Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Positives & Negatives of Shared vs VPS Hosting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Positives & Negatives of Shared vs VPS Hosting

DillybobDillybob Member
edited June 2015 in Providers

I'm curious about the positive and negatives about offering shared & vps hosting.

This is geared towards host's that that are offering shared hosting right now, or if you are a vps provider that has offered shared hosting in the past. (From the host's perspective)

Comments

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Argh, no WHT-style thread titles, please.

Thanked by 1TarZZ92
  • joepie91 said: Argh, no WHT-style thread titles, please.

Okay, fixed. Seriously though, I want to know the positives and negatives from a host's perspective of these two.

• Chargebacks

• BuyAdsBuyAds Member

@Dillybob said:
    I'm curious about the positive and negatives about offering shared & vps hosting.

This is geared towards host's that that are offering shared hosting right now, or if you are a vps provider that has offered shared hosting in the past.

Lol this is crap

• VS VPS, if unmanaged... You're on your own.

Thanked by 1tr1cky
  • DillybobDillybob Member
    edited June 2015

@nexmark said:

VS VPS, if unmanaged... You're on your own.

I mean from the host's perspective, not the client's. Like does offering shared bring in more revenue or less than offering vps hosting (for example, don't quote me on this lol but differences like that).

• Less problem with shared hosting. You set up cPanel or Directadmin and litespeed for stability then a cloudlinux and you are ready to go. Make backup every day and rent a stable dedicated server. And wait... then just make vat invoices what i really hate with a program... :)

Thanked by 1Dillybob
  • DillybobDillybob Member
    edited June 2015

ZweiTiger said: Less problem with shared hosting. You set up cPanel or Directadmin and litespeed for stability then a cloudlinux and you are ready to go. Make backup every day and rent a stable dedicated server. And wait... then just make vat invoices what i really hate with a program... :)

So if a provider is offering VPS hosting, you would say they are 'tech savvy, and well versed in the linux field and know what they're doing', as compared to someone just offering Shared Hosting they just want to make a couple bucks on the side off their dedi server and not spend much time managing it? Would that be a fair statement? Because the more I think about shared hosting, the more it scares me how easy it could be for someone to set it up... Rent a Dedi Server, get a cpanel license and you're off?

Oh and buy a corporate tile at WHT to make yourself trustworthy lol I'm being facetious, but you know what I mean.

• nexmarknexmark Member
    edited June 2015

@Dillybob said:

The shared hosting market is extremely saturated, compared to the vps market share.

For example if you have a $2/ year shared hosting package

And a $2 / year VPS hosting package.

A potential customer may already have hosting, however with a VPS it's a complete different behavior. (observed here in LET)

Basically this..

Crazy shared hosting offer... "Okay"

Crazy VPS Hosting offer... "I must buy 3, even though I already have like 5"

An existing customer who may already have Shared hosting is less likely to purchase more shared hosting, because well.. it's not needed.. While a VPS while not needed some may have the temptation more to go for that.

However due to the nature of shared hosting, less tickets :)

Thanked by 1Dillybob
  • ZweiTigerZweiTiger Member
    edited June 2015

@Dillybob said:

No. Its more harder to set all and manage. You need skills. set up is easy but to keep it stable you need skills. You know. You cant be a doctor without diploma. You need also company.. So you need skill and money.

Thanked by 1Dillybob