Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Clients , will you trust more websites who has EV SSL?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Clients , will you trust more websites who has EV SSL?

ZweiTigerZweiTiger Member
edited June 2015 in General

The question is...

So what do you think who has EV SSL. Will you trust more? What do you think about it? Is it important?

What do you think about EV SSL
  1. Will you trust more who has EV SSL?168 votes
    1. Yes
      49.40%
    2. No
      19.05%
    3. Not matter
      31.55%

Comments

• The fact that it costs a lot, and is such hassle setting up. I would consider it a factor if to trust it.

• XiNiXXiNiX Member, Host Rep

@vladka24 said:
    The fact that it costs a lot, and is such hassle setting up. I would consider it a factor if to trust it.

Its Really worth it.

• No, I wouldn't trust anyone other than NSA cuz there are chances that they will sell my info to NSA without my notice. At least NSA won't "sell" my info.

Done trolling, yes, they are registered and validated companies so chances they ditch me is way less compared to those companies using $9 3 years positive ssls.

• rokokrokok Member

Yes!

• FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited June 2015

I have two rules for SSL.

1. No PositiveSSL

2. No CloudFlare free SSL

If you pass the criteria, I don't care if you have EV SSL or not. Even a RapidSSL is fine to me.

• @FlamesRunner said:
    I have two rules for SSL.

1. No PositiveSSL

2. No CloudFlare free SSL

If you pass the criteria, I don't care if you have EV SSL or not. Even a RapidSSL is fine to me.

I use PositiveSSL on two sites of mine. Both of them don't really need SSL, I'm just a sucker for that green https :P...

Thanked by 3cassa elgs Gadelhas
  • No, knowing that a green bar is connected with some address and business name sure looks nice but does not make something more trustworthy.

It's like buying a safe that comes with a $100 flag that means you have a mailing address, and buying a $20 safe without a flag when they both use locks from the same manufacturer.

• Go for something like AlphaSSL.
    If you know what a 'rogue' antivirus is, their payment pages use PositiveSSL. Comodo literally gives out the SSL certificates to its' resellers.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2015

With EV it's not about cost but about data verification. I don't care if they are free as long as data is verified by someone and the company gives substantial insurance in case their verification would fail.

Thanked by 1XiNiX
  • adxnadxn Member, Host Rep

EV SSL will ensure me that I will be with a Registered Company!

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

@linuxthefish said:
    No, knowing that a green bar is connected with some address and business name sure looks nice but does not make something more trustworthy.

It's like buying a safe that comes with a $100 flag that means you have a mailing address, and buying a $20 safe without a flag when they both use locks from the same manufacturer.

What's that Browser that shows Certificate Info in this way ??

• BochiBochi Member

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:
    What's that Browser that shows Certificate Info in this way ??

Looks like Chrome, but as Chrome uses the internal certificate storage I think the view will depend on the OS used. ;)

• This seems more like a Chrome on a Mac

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

That looks so stylish :D

• The most affordable EV I've heard of still cost $200~300 a year.
    For me, it doesn't matter if not on a E-commerce site. A cheap PositiveSSL, or even free StartSSL should be enough.
    Cloudfare SNI SSL is an option but may encounter support issues on older devices.

But for E-commerce sites by incorporated companies, an EV certificate does matter.

• Thanks all for the reply! :)

• I don't even know what the difference is so I don't mind.

• @justin4869 said:
    The most affordable EV I've heard of still cost $200~300 a year.
    For me, it doesn't matter if not on a E-commerce site. A cheap PositiveSSL, or even free StartSSL should be enough.
    Cloudfare SNI SSL is an option but may encounter support issues on older devices.

But for E-commerce sites by incorporated companies, an EV certificate does matter.

you can buy a single for $155 at namecheap.

but the verification process is a bit of a pain in the ass..

• Absolutely not, plenty of shitscam sites that have EV SSL.

Thanked by 1desperand
  • EV SSL does not mean the site isn't a scam or not, it just means the person was willing to pay for the green bar and is a registered company somewhere. The EV does not matter to me. Where you get the SSL certificate from does not matter to me. What does matter is where it's used, and the ciphers on your web server.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @Dillybob said:
    Absolutely not, plenty of shitscam sites that have EV SSL.

Can you show some "shitscam" running with EV SSL ?

• DillybobDillybob Member
    edited June 2015

DamienSB said: it just means the person was willing to pay for the green bar and is a registered company somewhere. The EV does not matter to me.

This kind of reminds me of a site that starts with a W :P

• Actually why not PositiveSSL?

• LeeLee Veteran

I would not go out of my way to check the SSL, other than to see one is there. Whilst it does offer more checking I don't think you need to look to far to see those that use it and you will still avoid.

• ZweiTigerZweiTiger Member
    edited June 2015

Well actually maybe i will choose this: https://www.startssl.com/?app=30

200 usd/2year. Its a fair pay. I done once the validation with comodo argh... not was fast but.. possible to do!

Well i have to secure 10+ domain so... thats the best way for now.

• tommytommy Member

ZweiTiger said: 200 usd/2year. Its a fair pay. I done once the validation with comodo argh... not was fast but.. possible to do!

+59.90 for StartSSL™ Verified

To apply for Extended Validation (EV) the "Certificate Requester" must first obtain a valid Class 2 Identity Validation

from https://www.startssl.com/?app=30#requirements

• @tommy said:

140USD for EV SSL and 60 USD for validation.

• @lifehome said:
    Actually why not PositiveSSL?

Less than $10 for 3 years, that's the problem. Too cheap for LETers to trust.

Thanked by 1lifehome
  • tommytommy Member

ZweiTiger said: 140USD for EV SSL and 60 USD for validation.

where's that $140 come from? from their site still US $ 199.90 for EV SSL and nowhere mention about these price including validation fee. or I miss something

• @tommy said:

Register > login after that you will see. Also i contacted them. so 200 usd. 140EV for 2 year and 60usd for vaidation.

Thanked by 1tommy