Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Learn Node.js for €100! (~5 hours of one-on-one tutoring)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Learn Node.js for €100! (~5 hours of one-on-one tutoring)

joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
edited June 2015 in Offers

I've been doing Node.js code review and tutoring for a while now, and I figured I'd try my hand at running a promo.

So, for the coming week, I'm offering five hours of Node.js tutoring for only €100 (about $113 at current exchange rates).

That's €20 per hour, a 20%-60% discount over my usual rates of €25-€50! :)

In these five hours, I'll be getting you up to speed with Node.js - you'll learn all the basics you need to get started with it, and find your way around. The tutoring is one-on-one, so you get 100% of the attention and time, and you can ask any questions you have in the process.

This offer is valid until June 24, 2015.

What you will be doing and learning

We'll go through the basics of Node.js, Express, and Jade. You'll build a very simple 'real-world web application' - for example, a to-do list, a shoutbox, a blog, or anything similarly basic that you might feel like building.

By the time we're done, you will have a basic working application, and a good foundation to start building more complex projects.

The different topics we'll address:

• Setting things up (installing Node.js, creating a new project, searching for and installing modules)
  • Javascript and Node.js mechanics (callbacks/async, error handling, promises, creating modules, prototypical inheritance)
  • Express.js (Express.js itself, Jade, common Express.js middleware)
  • Databases (PostgreSQL, Knex)
  • Anything else that might come up while building your small project.

Requirements

• Motivation to learn.
  • A code editor (some good options are Brackets, Geany, Notepad++, etc.)
  • The ability to access GitHub Gist; if you are in China, you may need a proxy.
  • A basic understanding of HTML and Javascript syntax (not strictly required, but without this prior knowledge, we probably won't be able to finish in 5 hours).
  • A basic understanding of how to operate a terminal/commandline.

You can use any operating system, but keep in mind that Windows can cause problems with Node.js sometimes - you will need to install Visual Studio, not all Node.js modules might work out of the box, and Windows has some issues with long paths. If you have the ability to work/test on a Linux or OS X system, that's preferable.

You don't need to have experience with programming, this is for both beginners and more experienced developers! As long as you understand the basics of HTML and JS syntax, you should be fine.

A database will be provided, you won't have to set up PostgreSQL yourself (although it's advisable to learn this at a later point, of course).

Price

€100 for 5 hours. If you meet the requirements listed above, it shouldn't take longer than that. Note that this must be paid upfront. You can pay through Bitcoin, PayPal, or SEPA transfer.

If you already know the basics of Node.js, you may also use the 5 hours for other Node.js-related tutoring - however, keep in mind that I can't guarantee we'll be entirely finished within those 5 hours. I'm also still available for other work at my usual rate :)

Alright, where do I sign up?!

Simply send me a PM on here, e-mail me at [email protected], or talk to me on XMPP ([email protected]) or IRC (joepie91 on Freenode)!

We'll discuss availability, and try to find a time slot that suits you.

Thanked by 2netomx jureve

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Nice offer I would take you up on it if I had time.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@AnthonySmith said:
    Nice offer I would take you up on it if I had time.

5 hours isn't a lot of time, though - the duration of a long barbecue session :)

Aside from being Vegan (I guess that does not exclude me completely) the last time I had a bbq session was 1997 :p

Anyhow, I think if I was going to do this I would need to spend 5 hours before hand brushing up on other things first!

AnthonySmith said: Aside from being Vegan (I guess that does not exclude me completely) the last time I had a bbq session was 1997 :p

You can do a vegan barbecue! I know plenty of people who do that with some regularity.

AnthonySmith said: Anyhow, I think if I was going to do this I would need to spend 5 hours before hand brushing up on other things first!

Hmm. Am I misremembering that you already knew basic HTML and JS?

• joepie91 said: You can do a vegan barbecue!

I'd be genuinely interested in what you're serving there (no sarcasm, real interest).

Also, nice offer :-)

• NickUKNickUK Member

Do you need to have any knowledge of any other language?

joepie91 said: Hmm. Am I misremembering that you already knew basic HTML and JS?

I don't know any JS.

• krs360krs360 Member
    edited June 2015

@AnthonySmith Vegan?! I may have to seek an alternative hosting provider :P

Joking of course ;)

My partner has been a vegetarian since the age of 5, which effectively means I am now a veggie to as making separate means would be a ball ache!

@ OP

It's an interesting offer but I genuinely lack the time to do anything more than work at present! :(

mpkossen said: I'd be genuinely interested in what you're serving there (no sarcasm, real interest).

Basically just the usual 'fake' meat using soy, corn, vegetable mixes, and so on. For things that fall apart easily, you can put them on a piece of aluminium foil, to keep them from falling through the grills. For less fragile things (like 'fake sausages') you can just put them on the grill directly.

It's not really all that different from regular 'vegan meat', you just happen to put it on a barbecue! That's what I've seen being done here, anyway - maybe other people do it differently.

@NickUK said:
    Do you need to have any knowledge of any other language?

No need :) As long as you understand the basic HTML and Javascript syntax, that should be enough. Most of programming is learning through experience, anyway.

It might actually work out a bit easier if you don't have any experience with other languages at all - JS has a few things that work very differently from most 'mainstream' languages, and I often see PHP/Python/C/Java developers having some trouble adjusting to that. So, starting "from a blank canvas" might end up being easier.

AnthonySmith said: I don't know any JS.

Fair enough. You can always try and see if that JS syntax page gets you anywhere - it's a whirlwind tour through the syntax, more or less.

krs360 said: It's an interesting offer but I genuinely lack the time to do anything more than work at present! :(

Never knew LET users were so strapped for time :)

• @mpkossen said:
    Also, nice offer :-)

Tofu burgers. Tofu steak. Tofu Tofu.

• dlaxotn2dlaxotn2 Member
    edited June 2015

Any reviews? Why learn from you specifically, when there are tons of other paid/free resources? Things that you said you're going to cover seems basic, which can be picked up pretty quick.

Just curious.

dlaxotn2 said: Any reviews?

None on the web (yet), I only fairly recently started doing this as paid work.

You could ask in #Node.js on Freenode, though, I often help people out there. I'd normally say you could look at my npm modules and other projects, but if you're just getting started with Node.js/programming, that probably wouldn't be very meaningful...

dlaxotn2 said: Why learn from you specifically

Fair question. I understand most of the Node.js internals, write production code in it, and have been teaching people (both informally and as paid work) for a few months now, with generally good results, according to feedback from others.

I tailor my method of teaching to the person I'm teaching - I'm pretty good at understanding how people think, what kind of things they get stuck on, and how to explain it in a way that makes sense to them. As I have some 10 years of experience with back-end software development, I also understand well what's needed in a real-world application (rather than just 'in theory').

Plus, I focus on teaching people things the right way - secure and maintainable from the start (and I can be rather direct towards people to accomplish that). Not just "it functions, my work is done", but actually teaching people to write good code :)

when there are tons of other paid/free resources? Things that you said you're going to cover seems basic, which can be picked up pretty quick.

Yeah. It depends on the person, really. Many people can do self-directed learning, but some people get lost in all the information, and need somebody to hand-hold them through it, so to say (at least in the beginning).

There don't seem to be any really good 'complete' Node.js tutorials around yet, so that makes self-directed learning a bit harder as well. Added bonus of tutoring is that you can ask any kind of question - even those that would be hard to Google (or those that are unlikely to be answered on the web).

That said, if you learn best by cobbling together information on your own, then by all means do it that way! You should learn whichever way works best for you.

• I wish you the very best with this, hope it's a great success.

Thanked by 1joepie91
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited June 2015

Nice service, I really like the look of node.js however I will stick with PHP for the time being. Whilst I think your an ass generally your knowledge is top notch. Ever thought about setting something up like laracasts.com but for node.js? I can't think of any downside in terms of popularity and ability to earn.

Lee said: Whilst I think your an ass generally

No disagreement there - my goal is ultimately to be helpful and constructive, but if being an asshole is needed for that (and it often is), then that's what I'll do.

Lee said: Ever thought about setting something up like laracasts.com but for node.js? I can't think of any downside in terms of popularity and ability to earn.

Certainly no intention to, I don't like artificially restricting knowledge. If I'm going to be writing generic educational materials (and I do!), they should be accessible to and reusable by anybody, for free.

By purchasing my tutoring services, you're paying for my time and availability, not for knowledge :)

Thanked by 1Lee