Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Custom billing/control panel - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Custom billing/control panel

Comments

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2012

@Corey said: What's wrong with boxbilling now?

I haven't said anything against BoxBilling, but it's $5.95 per month, and WHMCS or CE has a lot more features for $9 more. I would prefer WHMCS, and people might think that I'm an awful host if I use a free billing system.

• @dominicl
    YDGH has used WHMCS since we started.... we just recently started using boxbilling with something else and it's unanimous that boxbilling is better for us. Personally I've used CE on some other projects as a general billing system... and it was great but it seemed messy.

What features do you need that boxbilling does not have?

@Corey said: YDGH has used WHMCS since we started.... we just recently started using boxbilling with something else and it's unanimous that boxbilling is better for us. Personally I've used CE on some other projects as a general billing system... and it was great but it seemed messy.

What features do you need that boxbilling does not have?

Well, I am not 100% sure as I haven't looked at all the modules that Boxbilling has, but I am not sure if it has a SolusVM module with Auto-set up?

I suppose i could make Boxbilling integrated and customize it a bit to give it a good look. Got a few bugs, but other than that I suppose it's fine. I am not sure what people think when they see a free billing system though.

• Thats not the point. even if you are reselling you can still provide support to your clients. its just a advice to cut cost so you can spend the rest on the money on somthing else.

Most reseller accounts comes with free whmcs so you can use it. just have to pay for the reseller account. remember you can survive much longer when reselling.

For my case even when i come back to LET i would still get my own servers.

You can get your own servers if you wanted to . that is up to you.

This is a friendly advice;-)

@Randy said: even if you are reselling

I would prefer not to resell if I have a node to use ;-) You would get your own servers too - you have more access to them and can do whatever the hell you like (within reason). I don't mind cPanel resellers, but I don't like VPS resellers really.

• Automated can cut your load too

• RandyRandy Member
    edited August 2012

Ahh. undrrstood. but yeah get a web hosting reseller account;-) and make use of the WHMCS

• many people claim them self as linux sys admin, in fact, if something going wrong, they start searching via google.

• @dominicl said: if it has a SolusVM module with Auto-set up?

It has a solusvm module with auto setup. Everyone here is ripping on you for not reading the Docs.... this is clearly stated in the docs.

Boxbilling for startups is free... but if you want to lift your restrictions the $5/mo is very competitive. Personally I don't think anyone will rip on you for using a 'free' billing system as long as it gets the job done.

• @Zen said: That's pretty standard practice because you should always be learning something new - no one is the god of knowledge and there will always be something new to learn.

If you run into a problem or something goes wrong, the chances of it being something completely new that you have not dealt with before are higher than the chances of it being something you already know about - because most issues you have are based on misconfiguration of some sor

I was JUST about to post the exact same thing :)

Thanked by 1Zen
  • RandyRandy Member
    edited August 2012

Unbranded helps

Yeah, I suppose. Thanks for the input. But if I already have a node which I can pay for, personally for the next 10 months, and by then I should be getting $100 or so which will cover nearly all the cost of the node then I don't see point in reselling

• @dominicl said: Yeah, I suppose. Thanks for the input. But if I already have a node which I can pay for, personally for the next 10 months, and by then I should be getting $100 or so which will cover nearly all the cost of the node then I don't see point in reselling

Until you own a datacenter you will always be reselling something... and even then you will be reselling power and bandwidth! :)

@Corey said: Until you own a datacenter you will always be reselling something... and even then you will be reselling power and bandwidth! :)

Haha, yeah true. I'm not co-lo'ing. It's a Dedicated Server in a popular datacenter like most (or a lot) of providers ;-)

• @dominicl said: Haha, yeah true. I'm not co-lo'ing. It's a Dedicated Server in a popular datacenter like most (or a lot) of providers ;-)

From our experience this isn't the best way to go because they will charge you out the ass monthly to throw a raid card in there with more drives - that's one reason we own all of our hardware.... disk IO in this industry needs to be insanely fast :)

@Corey said: From our experience this isn't the best way to go because they will charge you out the ass monthly to throw a raid card in there with more drives - that's one reason we own all of our hardware.... disk IO in this industry needs to be insanely fast :)

True true. Most places start on a reseller/Dedicated Server and then possibly co-lo later on when there is a good income. I've been given a quote which includes 2xHDD's in Software RAID 1.

• RandyRandy Member
    edited August 2012

Glad that you never took a onboard RAID card lol

Thanked by 1PacketVM

@Zen said: This is why I love having awesome contacts..insanely amazing renting deals.

Lucky you ;-)

• of course we can googling, but not everytime we got problem :) that's why we must learning some basic before.

I've meet with someone claim him self as linux expert, once I ask him "what command to use to see uptime on linux"
    he say : what's uptime? gimme a sec :D

edited August 2012

@tommy said: I've meet with someone claim him self as linux expert, once I ask him "what command to use to see uptime on linux"

he say : what's uptime? gimme a sec :D

Haha, that's a good one. I'm not that bad haha. ;-) I don't use google for simple things, maybe more complex things as has been said in this thread.

@Zen - not sure I understand that?...

@Zen said: Do not thank my post, for my profile has sustained a total count of ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY THREE 'thanks'.

Oh, I get it now. :P I won't, i'm not that mean

@Zen said: I'm on a roll of off topic destruction today.

I can tell :)

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

We can write custom control panel for you, closed source, all your reqs on all OS (including AIX, HP-UX etc.). Development time 6-8 months and aprox. 50k EUR total (without tax) :)

@gbshouse said: We can write custom control panel for you, closed source, all your reqs on all OS (including AIX, HP-UX etc.). Development time 6-8 months and aprox. 50k EUR total (without tax) :)

Lovely..not. I think as has been suggested by many in this thread - BoxBilling, CE or WHMCS it is. ;-)

edited August 2012

@Zen said: Nice to know, actually. Page has now been bookmarked - you shall be summoned in approximately 4387 days, 13 hours, 4 minutes, and 27 seconds.

Zen = thread derailer ;-)

Why am I in a good mood today..Strange :?

• Because u dont have to pay the bills ;-)

• @gbshouse said: We can write custom control panel for you, closed source, all your reqs on all OS (including AIX, HP-UX etc.). Development time 6-8 months and aprox. 50k EUR total (without tax) :)

Building this stuff ain't easy, I'm sure 6sync's Biscuit took a while to develop, plus it was probably done by them inhouse which means they are fully invested in making it awesome (from what I can tell they're working on a new version atm too). Outsourcing the project probably might not give you the same polish.

Then you have to consider all the unknowns/bugs & whatnot. Which is exactly why most people go for the WHMCS/Hostbill option.

• @dominicl Trust me brother when I say this: you need a nice nest egg that you can crack if you want to start a hosting company, and you need several quality servers in a good data center to boot. Paying for WHMCS and SolusVM should be the least of your worries. Also, no matter how hard you will look you won't find anything better to work with than WHMCS, SolusVM and cPanel short of writing your own software solutions, or hiring someone to write them for you, and that can be expensive. Just for a basic VM control panel you need a couple of developers that know Ruby on Rails amongst other things. And the last thing you need if you gonna run a hosting business is to be financially stable so that you can deal with any problems that's thrown your way. If you can accomplish everything here then go right ahead and get started. One thing I didn't mention is designing a custom website, but you can always buy this: http://themeforest.net/item/hostingsquare-hosting-wordpress-theme/142578?WT.ac=search_thumb&WT.seg_1=search_thumb&WT.z_author=templatesquare

• @serverbear to my 6sync looks like a web hosting company that understands quality. I like their web site as well. The only I don't like is them using Zopim. I have never liked Zopim live chat, but I guess to each with his own :)

Thanks for the input guys ;-) Appreciated. WHMCS/CE/BoxBilling would be the way to go I think. Not sure which one yet, but they do the job don't they.