Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What was your "First Computer" ? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What was your "First Computer" ?

Comments

• @dediserve - there is an emulator for that - http://www.bannister.org/software/oric.htm

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • @MarkTurner said:
    dediserve - there is an emulator for that - http://www.bannister.org/software/oric.htm

I know ;) I still have the original in the garage too, still runs :)

• An IBM PC XT with 128 KB of RAM, a 360 KB double-sided 5¼ inch floppy disk drive, a 10 MB Seagate ST-412 hard drive. It had DOS, C, BASIC, Games like Digger. Used to hate it when the floppies would get infected with fungus. I was just 5 when it was brought to our house.

Thanked by 1XiNiX
  • I learned basics of Windows 98 PC in year 1999, purchased my first in 2005, it was IBM desktop machine 584 MHz, 128 MB Ram, and 4GB HDD.

It was used PC and I bought it for around $30.

• @XiNiX said:
    Amazing !!

It was quite amazing what you could do with 1Mhz and 16KB RAM :)

• XiNiXXiNiX Member, Host Rep

@dediserve said:
    It was quite amazing what you could do with 1Mhz and 16KB RAM :)

Very True. :)

• jurevejureve Member
    edited June 2015

IBM PC AT 1 MB RAM 40 MB HDD DOS 6 and WIN 3.1 =)

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

C64 with 5.25 floppy

• DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited June 2015

@hwdsl2 said:
    Side note: Loved to play the two gorillas throwing bananas game and the "snake" game (Nibbles) in QBASIC under MS DOS. Anyone can remember those?

I do, but this was a long time later, when I was studying in 7th standard. We had a computer lab at school with no hard disk. We had to boot it off our floppy disk, and had to load a ramdisk to memory, to get the boot sector to memory. That was the time of the popular ndd - Norton disk doctor which could do a low level format and save even sector 0 trashed floppies. Love the viruses of the time.

Some of us were autoexec.bat magicians. And of course, no internet, so any learning had to be from books, and rare foreign magazines.

I remember accidentally trashing the novell netware based network by trying to upgrade it with a 'sys a: c:'. Was called to the principal's office, the key to the computer lab confiscated, and told to leave the work to the pros. Git.

My friend once refused to share the password of the netware admin. Wrote my first brute force program in qbasic, compiled it to an exe, and successfully changed the password.

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited June 2015

The classic IBM PCjr.

Now I feel like playing Zork again.

• asfasf Member

Commodore Plus/4

I got it for my third birthday :)

• BruceBruce Member

@XiNiX said:
    Guys, if you have pics plz share the same. Thanx.

added to my post above

Thanked by 1XiNiX
  • zx81

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2015

CIP a Z80 zx spectrum 48 clone, kinda. Had a very cool thing in rom, allowed you to load the "os" which was either the basic interpreters, microprolog, cracking programs so you can NMI anytime and dump ram, poke, etc, copy in 62 kb ram (the rom only took 2 kb) anything from tape, then dump it compressed saving 66% of tape and time, was quite amazing.

Unfortunately, was very poorly built physically, like anything in the communism in romania, the rom failed (eprom) in the first month, still was in warranty, but in those times you had to bribe people, otherwise they would tell you there ar eno spare parts and never repaired it. It was 9800 lei, a good wage was 3000, my grandmother bought it to me after i got the third place in the contest to enter a good high school.
    The ROM failed again a few years into the nineties, but those were really intense use days, some 12 hours a day in vacations, those machines were really not built for such a long usage, no fan and there was no AC in summer, so it got so hot you could not keep the hands on it.

https://ro.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIP

The picture is from a much later model, mine was the first.

• @stackmutt - there is a good emulator for that on iPhone/iPad too :)

Thanked by 1stackmutt
  • Pentium II with 10GB HDD and 64 MB Ram. Windows 98/2000 I think. XDD sweeet.

• @Lee said:
    Texas Instruments TI-99/4A

Same! And I can't believe how much people want for them on eBay. LOL!

Also have some good ol' 8-bit Atari computers that still run great.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited June 2015

I went through many.

BBC Micro
    Sharp MZ-700
    ZX80
    Spectrum 48K
    Atari ST
    Amiga

My first ever proper PC was about 1992/3 which was the IBM PS1.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

XiNiX said: My first PC was a 286, with an hard drive of 20 MB. 12 Mhz !! It's really incredible how things evolved in just a few years.

I owned:

• a TimexSinclair (4K + 16K expansion)

• Apple ][ with 16K

• TRS-80 Level...3? 32K I think

• Tandy CoCo

I think the Timex Sinclair was first. 8088, 8086, 286 were all much later :-)

Still have the TRS-80 in my basement...with an old Atari 800 sitting on top of it...

Thanked by 1XiNiX
  • GM2015GM2015 Member

My first pc was a pentium 1, a used pc I got around February 2000.
    Specs were 166mhz, 64 ram and 2gb hdd.
    Surprisingly, it could run a lot of pc games.
    I think Delta Force 1 was my first game ever.
    It had windows 98 on it, wish it was linux. It would have made my life a whole lot easier, than growing up with windows.
    This pc still works to this day.

• netrixnetrix Member
    edited June 2015

Very old computer..

6GB of HDD

96 RAM

Intel Pentium II

With Windows 98

• AMD K6 2 300Mhz

• vic-20. my dad bought it brand new and shelled out a fortune for it. anybody remember the basic programs that were in the back of the manual? :) I spent hours typing those in.

• I was too young to remember. Windows 95 though.

• @XiNiX said:

Cool screenshot!

IIRC, PC-DOS was produced by IBM after the early marriage with Gates fell apart. Essentially they took his DOS and made it their own. It was incompatible with MS-DOS. The hardware I had wouldn't even run MS-DOS. I had to do a re-install once (cause I tinkered too much) and was down for a week until I tracked down a set of PC-DOS floppies....

Thanked by 1XiNiX
  • pcanpcan Member

The first one was a Commodore 64. The first I used extensively was a Commodore Amiga 500. I built a 300 baud modem with parts from a broken phone and a expensive single-IC modem. I loaded a VT100 terminal emulator software to dial a IBM VM/CMS mainframe
    with borrowed login info. The mainframe was connected to BITNET and I spent hours interacting with services and people on the network.
    I even fixed a old dot matrix printer to get a teletype-like printout for easier reading (80 column text on a color TV set was terrible), then I modified a long-persistence monochrome surveillance monitor to get a more stable 80 column video. The modem was dumb and not Hayes compatible, so i had to dial the mainframe with the phone first, then switch the line to connect the modem.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@HostinGeneral said:

This is your first computer?