Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ARIN gets another surprise 3x /8's! Policy changes to RIPE-like, pay to receive, no justification!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ARIN gets another surprise 3x /8's! Policy changes to RIPE-like, pay to receive, no justification!

NOT!

I hope everyones ready -- IPv4 ARIN is almost ALL GONE!

http://teamarin.net/category/blog/ipv4/

(that was June 2nd, and that /11 is GONE + more)

With the /11 leaving the pool, all that's left is:

>

1 /16
1 /20
3 /21s
4 /22s

>

By the end of this week or so, all IPv4 will be exhausted at ARIN except for /23s and /24s.

Thanked by 1Clouvider

Comments

• You all think IPv4 running out is a problem? Wait till oil runs out lol.

• SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2015

The world is not ready to transition to ipv6

• J1021J1021 Member

SSDBlaze said: The world is not ready to transition to ipv6

Oh okay. We'll hold off IPv4 exhaustion then. /s

• @SSDBlaze said:

The world will never be ready.

Thanked by 1lifehome
  • @elwebmaster said:
    The world will never be ready.

I'm not ready either. Other than that, bless the fact that we have the ability to copy & paste on our computers. Memorizing IPv4 addresses seemed to be difficult - but IPv6 is the killer.

• @doghouch said:
    I'm not ready either. Other than that, bless the fact that we have the ability to copy & paste on our computers. Memorizing IPv4 addresses seemed to be difficult - but IPv6 is the killer.

All those v4 IP label on machines will not have enough space for their v6 address(es).

Thanked by 2netomx BensDaMan
  • @lifehome said:
    All those v4 IP label on machines will not have enough space for their v6 address(es).

True, but that kind of proves that we aren't ready for IPv6.

Thanked by 1lifehome
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2015

doghouch said: Memorizing IPv4 addresses seemed to be difficult - but IPv6 is the killer.

Nah. I remember our subnet and most important hosts within :-).

Unfortunately for many ISPs it's still a loooong way to go...
    https://labs.ripe.net/statistics/?tags=ipv6
    http://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html

• Is anyone thinking as soon as it's "depleted" they will go, "oh.. we found some more IPs in the back closet, here you go everyone!.. oh you want a /24? here have a /19 instead!"

ARIN's version of a "money grab" rather than a providers version of "IP Grab"

• @doghouch said:
    Memorizing IPv4 addresses seemed to be difficult - but IPv6 is the killer.

Imagine if there was a system that resolves easy to remember names to IPv6 addresses! Oh, wait...there is this DNS thing...

Just suck it up guys, time to break up with the stone age. All my devices are on IPv6.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

I am quite convinced that IANA will step in and provide more space to ARIN, and others.

• My ISP doesn't even give out IPv6 addresses yet, probably never will...

• Way to go ARIN!

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2015

AutoSnipe said: Is anyone thinking as soon as it's "depleted" they will go, "oh.. we found some more IPs in the back closet, here you go everyone!..

You can already observe if this has happened at RIPE or APNIC. And nope it didn't. At best, you can hope to buy address space from other providers and companies, at ever-increasing prices.

• doughmanesdoughmanes Member
    edited June 2015

The OVH IP scam is you pay a $3 one time "setup fee" for each IP

• ATHKATHK Member

@SSDBlaze said:

Funny you mention that.. One of the biggest ISPs in Australia doesn't even support IPv6 for Customers.. Only businesses...

• @ATHK - iiNet is doing this with me now, they want me to upgrade to business plan to get IPv6, Telstra i am pretty sure has it available over all except mobile. BUT... the NBN = 0 IPv6 connectivity as far as I can see..

• AutoSnipe said: @ATHK - iiNet is doing this with me now, they want me to upgrade to business plan to get IPv6, Telstra i am pretty sure has it available over all except mobile. BUT... the NBN = 0 IPv6 connectivity as far as I can see..

Had to upgrade to business to get a static IP too. So much for that.

• concerto49 said: So much for that.

Yep, i think it was around $40/m difference (for the same bw etc, just with static IP + IPv6). and in my area, where the internet is constantly going down.

Wasn't really worth it to me, personally I don't want to go onto the NBN either, dare say it's going to be full of false promises, like everything else from the government. But heh..

• ATHKATHK Member
    edited June 2015

AutoSnipe said: Telstra i am pretty sure has it available over all except mobile.

Nope, no IPv6 for residential .. I'm a customer .. been asking for years.

At least not in my area. But businesses .. are fine no matter where they are.. which is total bs.

• @ATHK - ahh fair enough, all i know my parents have it, when i went over and visited them over easter, they must have sprung for SOHO more then likely then.

It's not enough to say we have horrible connectivity world wide and pay outlandish amounts for internet with pretty crap bandwidth allocations, but.. they could at the LEAST get with the times!

• AutoSnipe said: Wasn't really worth it to me, personally I don't want to go onto the NBN either, dare say it's going to be full of false promises, like everything else from the government. But heh..

Had no choice here. Fiber built from the start where I live. Needed the static IP for "work". Oh well. Time for plan B. I'll provide it to myself soon :p

• @doghouch said:

What about DNS or using local ipv4?

I wonder what will happen with home ISP's, many at least in the UK have little to no IPv6 support...

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@AutoSnipe said:
    Wasn't really worth it to me, personally I don't want to go onto the NBN either, dare say it's going to be full of false promises, like everything else from the government. But heh..

I'm on the NBN. It's amazing. 100/40 24/7. Love it.

• @doughmanes said:
    The OVH IP scam is you pay a $3 one time "setup fee" for each IP

A setup fee differs from a monthly fee.
    And the setup fee is one time.

Thanked by 2netomx BensDaMan
  • trewq said: I'm on the NBN. It's amazing. 100/40 24/7. Love it.

I don't. Still lags. Still congestion. Until that's fixed.

• nexmark said: A setup fee differs from a monthly fee. And the setup fee is one time.

Until they start charging again.

• Ole_JuulOle_Juul Member
    edited June 2015

@hostnoob said:
    My ISP doesn't even give out IPv6 addresses yet, probably never will...

Same with mine and I'm sure they never will transition. They gave me a free v4 IP just for the asking though. I'm probably the only one that knows what that is around here and everyone else in the valley is on the same single IP.