Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KVM Snapshot / AutoInstall / Custom ISO?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KVM Snapshot / AutoInstall / Custom ISO?

concerto49concerto49 Member
edited August 2012 in General

Hi,

I found it very tedious to be installing the ISO from every KVM I have. Is it possible to create a master template somehow like OpenVZ and apply it to future KVMs? I know it's technically possible, but maybe I'm asking if providers provide this or if it's something SolusVM can do etc?

Thanks.

Thanked by 1jcaleb

Comments

• @Mon5t3r said: Here and here

I haven't found that on the providers I've used. So it's just a matter of waiting?

• i use it for testing only and make my client aware about the BETA status.

• Expand: I haven't found that on the providers I've used. So it's just a matter of waiting?

I thought you bought some KVM VPS from me, or was that just OpenVZ?

• @miTgiB said: I thought you bought some KVM VPS from me, or was that just OpenVZ?

OpenVZ. Looks like I'll have to go to you for KVM too :p. Oh! I remember I was waiting for the SSD Cache from you for KVM!

• @concerto49 said: Oh! I remember I was waiting for the SSD Cache from you for KVM!

ok, well the nodes are built, just waiting for the CacheCade key to try that out and compare it with flashcache. The 1gb of cache on this raid card is wow

[root@e5la19 ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=32k conv=fdatasync && rm -f test
    32768+0 records in
    32768+0 records out
    2147483648 bytes (2.1 GB) copied, 3.44605 s, 623 MB/s

• @miTgiB said: ok, well the nodes are built, just waiting for the CacheCade key to try that out and compare it with flashcache. The 1gb of cache on this raid card is wow

Awesome.

• @prometeus any chance of implementing KVM templates? ")

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@concerto49 said: any chance of implementing KVM templates? ")

At this point we will wait for the template feature to be released with the next stable release of SolusVM...

For our internal provisioning we use PXE with kickstart for centos and preseed for debian / ubuntu. Do you need to install / reinstall more?

• @prometeus said: For our internal provisioning we use PXE with kickstart for centos and preseed for debian / ubuntu. Do you need to install / reinstall more?

Haven't started - latency to Europe is very high from here and the GUI installer doesn't play nice. Moved on to doing other things after realizing we'd have to go through the install screen. So if we can get debian on them until SolusVM releases the templates that would be good.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@concerto49 said: So if we can get debian on them until SolusVM releases the templates that would be good.

After I complete this interminable node migration I'll prepare a standard install preseed for you. Please open a ticket so we can talk about the details :)

• @concerto49 said: I found it very tedious to be installing the ISO from every KVM I have. Is it possible to create a master template somehow like OpenVZ and apply it to future KVMs? I know it's technically possible, but maybe I'm asking if providers provide this or if it's something SolusVM can do etc?

Even without using the SolusVM beta this is possible we have been doing this for 9 months now.

• @LV_Matt said: Even without using the SolusVM beta this is possible we have been doing this for 9 months now.

Tried :( UK location out of stock.

• @concerto49 said: Tried :( UK location out of stock.

Let me see what we have available.