet connection to anything else.

      I lie in Norway, so the only real online service with good/max speed is Jottacloud.no, they have a limit on 10 TB on their "unlimited" plan. So I would have split it up to two accounts. Thats $20/mo - all year around. And it can take years before I need the backup.

      Now I reuse disks I replace with new ones, or buy 500-1000 GB disks.
      And when I change disks like I will now, I will let all the movies stay on the disks I replace, and send it to storage.

      Kenneth Myhre
      WindowsTemplate.com - free Windows templates for OVH/Hetzner/Kimsufi/Online.net

      Powered by Hetzner.com, backed up by OVH, Kimsufi and VULTR.com

    • TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
      edited June 2015

      myhken said: It's around 18 TB with data. I have a 100/20 mbit connection. It will take for ever to upload all the files. And forever to download it. And you can't be sure if they still around or the files is intact when I really need the backup.

      well that's the good thing about livedrive if they already have the data stored it's not uploaded.

      I AM BACK :)
      Working Windows Server 2012 R2 on 6GB! Beat that!

    • myhkenmyhken Member

      @TarZZ92 said:

      Ok. My movie collection is DVD/BluRays with Norwegian subtitles and/or Norwegian voice (children movies). Don't think livedrive has to many movies with Norwegian language.

      Kenneth Myhre
      WindowsTemplate.com - free Windows templates for OVH/Hetzner/Kimsufi/Online.net

      Powered by Hetzner.com, backed up by OVH, Kimsufi and VULTR.com

    • myhken said: Ok. My movie collection is DVD/BluRays with Norwegian subtitles and/or Norwegian voice (children movies). Don't think livedrive has to many movies with Norwegian language.

      it would surprise you :)

      I AM BACK :)
      Working Windows Server 2012 R2 on 6GB! Beat that!

    • myhkenmyhken Member

      @TarZZ92 said:

      Maybe so, but using a online backup storage for 18 TB of data, that is not located in Norway is not a good solution for me. And the price on llivedrive is really high. That £11/mo price is based on a two year contract. And they don't have any info about what a such account will cost month by month.

      It's also several things in their ToS that I don't like. They are talking about a limit

      exceed your Usage Limit repeatedly, or exceed your Usage Limit on one occasion when that Usage Limit represents the highest available limit;

      How can a exceed a unlimited limit? And they are mention this several times in their ToS.

      And this, you will not see a statement like that if this is my only backup source:

      We reserve the right to suspend or terminate the Services at any time, without cause, with or without notice to you. At our sole discretion, we may refund the unused portion of fees for each Fixed Contract Period paid for the Services on a pro-rata basis.

      And this, so if I use my server with 18 drives on it (not all is used for my movie collection, but 6 disk are) do 5 disk = 5 devices, so I actually need more then one account?

      fail to disclose the number of devices on which you are running Livedrive Backup, be they multidrive devices, network-attached (NAS) hard drives, or external drives (collectively “External Storage Devices”) or otherwise.

      I still think Jottacloud.com here in Norway is better. Unlimited with computers and devices (I'm etc using my phones, pad, several computers, servers etc etc), and "unlimited" storage, that they have mention as around 10 TB.
      And all of this for $9/mo (actually lower then that since I pay per year, and have used them for 5-6 years now)

      Kenneth Myhre
      WindowsTemplate.com - free Windows templates for OVH/Hetzner/Kimsufi/Online.net

      Powered by Hetzner.com, backed up by OVH, Kimsufi and VULTR.com

    • Gerrard8Gerrard8 Member
      edited June 2015

      I may give jottacloud a try for my plex library backup ;-)

      @myhken said:
      And when I change disks like I will now, I will let all the movies stay on the disks I replace, and send it to storage.

      Thanked by 1myhken
    • ZenZen Member

      MSPNick said: You recommend any good zombie films? I can't seem to find anything half decent.

      http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0289043/
      http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0463854/

      If you haven't seen them, watch them.

      @HostBalls

    • DamianDamian Member

      I have two of them in a Synology DS214se. It's much cheaper than four 3TB drives in a four-bay unit, with a loss of only 1 TB. The write performance sucks, but the read performance is fine. Everything I put on it is write once, read many, so they work fine. My only concern is that Seagate's had a less-than-stellar track record on simple things (like firmwares.....) lately, so I hope they're durable.

    • myhkenmyhken Member

      @Damian I also have had bad experience with Seagate disk before, but I have to assume that they have done a better job with this "cold storage" disks. Hope I'm not wrong.

      Kenneth Myhre
      WindowsTemplate.com - free Windows templates for OVH/Hetzner/Kimsufi/Online.net

      Powered by Hetzner.com, backed up by OVH, Kimsufi and VULTR.com

    • myhken said: That £11/mo price is based on a two year contract

      it is not a contract just a prepaid 24 months but its only £15 without prepayment.

      I AM BACK :)
      Working Windows Server 2012 R2 on 6GB! Beat that!

    • Damian said: My only concern is that Seagate's had a less-than-stellar track record on simple things

      i think this excludes 4TB+ they seem to be very reliable. also Avoid made in china seagate drives they tend to break quicker in my experience.

      Thanked by 1myhken

      I AM BACK :)
      Working Windows Server 2012 R2 on 6GB! Beat that!

    • Almost 80% of the failed drives i experienced were seagate/maxtor. I still have some which only have bad sectors, I just write the data twice on them, but should be considered failed anyway. This is, of course, about consumer, not enterprise versions.

      Extremist conservative user, I wish to preserve human and civil rights, free speech, freedom of the press and worship, rule of law, democracy, peace and prosperity, social mobility, etc. Now you can draw your guns.

    • @Zen said:
      If you haven't seen them, watch them.

      I'm waiting for 28 months later :-(

      Thanked by 2Zen netomx
    • wychwych Member
      edited June 2015

      @myhken how are they treating you?

      I was considering getting a couple as a few of my 500gb's and 1tb's in raid's are getting on a bit.

      I can't decide on a 4x2tb/3tb array or a pair of these.

      Taking a hiatus.

    • raindog308raindog308 Moderator

      myhken said: Yea, and will take allot of my time with so big collection.

      Yeah, like...a couple weeks. Whoa.

      Seriously, with a reasonable processor you can easily convert 24 movies a day even if they take an hour each, and they won't. You can probably do twice that if you stage them on SSD.

      Convert 24 movies at 50GB each and you will net a terabyte of savings.

      myhken said: And that is not a issue, since watching a full HD, full 100% copy of a BluRay movie (35-45 GB) only uses 4-6 MB/s. So the disk can transfer allot more then that.

      45GB per movie? Wow.

      Most of my movies are stored at 1 to 2 GB. Then again, I find 720p to be perfectly fine. But even 1080 is what, 3-4GB?

      As to your original question...I am not a fan of Seagate. Or single drives for anything.

      I have a pair of 6TB WD Red in a NAS that is the most recent add to the 20-odd TB I have at home. I prefer the black (5 year vs. 3 year warranty) but I've found the Reds to be very good.

      I don't think you need more space. You just need to discover Handbrake :-)

      Thanked by 1inthecloudblog

      For LET support, please visit the interim support desk.

      Over the past few months we have been met with many challenges within the moderation business. Some that have not been overcome.

    • @raindog308 said:

      discover Handbrake

      Not everyone want to collect "highly compressed" videos. Some only collect movies in the best quality. It's like a car enthusiast is looking for a large space to exhibit his love cars and you ask him to discover ... Smart?

      Thanked by 1NeoXiD
    • myhkenmyhken Member

      @wych said:
      myhken how are they treating you?

      I was considering getting a couple as a few of my 500gb's and 1tb's in raid's are getting on a bit.

      I can't decide on a 4x2tb/3tb array or a pair of these.

      They are working very well. I'm using two of three 8 TB disks now, and I get around 42 MB/s (2.1 GB per minute) uploading to the disk, and from 100-150 MB/s when I transfer from the disk.

      Filled one of the disk up with 5 TB of data, and the second with 3 TB of data.

      Can't see any issues at all. But I of course know that Seagate drives can be destroyed at any moment, but hope that is not the case for their 8 TB cold storage series.

      @raindog308 said:

      I have collected movies for 12 years now (in my digital movie collection), and the one thing I regret was that in the beginning, when I had small hard drives, the price was high, and I did not have so much money to spend, I compressed allot of my DVDs from DVD9 to DVD5. Still, today, I regret this, and often buy the same movie again (since I don't save on all the DVDs I put in to the computer) just to rip them in full quality.

      Also why I buy many of the same movies on BluRay, just to get better quality.

      So I will never compress anymore. Alway rip DVD/BluRay with 0% compression.

      @msg7086 said:
      Not everyone want to collect "highly compressed" videos. Some only collect movies in the best quality. It's like a car enthusiast is looking for a large space to exhibit his love cars and you ask him to discover ... Smart?

      You totally right.

      Kenneth Myhre
      WindowsTemplate.com - free Windows templates for OVH/Hetzner/Kimsufi/Online.net

      Powered by Hetzner.com, backed up by OVH, Kimsufi and VULTR.com

    • wychwych Member

      @myhken they setup in RAID or single disk?

      Taking a hiatus.

    • myhkenmyhken Member

      @wych said:
      myhken they setup in RAID or single disk?

      Single disks, I never use RAID. And RAID often writes allot to the disks, and this is not the right disk for constant writing.

      Kenneth Myhre
      WindowsTemplate.com - free Windows templates for OVH/Hetzner/Kimsufi/Online.net

      Powered by Hetzner.com, backed up by OVH, Kimsufi and VULTR.com

    • I've done an exhaustive amount of work reading up on these drives and seeing how they work under normal and in NAS/SAN environments. As I run UnRAID several users have gone through and tested these drives exhaustively and come to the same conclusion that many of you have:

      1. These drives are 100% cold storage and meant to be written once, read many
      2. Don't RAID these drives in a traditional sense. The rebuild time is ridiculous
      3. There is a theoretical limit at how many times you can fully wipe the entire drive and write back to it. This is due to the SMR technology
      4. There's a 20GB buffer built in while the drive shuffles data around. Copying files larger than 20GB is when the drives performance suffers.*

      The speed at which you read back is great but you'll reach a time when the disk starts to slow down the fuller it gets as the disk moves data around the drive to optimize.

      If you are an extreme digital hoarder these drives are awesome at a price point you can't beat. There are certain limitations you have to accept and if you are OK with that then you got yourself a great drive set.

      • I think it's 20GB

      Here is a link to the discussion on these drives:
      http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=36749.0

    • wychwych Member

      @myhken said:

      Yeah the more I read up on them I am not sure they are the right disks for me, some 4TB Reds or Blacks I think.

      Taking a hiatus.

    • gbshousegbshouse Member, Provider

      Take a look on this service (I'm using both personal and business plans) https://www.idrive.com/pricing, they have nice option called Express (https://www.idrive.com/idrive-express) which allows you to ship physical disk to them so no need of uploading large amounts of data

    • myhkenmyhken Member

      @gbshouse for me this is not archive storage, it's my movie collection that get larger and larger. That I have to have in house, since it's where my HTPC read files from. (via network).

      So I have online backup service for other files, like documents, pictures etc.

      And I have a psychical backup of all my movies on HDDs outside my house, just in case of a fire. I Live in Norway, and I used idrive for years, but local online services here in Norway is much faster both on upload and download.

      Kenneth Myhre
      WindowsTemplate.com - free Windows templates for OVH/Hetzner/Kimsufi/Online.net

      Powered by Hetzner.com, backed up by OVH, Kimsufi and VULTR.com

    • @gbshouse

      i drive is slow, expensive and not secure

      I AM BACK :)
      Working Windows Server 2012 R2 on 6GB! Beat that!

    • gbshousegbshouse Member, Provider

      @TarZZ92 - works for us. @myhken - not sure about local backup providers in Norway. Lived for few months in Oslo but never looked for such provider. Any good Norwegian comedies to recommend?

    • myhkenmyhken Member

      gbshouse said: Any good Norwegian comedies to recommend?

      In my collection of around 1.500 DVDs and almost 300 BluRays I think I have under 10 Norwegian movies total. Not many good movies made here.

      Kenneth Myhre
      WindowsTemplate.com - free Windows templates for OVH/Hetzner/Kimsufi/Online.net

      Powered by Hetzner.com, backed up by OVH, Kimsufi and VULTR.com

    • WilliamWilliam Member, Provider
      edited June 2015

      MSPNick said: You recommend any good zombie films? I can't seem to find anything half decent.

      World War Z (Extended cut only)

      Zombieland

      Tucker & Dale vs. Evil

      Shaun of the Dead

      We have around 20TB movies/series/docus - Stored on a ZFS Z2 array built out of 2TB drives. The 8TB HDDs are cheap per TB, would be my choice as well for a new built. Get 3 and build a ZFS Z1 with 16TB useable space.

    • Would using an ssd cache make these functional other than just archiving?

    Sign In or Register to comment.