Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which VPS hosts to test? Speedtesting and Ping, first VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which VPS hosts to test? Speedtesting and Ping, first VPS

bubiebubie Member
edited August 2012 in Offers

Hi, I don't know a better thread title.
I'm searching a VPS host. This VPS shall be used for getting a US IP and watching videos etc. So US VPN to Germany basically.

I'm looking for 128Mb Ram mainly, HDD space not important. But Bandwith rather 200GB+

So I started to test some of them.
Some didn't provide a testfile.

Which should I test else?

I made this excel.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtM9BacNH47edG1YcE94N01Jd2dDSWw1TjM1SVp1ZFE
(pls tell me if you can't access the file, I set the security to "anyone who has the link can access")

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Off that list, go with ChicagoVPS or BudgetVM, they have adequate ping and network. Look for BudgetVM are similarly priced as BuyVM and they have stock and good network. On the other hand, BuyVM might be better in buffalo, their west coast location sucks for EU.
    M

• The test result from buyvm you see in my spreadsheet actually is from Buffalo, NY. (row 7)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I thought they will have better network in buffalo.
    I have a VPS with BudgetVM and tests were good while I am further away than you.
    Go with the Chicago location.
    M

• Did you also test Hostigation?

• no, because they are out of stock.

I got an offer from fliphost, added their test into the spreadsheet.

• @klikli said: Did you also test Hostigation?

@bubie said: no, because they are out of stock.

Ping @miTgiB he might have some hidden stock.

• Thx for the advice rds100.

Added results for Hostigation, have to make a break because I must shutdown pc because of thunderstorm and lightning.

• bubiebubie Member
    edited August 2012

This is all dependent on daytimes and general load of the internet structure.
    You can see that the later hostigation test dropped.
    And also both budgetVM locations dropped significantly.

So I will test my top3 at different daytimes.

It seems my nodes get full in the evening, when people come home from work.

Red fields are tests at evening/rush hour.

• After having tested some more and added IPXcore and edis.at
    I would choose a host, that doesn't drop significantly in the evening hours.

So, constant speed in my location do provide only ipxcore, securedragon.net,vps6.net
    Considering the higher price of vps6 (37,95$/year, 500GB Bw) only ipxcore (21,48$/year, 200GB Bw) and securedragon (24,90$/year, 500GB Bw) are left.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Would you mind checking our Atlanta location?

• Yeah I would, but I only found your post there
    http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/4111/ramnode-30-off-for-life-and-more-space-ssd-vpss-from-3.50mo-raid10-1gbps-e3-cpu
    But those IP and test file you posted there, they aren't in Atlanta. They show up being in Kansas.

• Mind testing ours? :P

Test IP: argon.node.simpleno.de (23.29.124.226)
    Test File: argon.node.simpleno.de/100mb.test

• bubiebubie Member
    edited August 2012

@Nick_A
    In the mean while I tested with the Kansas location and inserted the results into my spreadsheet which is linked in the first post.

@SimpleNode I will and add it to my spreadsheet

EDIT: goodnight, tomorrow evening (in about 18 hrs) I will be adding a SimpleNode test in rushhour

@bubie said: In the mean while I tested with the Kansas location and inserted the results into my spreadsheet which is linked in the first post.

Can you please show me how you got Kansas? I've never seen that and I'm not able to reproduce those results. What IP did you trace?

• johnjohn Member

Most submarine cables to Europe terminate around the New York/New Jersey area. To get the best pings/speeds, you would want to look around this area.

Reference Map: http://www.submarinecablemap.com/

• bubiebubie Member
    edited August 2012

@Nick_A said: Can you please show me how you got Kansas? I've never seen that and I'm not able to reproduce those results. What IP did you trace?

Of course I can.
    I went here to the last post, which is yours
    http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/4111/ramnode-30-off-for-life-and-more-space-ssd-vpss-from-3.50mo-raid10-1gbps-e3-cpu

I entered the IP 199.241.28.6 into this http://en.wikimix.info/ip/199.241.28.6 or this
    geoip.flagfox.net (geoip.flagfox.net/?ip=199.241.28.6)

Both websites show Kansas

Ok, that IP is bound to a server in Atlanta which I have physical access to, so it's certainly not in Kansas :P

Please try a traceroute or MTR over command line if you'd like an accurate result.

• bubiebubie Member
    edited August 2012

I fixed the entry in the spreadsheet from KS, to GA.
    Traceroute doesn't help, since it time outs at some point.

Routenverfolgung zu test.atl.ramnode.com [199.241.28.6] über maximal 30 Abschnitte:

1    1 ms    1 ms    1 ms  fritz.box [192.168.178.1]
      2    36 ms    37 ms    37 ms  rdsl-krlh-de02.nw.mediaways.net [213.20.56.137]
      3    36 ms    37 ms    36 ms  xmws-krlh-de02-chan-17.nw.mediaways.net [213.20.220.230]
      4    36 ms    37 ms    36 ms  rmws-krlh-de01-gigaet-1-0-0.nw.mediaways.net [62.53.223.71]
      5    52 ms    52 ms    51 ms  rmwc-stgt-de01-pos-15-0-0.nw.mediaways.net [213.20.220.225]
      6    52 ms    51 ms    52 ms  rmwc-brln-de02-ge-2-3-0-0.nw.mediaways.net [195.71.212.189]
      7    52 ms    52 ms    51 ms  rmwc-brln-de01-chan-1-0.nw.mediaways.net [62.53.164.33]
      8    73 ms    71 ms    70 ms  So3-3-0-0-grtparix1.red.telefonica-wholesale.net [84.16.10.213]
      9    71 ms   114 ms    72 ms  XE1-0-0-0-grtparix3.red.telefonica-wholesale.net [213.140.36.158]
     10     *        *        *     Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.
     11     *        *        *     Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.
     12     *        *        *     Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.
     13     *        *        *     Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.
     14     *        *        *     Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.
     28     *        *        *     Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.
     29     *        *        *     Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.
     30     *        *        *     Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.

Ablaufverfolgung beendet.

And pathping doesn't work either.

Routenverfolgung zu test.atl.ramnode.com [199.241.28.6]
    über maximal 30 Abschnitte:
      0  Mandiko-PC [192.168.178.12]
      1     *        *        *
    Berechnung der Statistiken dauert ca. 0 Sekunden...
                Quelle zum Abs.  Knoten/Verbindung
    Abs. Zeit   Verl./Ges.=   %  Verl./Ges.=   %  Adresse
      0                                           Mandiko-PC [192.168.178.12]

Ablaufverfolgung beendet.

How can I make the results appear as code? I clicked on the "c" for code in the textbox but it doesn't highlight.**

• SimpleNodeSimpleNode Member
    edited August 2012

Code works here... o.o

• how did you do that?
    As you can see my test results are wrapped into "`" signs, but it doesn't work.

Also made a complete testrun (of the hosts I still would consider). And tried to make it within half an hour, to make it as comparable as possible.

• BoltersdriveerBoltersdriveer Member, LIR
    edited August 2012

@bubie: Use < pre > tags.

Thanked by 1bubie
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2012

Not sure if it matters but I run my VPN for Netflix and Hulu on a 32MB VPS (I think IPXCore still offers 32MB plans, not sure about VPS6). Just throwing it out there to save you some money. ;)

Thanked by 1bubie
  • @bubie said: As you can see my test results are wrapped into "`" signs, but it doesn't work.

Yeah, it's just wrapped in "`".

• vps6netvps6net Member
    edited August 2012

Hi bubie, thanks for your consideration!

If it might help you (or anyone else) decide on a new VPS plan, I have little gift for you. For the next 72 hours only, I'm offering a coupon for 25% off any semi-annual or annual VPS subscription, with double RAM and double bandwidth included as well. Any plan, any location, any virtualization type (OpenVZ, Xen, Windows)!

This takes our VZ-128 package down to $28.46 paid annually, and would include 256MB RAM and 1TB bandwidth. The code is: AUGUST-LET-2012

Or, at hardly a few dimes more in cost, you could go with the XEN-128 package annually for a little extra power -- just $29.96 with the coupon.

Don't wait; let me know if you have any questions. :-)

Thanked by 2FluX bubie
  • @vps6net

is there a LAN IP for your xen vps?

and pptp/ppp/tun enabled?

• Promotional Code: AUGUST-LET-2012

25% One Time Discount?

• I see we are top of your list for average download speed... awesome :)

Currently, our lowest end plan is 512MB RAM w/250GB bandwidth, however PM me with the specs you want and I can get you a custom quote.

• @ynzheng said: @vps6net

is there a LAN IP for your xen vps?

and pptp/ppp/tun enabled?

Yes, all of the above.

• I'm pending between buyVM and budgetVM at the moment.
    Both are 15$/year have the same specs.

Anything you want to add in favor of or against any of these two?

I can't buy yet, I have two wait till tomorrow for my transfer to my prepaid-credit card to be completed.