Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ARIN gets another surprise 3x /8's! Policy changes to RIPE-like, pay to receive, no justification! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ARIN gets another surprise 3x /8's! Policy changes to RIPE-like, pay to receive, no justification!

Comments

• deployvmdeployvm Member, Host Rep

@trewq said:
    I'm on the NBN. It's amazing. 100/40 24/7. Love it.

There's a lack of NBN FTTP (before Liberal) or even FTTN in WA's northern suburbs. It's sad, only ADSL2+ is available.

• wychwych Member

linuxthefish said: I wonder what will happen with home ISP's, many at least in the UK have little to no IPv6 support...

Yep, VM missold me on my new internet and told me I have IPv6, they finally admitted they have no ETA for a rollout either.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@wych if you need a tunnel to VM I can help you out :).

Thanked by 1wych
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I found it funny that businesses can get ipv6 but not residential customers...
    In Romania it is the other way around, residential customers can get it at any time at least from RDS, while businesses not, because it is "experimental". I had the difficult choice to move to a business plan for a fix IPv4 but in the same time losing IPv6... So, no, I got another connection for that, and routing IPv6 over the old RDS one.
    TBH, IPv6 SHOULD come first to the end users which will then demand to businesses, in the end offering cheaper access IPv6 only with a paid add-on for ipv4, for example. Sadly, only one debian mirror here supports ipv6 and it is not much better in other countries, while ubuntu is much worse than that.

Thanked by 1netomx

Maounique said: "experimental"

Have you told them they've overslept 6Bone ? :-)

It is experimental since 2011...

• UrDNUrDN Member

@Maounique said:
    It is experimental since 2011...

Ridicule, at orange.fr it's experimental since 2006 :-)

• MattKCMattKC Member

My isp finally turned on 6 last week...they are still rolling out some markets (they cross 22 states but are a smaller isp with bulk in midwest/south).

Well. All major transit carriers support IPv6 already. All major IX support IPv6 already. Since RIRs are assigning IPv6 addresses they are not experimental.

It's a good excuse to avoid spending 5 figures+ USD on network equipment per router, but... They'll have to do it anyway, at some point.

• @linuxthefish said:
    I wonder what will happen with home ISP's, many at least in the UK have little to no IPv6 support...

We'll probably get IPv6 support in like 2020.

Sky are interested in other things right now, like this shit

I bet when we do get IPv6 support, we'll only get a single IPv6 IP too, not a /64

And then when websites ban /64s like they should, we'll all be fucked.

For home ISP in the UK I recommend Enta.net and their partners (if you are looking for a partner just PM me, we have existing relationship with them and will happily arrange something for you). Full IPv6 support (/56) for ADSL and FTTX, static IPv4 or subnet if needed.

• rds100rds100 Member

I am not aware of any residential ISPs here offering ipv6. I am not aware of any residential clients asking for ipv6 either.

@rds100 what country are you from ?

• rds100rds100 Member

@Clouvider Bulgaria

edited June 2015
    Thanked by 1rds100
  • rds100rds100 Member

@Clouvider indeed i just saw it on their web page. It's still not advertised anywhere, in commercials, etc. But i am glad at least they have added it as an option.

edited June 2015

RDS did not advertise it either, apart from participating in ipv6 day some years ago. It does not sell, few people know about it, even people from sales at RDS itself. I asked about the business plan I had with some company i worked for, they said no, I only have one IP, not 6, when asked about IPv6, in spite of the fact that the contract mentioned 8 IPv4. Any moron can work in any company at sales, even if they have no idea about the products they are selling.

Thanked by 2rds100 Shade
  • NeoXiDNeoXiD Member
    edited June 2015

My brilliant ISP is "feverishly working on deploying IPv6" since 2006. Every status update so far (happens about once a year) was "we're still working hard on it", "it's on our radar", "we're going to deploy it soon™"... Atleast there's Tunnelbroker/SIXXS... :(

For me, one of the main factors when selecting home broadband was IPv6... But maybe I'm just too nerdy.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@Clouvider said:
    For me, one of the main factors when selecting home broadband was IPv6... But maybe I'm just too nerdy.

My guess is that probably puts you in the minority. But that's ok!

• NeoXiDNeoXiD Member
    edited June 2015

@Clouvider said:

DSL is not available, Fiber neither, Satellite is slow as hell and freaking expensive, so Cable is the only option which is left. And there's only one Cable ISP per town, so... take it or stay offline. If I would have a choice, I would choose native connectivity too, YouTube over HE sucks sometimes... The faster IPv6 is deployed everywhere, the happier I am.

Anyways, back to the topic: I'm still wondering why ARIN doesn't take that matter more seriously? Not going to be fun when a lot of people are still stuck with IPv4 connectivity and providers have to buy IPs for a even more ridiculous price.

edited June 2015

@jbiloh that's probably right :)

NeoXiD said: I'm still wondering why ARIN doesn't take that matter more seriously? Not going to be fun when a lot of people are still stuck with IPv4 connectivity and providers have to buy IPs for a even more ridiculous price.

Thats' the policy their members have chosen. RIPE opted for conserving the space so new providers can still get their own IPv4 space, so they limit up to /22 per LIR from the last /8.

ARIN members on the other hand have opted for more brutal solution unfortunately, or... fortunately. When there will be no IP addresses left some will finally start considering (or not...).

Thanked by 1NeoXiD
  • InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@Clouvider said:

So, who did you end up going with?

@Infinity Enta.net. We partner with them to delivery direct connectivity to the Cloud for some of our Customers. They are quite good.

Enta gives /56 IPv6 and a fied v4 (or subnet if requested).

• I'm with a company called Karoo in the UK and they've had native IPv6 for ALONG time and their not even a big company.

• Thank goodness Bell Canada (my ISP) has a backup pool of addresses.

Anyway, Bell gives dedicated IPv4 addresses to every household, so I am pleased (at the moment)... at least until they switch my connection to IPv6 and give a NAT IPv4 :/

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

Clouvider said: ARIN members on the other hand have opted for more brutal solution unfortunately, or... fortunately. When there will be no IP addresses left some will finally start considering (or not...).

They reserved a /10 for assistance with the transition to IPv6. There hasn't really been much discussion about how that will be allocated yet, but I suspect it will involve a bunch of small blocks something similar to what RIPE or APNIC has done.

Thanked by 2Awmusic12635 NeoXiD
  • J1021J1021 Member

jbiloh said: My guess is that probably puts you in the minority. But that's ok!

Is that the same minority group of data centres without IPv6?

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

@qps said:
    They reserved a /10 for assistance with the transition to IPv6. There hasn't really been much discussion about how that will be allocated yet, but I suspect it will involve a bunch of small blocks something similar to what RIPE or APNIC has done.

They allocate /28 to /24 for all ISP or business in need for a DNS 6rd, 6to4 etc. Once my ASN max and need to be approved my ton of people in ARIN. I can't remember the page on the website where is state and I'm on my phone.

• BuyAdsBuyAds Member
    edited June 2015

Why they do not produce IPv5 with 5 fields (125.100.200.300.50)?
    Can this be in the future?