Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WebHostingTalk Worst of the Hosting Industry - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WebHostingTalk Worst of the Hosting Industry

Comments

• alexvolkalexvolk Member
    edited June 2015

@Profforg said:
    I hope LET will be here around and not die. Even when it's owned by colocrossing, free speech is here and i did not see that in other forums. Sad for me that LET auditory seems decreased in last two months by 4x factor (2M monthly -> 500K monthly) and no idea where does they go :)

I think two possible issues:

Regarding searchengines, I completely agree with you. I want to add that there a lot of member with high reputation who thinks that they are PRO but in reality noobies! New members will get negative reputation if some noob decide that he knows better than him! Haha! That's reality !

Thanked by 2Profforg frank
  • DillybobDillybob Member
    edited June 2015

Microlinux said: They don't. I think you put too much stock into the sway WHT has. In the grand scheme of things, they make tiny ripples. That being said, yes, I think it has gone severely downhill.

Call the Internet Police!

They are a huge percentage of the hosting industry though, you can atleast agree on that. One thing I'd like to mention is about 2 years ago, my Indian friend across street wanted to create a website for his new Restaurant he was opening up.

I told him hey, no problem I'll be more than happy to create your restaurant menu & site. A few days later, he calls me up and tells me he found a host at webhostingtalk. I said oh really? Who are they? He says 'StableHost', I said 'are they reputable?', he says 'Yeah, this profile has a forum badge' (he was viewing their profile/ad on WHT). I said "ohh, okay sweet let me look them up and I'll get back to you". So, you know, I googled StableHost, found some reviews did the background stuff. Then, I got back to Raji and told him yeah you found a good host, nice job!

What if it was GreenValueHost instead of 'StableHost'? Would it be fair for my Indian friend who just wants a stable/fair hosting provider to have to deal with what GreenValueHost did to all it's customers? What if I wasn't even there to help him? He instantly thought that host was trustworthy just by his 'forum badge' (what he probably meant was corporate tile). Stuff like this is a prime example at how WHT plays a signficant role in the hosting industry in an extremely belittering and negative away. It's an absolute atrocity and they need to be held accountable for their false promise forum tiles. Regardless if it's a public or private entity is irrelevant, what is relevant is how they offer a 'fake' corporate tile that makes you instantly trustworthy for ANYONE who has the money to buy. That's the same logic as buying a light-bar on Amazon and becoming a police impersonator the next day and pulling people over. You're not an officer, you're an impostor. Same logic applied to these tiles, only a few are reputable hosts.

• alexvolk said: there a lot of member with high reputation who thinks that they are PRO but in reality noobies! New members will get negative reputation if some noob decide that he knows better than him! Haha! That's reality !

Yeah, that's fully correct.

• LeeLee Veteran

Nothing new, in fact many of these discussion appear on WHT itself around memberships, value, reliance on badges for visitors and so on. There was a fairly lengthy discussion on it recently actually. I was one amongst many to say it needed to change.

Still strikes me as odd though, your sudden out pouring against WHT. From your profile of the same name you have been registered for years but now all of a sudden felt the need to go all out on them. I smell BS from you, there is more to this than you are letting on.

• Horse noises at 15:16

edited June 2015

Lee said: Still strikes me as odd though, your sudden out pouring against WHT

My main account on WHT was banned 2 days ago for no reason whatsoever. I find that hilarious how they enforce rules out of their own jurisdiction. I have a feeling it's because of me exposing their corporate member benefits in that Cest Pit thread several days ago. After the ban, I figured I'll just make a video about the benefits instead.

• instatechinstatech Member
    edited June 2015

I used to visit wht in the past but now wht has lost its charm now I spend my time on let instead of wht.

• k0nsl said: LET/LEB is known to be a shill front for CC shell companies or 'companies' affiliated with CC. Shady practices galore, etc,. Plus a bunch of other things which I have no energy to even list because at this point I'm not really giving a crap about it.

Care to back that up for us, please?

PremiumN said: That's the only criticism i have with LET. It takes ages for the mods/admins to remove any bad stuff. Looks like more mods are needed over here.

The hard part is finding good mods without an ulterior motive. I've got two invitations pending.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited June 2015

Dillybob said: I have a feeling it's because of me exposing their corporate member benefits in that Cest Pit thread several days ago.

You are full of your own self importance I will give you that. When the prices went up on Corp not so long ago it generated this thread on WHT.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1451996

Everything and more was discussed in that thread, the tone was clearly one of unhappy members, the point is that you are neither exposing or raising anything new.

Dillybob said: What if it was GreenValueHost instead of 'StableHost'? Would it be fair for my Indian friend who just wants a stable/fair hosting provider to have to deal with what GreenValueHost did to all it's customers?

So now it's the responsibility of WHT that someone could make a bad choice because of a badge, nah, that's bollocks. It's a forum , there is a search function. If someone goes to any forum with millions of posts and bases a buying decision simply on a members profile without any other checking on that forum then they need to have a word with themselves. You need to educate that friend to stop him being an easy victim for the many schemes that awaits his stupidity. Can he not just be your friend instead of an "Indian" friend?

VPSBoard has badges, under names it says "verified provider", the verification carries no more weight than a badge on WHT. In fact I would say that it's more of an endorsement to unsuspecting visitors than premium or corporate. Only by searching on VPSB will you find that having a verified badge/title is not stated as being an endorsement.

WHT has without doubt went downhill however there are more reasons for that than just management. Providers and what they are have been offering whilst trying to capture their own little market share are as much to blame for the shaping of the traffic over time.

So yes hold the management of WHT responsible for what you can but also make sure you hold the providers accountable for their part.

Thanked by 2jar Pwner
    edited June 2015

Lee said: VPSBoard has badges, under names it says "verified provider", the verification carries no more weight than a badge on WHT.

Wrong Wrong Wrong. Yes it does, on WHT you paid $1,400 for that, on VPSboard you pay zero. (AFAIK, dont quote me on this plz). You cannot just disregard the money factor here.

So, for you to say 'I'm not exposing anything new', did you go visit HostingCatalog.com lately, and do realize that is a perk for a benefit. Do you mind (you can whenever you want) to tell me how getting your company posted there is of any benefit whatsoever? That place is dead and has ad's for dial up still on it. But hell no, it's a perk for paying $1,400 a year. #WHTLOGIC

You did not address my concern of WHT acting out of their jurisdiction. But instead, you babbled about me calling my 'friend' an 'Indian friend', I better repent or I'll burn in hell for that. Father forgive me.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited June 2015

As much as I dislike WHT, I have to agree that they are far less important than you give them credit for. How is AWS doing? How well known are they? How many times a week do they post offers there? WHT is not that big of a deal. Sure, they're big, but in the big picture they're still nothing to write home about. Facebook ads are worth far more than spamming every thread on WHT, IMO.

Also, attempting to to knock them down a peg will have no result. You won't educate people on LET and VPSBoard in a way that helps your friend across the street to not come across WHT. People still will, and as long as helpless newbies land on the site so will anyone who preys on helpless newbies for a little cash.

Personally, I'd rather not have sales from WHT (for MXroute), after seeing what it did for Catalyst. The most fraudulent orders came from there, never reeled in a fish worth bragging about from that pond. It's just not where you go to get more than a few legitimate, long term, paying customers in my opinion.

Let the newbies and the $0.01 yearly shared hosts have their fun. The rest of us will be elsewhere.

Thanked by 2Lee Pwner
  • LeeLee Veteran

Dillybob said: Wrong Wrong Wrong. Yes it does, on WHT you paid $1,400 for that, on VPSboard you pay zero.

What has money got to do with it for your average visitor? If you friend for example makes a decision based on a badge with no other research then he can't know that one charges for that badge and the other does not. To him they offer some form of protection.

By your own story telling if he visited VPSBoard he would not research, so the result could be the same, he may have ended up buying from a GVH ad when they were active there in the past.

Your logic is flawed there.

Yes I am aware of the hostingcatalog and other issues, the only point I am making is that these issues are being raised often on WHT and you are not highlighting anything new.

Again, I am not saying they are not valid points.

What I am saying is that someone has burst your balloon and you want revenge, I can smell it from you.

Thanked by 1mikho
    edited June 2015

Jar said: Facebook ads are worth far more than WHT, IMO.

Hell, that's just more reason not to use WHT or become a corporate member.

Jar said: You won't educate people on LET and VPSBoard in a way that helps your friend across the street to not come across WHT.

That's not the point though, that anecdotal story was to set an example of the average joe that is looking for a host that is being mislead by corporate tiles and false promises within WHT.

edited June 2015

Lee said: What has money got to do with it for your average visitor? If you friend for example makes a decision based on a badge with no other research then he can't know that one charges for that badge and the other does not. To him they offer some form of protection.

No, your logic is absolutely flawed. Money has a HUGE impact and factor for a visitor deciding trustworthiness. If someone see's a corporate title on WHT, that user most likely checks how much that title costs. If it's $1,400 as compared to NOTHING (your argument about VPSBoard) ohhh absolutely it will have an impact of the customer's decision making on whether or not to give that guy more credit/trust. You're telling me, the amount of money someone has donated is irrelevant to whether or not the average joe thinks a little bit more highly of them? Yeah, only in a perfect world. And only if WHT actually did QA & BI checks. But guess what, we both know they do not, your argument really holds no merit.

Lee said: Yes I am aware of the hostingcatalog and other issues, the only point I am making is that these issues are being raised often on WHT and you are not highlighting anything new.

Really? And why hasn't anything been done then? What does it take??

Lee said: What I am saying is that someone has burst your balloon and you want revenge, I can smell it from you.

And it's people like you who are defending WHT that makes my blood boil.

You haven't even said anything about how WHT moderated my main account outside of their jurisdiction. Which they have a right to do whatever they want to any account for any reason, but specifically mine, for what cause? Exactly. Cause I said some comments regarding Bear's cataracts and how their benefits for corporate members are garbage? Haha...

• OnraHostOnraHost Member
    edited June 2015

In all honesty:

1. WHT gets companies far more customers then LET does/ can and has for years.

2. The quality of customers from WHT are 1000000000000 times better then the customers that come from LET for the most part. The customers from LET for the most part either A. want the entire world for nothing, B. Are a SPAMER, C. A combination of both.

3. WHT market is much more diverse. Shared, Reseller, Dedicated, Cloud, etc. etc.

4. No stupid damn pricing limits. I know this is LowEndTalk, but come on. Quality service and Price go hand-in-hand for the most part. LE* for the most part just gives a huge help to all the summer hosts and the ridiculous pricing. Then the customer complains a month or two later.

You can disagree all you want LET fanboys/WHT haters, but WHT is far better at this point. You can hate the rules and cooperate memberships all you want...but if any of you owned WHT you WOULDN"T CARE AND WOULD BE DOING THE SAME THING THEY ARE!!! It's a business...theres a resin why their succeeding and you guys are closing shop :p

Thanked by 1Lee
  • 4n0nx4n0nx Member

I'd appreciate a TL;DR instead of the video. All I know about WHT is that uiehsig had a "corporate" account there and those who were around 2+ months ago know how it ended.

• LeeLee Veteran

Dillybob said: If someone see's a corporate title on WHT, that user most likely checks how much that title costs.

OK, I am done with you. If you could hear everyones laughter on hangout right now at that one....

Good luck, I won't bother you with my nonsense any more.

edited June 2015

Lee said: OK, I am done with you. If you could hear everyones laughter on hangout right now at that one....

Good luck, I won't bother you with my nonsense any more.

By your logic, you're saying a new visitor who see's a corporate 'title' under a username doesn't go to the 'Memberships' link out of curiosity to see how much those badges cost? Haha, you couldn't be more wrong. Cya. That's the first fucking thing I did when I first visited WHT years ago, and I know I'm not the only one.

• @Dillybob said: They are a huge percentage of the hosting industry though

Maybe it looks that way to you, but not really.

edited June 2015

Microlinux said: Maybe it looks that way to you, but not really.

Who else is bigger? WarriorForums is the only place I can think of, but that place has minimal web-hosting forums. More of a marketing / SEO / customer relationship type forum if any.

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited June 2015

Hosting has been one of the most competitive spaces online since the beginning of the web. There's no one place that's 'definitive' of the space. WHT may be seen as one of the more prominent places but is by no means a big deal.

The whole topic seems misguided. There isn't anywhere that's offering a truly impartial option + measure of hosts and there's no scoring metric to measure them.

The 'top 10 hosts' type sites is just a by-product of affiliate marketing.

Every single hosting 'resource' I've seen has a commercial element. That seems to be about the length of it. Not sure if there's anything 'new' here.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited June 2015

OnraHost said: WHT gets companies far more customers then LET does/ can and has for years.

Speak for yourself. Almost all of MXroute's clients come from here, never really had much luck with Catalyst or MXroute on WHT. A select few may see a reasonable bit from sticky threads, etc. But overall, just advertising on WHT does not get you sales. Not unless you're posting bottom of the barrel offers.

I do so well from LET that I consider it my secondary income. LET is amazing if you know how to get people what they want at the prices they want to see.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

mpkossen said: Care to back that up for us, please?

https://vpsboard.com/topic/2927-all-threads-ever-set-to-sunk-on-lowendtalkcom/

I seem to recall him documenting other threads that had been set so only logged in users could see them, hence thwarting them from showing up in search engines.

I honestly do not care (it's just LET) but that's what people usually point to.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Dillybob said: Really? And why hasn't anything been done then? What does it take??

Dude, it's a forum - one of many. What exactly were you expecting to be done about it?

• @Dillybob said:
    Who else is bigger?

I'm talking about in general. WHT in no way controls, dictates or influences the hosting market at large. It's a microcosm, in the big picture.

Thanked by 1jar
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

I for one think WHT is an outrage.

Thanked by 2Dillybob NexHost
  • Well said OP.

Thanked by 1Dillybob
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2015

Lee said: VPSBoard has badges, under names it says "verified provider", the verification carries no more weight than a badge on WHT. In fact I would say that it's more of an endorsement to unsuspecting visitors than premium or corporate. Only by searching on VPSB will you find that having a verified badge/title is not stated as being an endorsement.

Thanks for the feedback, though that's not entirely correct. The "Verified Provider" badge is only given to those who have been in business for X amount of time, have provided us proof of business registration (Linked legal documents with their state or local government showing business registration, type and current operating status), have public WhoIS, etc.

Of course it's not a leak proof system nor an endorsement as I've stated in the past. The brands we all know and love such as GVH, CVPS, etc are all "Verified Providers". As they too met the requirements.

It's more or less just an attempt to help keep some of the riff raff out and feature only actual legitimate operations. We have also banned GreenValueHost after his suicide scare as it was made very clear during the ordeal and the discussions that:

1.) Jonny is a compulsive and habitual liar.

2.) Jonny desperately seeks attention.

3.) Jonny gives zero shits about his customers.

When this became apparent we said sayonara to him and banned him. And our hunches were right. After that ordeal GVH spiraled to well, worse than it was. There had been multiple last minute / no notice migrations. Non-stop bad reviews on WHT where he was allowed to run rampant. I believe his WHMCS DB was dumped as I know his attatchments released to the public that contained customer IDs and passports and credit cards. His customers were given away in a scheme that is comical. He re-opened his doors, and then he closed again shortly after. It's a joke of an operation and shouldn't have been confused with an actual business.

The comparison between the Verified Provider tag that is based and given to those through a verification process and WHT's paid graphic badges differ the most at the point where I banned him. And here is why.

Jonny didn't buy that title. I did not guarantee him that title either. When he fucked up time and time again I had no problem canning him both for his mental health safety but as well as for the safety of those who visit the forum. I don't have to worry about chargebacks from his membership, "boycott" because he paid for this and didn't receive it or other childish tamper tantrums caused by someone who paid for something but did not receive in full what was purchased.

I am not certain that WHT would have canned him sooner had he not purchased the title, but we all agree it should have likely happened sooner.

The only good thing that the Corporate / Premium badges gives you is the ability to chat in the chat thread and that went downhill over the years. Me and you and several others used to consistently bicker and have fun in those old chat threads back when they were lax and before we moved to Google Plus. Other than that I don't see much benefit besides being able to spam your offers more. :P

• @raindog308 said:
    I honestly do not care (it's just LET) but that's what people usually point to.

Fair enough, but that list doesn't say much TBH. There's a broad variety of threads on there. If anything it may make us look not biased, based on my quick scan of it.

• I had somebody show me a screenshot of the drop of posts and traffic from WHT.

That place is seriously bleeding out and almost dead