Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What was your "First Computer" ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What was your "First Computer" ?

XiNiXXiNiX Member, Host Rep

I hope this would be Interesting..

What was your first computer ( Specs ) ?

My first PC was a 286, with an hard drive of 20 MB. 12 Mhz !!
It's really incredible how things evolved in just a few years.

Comments

• sc754sc754 Member

Mine was a 386 with I think Windows 3.1.. Then I stepped up a gear and got a 486 with Windows 95. Oh those were the days, loading an OS with about twenty 3.5inch floppy disks and it taking you 2 hours.

Thanked by 1XiNiX
  • gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Atari 65 XE (still have it up and running)

Thanked by 2XiNiX geekalot
  • 8088 with a Mathematical Co-Processor and 20MB HDD.

Thanked by 2XiNiX geekalot
  • XiNiXXiNiX Member, Host Rep

@sc754 said:
    Mine was a 386 with I think Windows 3.1.. Then I stepped up a gear and got a 486 with Windows 95. Oh those were the days, loading an OS with about twenty 3.5inch floppy disks and it taking you 2 hours.

I still remember using "Pine" on unix , God i miss those good old days.

Thanked by 1sc754
  • My first personal one was purchased in 2006 (Yes. I'm young and also it was like salary of five years, still the prices are really high)

• cassacassa Member

It was a Compaq with 128mb ram, 1 800Mhz core and 200mb hdd. Not really old, but I'm 16 years old

• DillybobDillybob Member
    edited June 2015

Born in 1992, but I do remember my grandpa spending thousands on a computer for our family way back in the day. Something like $1,985 or something, don't remember.

It was: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005V7L4/gemotrack9-20/ref=nosim

..and it slowly became mine :)

• commodore vic-20 till we upgraded to the 64 with a floppy and dual tape drives. We ran a BBS back in the day on this high-tech setup.

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • sinsin Member
    edited June 2015

Well my first home computer was a Packard Bell with a 75MHz processor, I crashed it the first night I had it trying to install Doom I think.

• wychwych Member

Pentium MMX w/ 32mb RAM & 20gb HDD IIRC.

• BruceBruce Member
    edited June 2015

MicroAce. taiwan kit computer - copy of ZX80. 1K RAM B&W "graphics"

then a C64, and my first disk. 5" floppy, single sided. 180K
    then an Amiga 1000
    then a 286, complete with my first hard disk, 40MB I think. ahh, the old turbo button!
    followed by various x86 from 386, 486, 486x2, 486x4, and pentiums

archive.org/stream/byte-magazine-1981-04/1981_04_BYTE_06-04_Future_Computers#page/n47/mode/2up

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • TRS-80... then to a Apple Mac2.....then upgraded to a 286 Swan Technologies PC... then to 386 Packard Bell... Then I lost track..486, then a p3...

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • howardsl2howardsl2 Member
    edited June 2015

1993 Compaq 80486, Pentium 50MHz w/ 64MB RAM and 200MB HDD, 3.5" and 5.25" floppy, Turbo button, Genuine MS DOS 6.22

Cost: RMB 20000 (~USD 2500)

Pic of a similar PC:

Side note: Loved to play the two gorillas throwing bananas game and the "snake" game (Nibbles) in QBASIC under MS DOS. Anyone can remember those?

Thanked by 1XiNiX
  • kendidkendid Veteran

Commodore VIC-20, those were the good ol' days. Upgraded to a Tandy 1000 (original) and started my first BBS on that -- ah, the days of Fidonet!

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • Rob92Rob92 Member

Some Pentium II Gateway machine. 20GB HDD and 128mb of ram I believe

• easyeasy Member

pentium 3, 128ram,onboard vga with 20gb HDD

• Bruce said: MicroAce. taiwan kit computer - copy of ZX80. 1K RAM B&W "graphics"

One of my colleagues has a working ZX80 and ZX81 with a box on the back from extra RAM. Horrible thing.

My first machine was an Amiga 500, that was a very cool machine.

Thanked by 1XiNiX
    edited June 2015

Guys, if you have pics plz share the same. Thanx.

• rds100rds100 Member

XiNiX said: I still remember using "Pine" on unix , God i miss those good old days.

I'm still using pine. Ok, it's called "alpine" now.

Thanked by 1XiNiX
  • My first machine its the reason i'm crazy about computer it was a IBM machine form my Uncle old and got in a small fire and case melted but my cousin fixed it for him But it was very slow than his P4 3Ghz machine so he gave it to me over the years i figured out how to change the OS from windows 2000 to linux i this have the system now it runs i use it for Pfsense firewall

spec P4 1.4Ghz(i think),40G HDD, IBM ThinkCentre in a wooden board

• ehabehab Member

atari 130xe then my father got a Mac Plus it change/set my life to machines.

• elgselgs Member

Pentium 133, 16M Ram, 2G Quantum Bigfoot, Creative Sound Blaster in 1998.

• adxnadxn Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2015

40 GB HDD

128 MB RAM

Windows 95

Pentium 3

and a fat monitor!

it was my 4th birthday gift from my dad! and the first thing I did on it was played my first video game ( Beer Truck )

• Can't remember but it was a Fujitsu. I think it was a pentium 3 or something and it ran Windows 98

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited June 2015

Texas Instruments TI-99/4A

Thanked by 1bitseeker
  • deadbeef said: 8088 with a Mathematical Co-Processor and 20MB HDD.

Same here, except I only has a 10MB HDD :(

Cost just under $3,000. Ran a bastardized thing called PC-DOS.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
    edited June 2015

@sleddog said:

"Basterdized" lol !!

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

I remember our first servers - IBM PC Server 300 series and Netfinity 1000. I think we even have one 300 still running somewhere. The 5.25 SCSI HDDs which you can use instead of bricks :)

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • Shiney and brand new :)

Thanked by 1XiNiX
    edited June 2015

@dediserve said:

Shiney and brand new :)

Amazing !!

Thanked by 1dediserve