Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WebHostingTalk Worst of the Hosting Industry
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WebHostingTalk Worst of the Hosting Industry

DillybobDillybob Member
edited June 2015 in General

Finally finished rendering this. People who are hosting providers deserve better, be careful out there. You can view click links in the video's description.

Comments

• I'm surprised someone made a video of it :)

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited June 2015

Ah come on ... it's just some random bigger online forum and personal choice if you want to visit it or not. There's nothing to be upset about. Or maybe is if you really care about someone's other property?

Thanked by 3Mridul Lee Grimley
  • Make sure to file a complaint with their hosting provider as well.

http://whois.domaintools.com/69.167.156.26

• DillybobDillybob Member
    edited June 2015

Spirit said: it's just some bigger online forum and personal choice if you want to visit it or not.

They own a large market of the hosting industry and are misleading new visitors trying to look for a reputable host. Bear even admits it himself on that post in the video that they do not do quality insurance or background checks, but let's them post 'ads'. That in itself is unethical and disrespectful for the average joe who is trying to find a host and has really no idea about the background of hosts but just goes off of someone's forum 'corporate title'. You could say well, that's the persons fault for not doing a background check themselves. That's the issue though in it's entirety because that person/average joe guy looking for a host should do that ALREADY, and not rely just on WHT. We cannot sit back and let WHT control everything and make hosts 'seem reputable' when all they have to do is pay a price with no background checks, anyone could spend $1,400.

I would have no issue about the corporate title if they did periodic background checks on companies.

Now, about the benefits these corporate/premium tiles give... are just unbearably sad. Which I tried to outline in the video.

• Do you realize the amount of time you've spent on this? Think about all the better things you could do.

If you care about others, volunteer (for example). Just my point of view.

Thanked by 1Pwner
  • jhjh Member

I think we all know this. WHT's prime era passed a long time ago. There are barely any serious hosting clients on WHT and the memberships are completely worthless.

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

@jhadley said:
    I think we all know this. WHT's prime era passed a long time ago. There are barely any serious hosting clients on WHT and the memberships are completely worthless.

I agree the only reason people post on WHT is for advertising reasons. People are not able to advertise outside of the ad forums which makes people post completely useless stuff as long as they can have their signature with links in the thread.

Thanked by 1HostedPBX
  • LeeLee Veteran

The OP appears to have a personal issue with WHT, someone over there clearly burst his balloon, but he is not saying why.

Thanked by 1Pwner
  • @Lee said:
    The OP appears to have a personal issue with WHT, someone over there clearly burst his balloon, but he is not saying why.

Perhaps hes banned like alot of other people that cant behave over there that complains about WHT. At LET they can behave like crap and get away with it most of the time.

• fitvpnfitvpn Member

Sounds like competitors battle in American style, create haters site or video on YouTube..

• k0nslk0nsl Member
    edited June 2015

Your narration is quite good (wrote too early: hence the edit).

Thanked by 1srvrpro
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2015

Dillybob said: Bear even admits it himself on that post in the video that they do not do quality insurance or background checks, but let's them post 'ads'. That in itself is unethical and disrespectful for the average joe who

Yet you post the complaint about them on another forum who's owners do even less checking and did not even admit to owning the forum to begin with and then later to owning a number of the hosts that post offers.

ironic much?

tl;dr learn to wipe your own arse.

• According to VPSB, apparently some members get co-operate memberships for free (including Jon) :O

edited June 2015

AnthonySmith said: Yet you post the complaint about them on another forum who's owners do even less checking and did not even admit to owning the forum to begin with and then later to owning a number of the hosts that post offers.

Are you talking about VPSboard? What do you mean exactly?

• sinsin Member
    edited June 2015

WHT is terrible - it's comical to open up a new thread there and go down the list of posts to see nothing but "what are your needs" or posts that are so far off-topic it's not even funny just to spam their sig. Then you have people with thousands of posts there that post complete nonsense.

It's refreshing to visit LowEndTalk and see actual conversations and great advice from members here that know what they're talking about not to mention all the great help from the LowEndHelpDesk support team.

Thanked by 1Droidzone
  • k0nslk0nsl Member

LET/LEB is known to be a shill front for CC shell companies or 'companies' affiliated with CC. Shady practices galore, etc,. Plus a bunch of other things which I have no energy to even list because at this point I'm not really giving a crap about it.

@Dillybob said:

Are you talking about VPSboard? What do you mean exactly?

• Glad that there are someone who understand that wht business is shitty. There are similar band in Russia called searchengines, which do the different thing, but also destroying the market - they promote selected hosting providers and services (their partners, who offer them free services or pay them) and remove complaints about them (add all all who write complaints to banlist). And the bad thing, is that tens thousands of regular users trust this forum and ask help there, just because no better big alternative exists.

I hope LET will be here around and not die. Even when it's owned by colocrossing, free speech is here and i did not see that in other forums. Sad for me that LET auditory seems decreased in last two months by 4x factor (2M monthly -> 500K monthly) and no idea where does they go :)

Thanked by 3sin alexvolk HostNun
    edited June 2015

sin said: It's refreshing to visit LowEndTalk and see actual conversations and great advice from members here that know what they're talking about not to mention all the great help from the LowEndHelpDesk support team.

Going to emphasize this a bit. I have 5 or more people in my inbox page here on LET that w/o them, I would be so far behind in where I am now in terms of learning linux and vps's (especially iptables); I have no idea where I would be. It's insane how helpful this community is. Quite the opposite experience at WHT though, I can tell you that.

Thanked by 1sin
  • ColoCrossing is getting better though - my IPs hosted with them aren't blacklisted anymore.

edited June 2015

k0nsl said: LET/LEB is known to be a shill front for CC shell companies or 'companies' affiliated with CC. Shady practices galore, etc,. Plus a bunch of other things which I have no energy to even list because at this point I'm not really giving a crap about it.

Aww yeah I get what @AnthonySmith's point is now. But isn't comparing LET to WHT basically apples to oranges? It's a totally different community / business practice. There are no corporate tiles here or paid 'stickys' AFAIK?

• sin said: WHT is terrible - it's comical to open up a new thread there and go down the list of posts to see nothing but "what are your needs" or posts that are so far off-topic it's not even funny just to spam their sig. Then you have people with thousands of posts there that post complete nonsense.

It's refreshing to visit LowEndTalk and see actual conversations and great advice from members here that know what they're talking about not to mention all the great help from the LowEndHelpDesk support team.

I agree.

Whatever the drama about the alleged sinister relationship between Colocrossing and this forum, the fact remains that LET works more like an actual forum. People speak their minds, and have fun, at the expense of idiots like Jonny. We get actual offers, and they get analysed by members, and people who don't have a clue regarding buying a VPS get inputs by reading criticism of offers.

The only time I read WHT is when someone over here links to an offer thread over there. And I'd actually registered in WHT a year before I even heard of LEB/LET. I'd realized quite early that WHT doesn't work like an actual forum, than an ad dump.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited June 2015

All you need to know about WHT:

• Write a bad review of a company the mods like, be unable to prove you were ever a client. It will be gone.

• Write a bad review of a company they love to hate, you don't need to be a client, it won't even disappear if someone reports it.

To put it simply, it killed it's usefulness by being unwelcoming to new members, inconsistent (but militant) with enforcing rules, and overly permissive of the "signature spamming" posts (which mean poor quality posts simply to inject the links in your signature).

WHT worked hard to make itself what it is today, it was their choice. It was my choice to stop participating in their game. I'm too old to be treated like a child by forum moderators. The industry moved on without WHT, you won't see Amazon in the VPS offers forum today.

Thanked by 3Dillybob Mark_R HostNun
  • Long time ago I often visit WHT to find and learn about hosting industry.

But now, LET become my primary forum.. never back to WHT again.. too many spam there.

Good job LET.

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • Wira_Soenaryo said: But now, LET become my primary forum.. never back to WHT again.. too many spam there.

Not only that, but it takes 3 seconds to refresh.... It's fucking horrid.

• Pretty sure there's a lot of caching going on WHT since of the amount of traffic they receive vs. LET.

• oh, looks like there's a niche for 'honest' 'unbiased' hosting reviews.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@ricardo said:
    oh, looks like there's a niche for 'honest' 'unbiased' hosting reviews.

My white whale!

LET is the best I've seen for legitimate reviews, because we don't mind letting the community rip them apart when something seems off. That's really the key to this place, letting people do their thing while the admins remove spam.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @Jar said:
    while the admins remove spam.

That's the only criticism i have with LET. It takes ages for the mods/admins to remove any bad stuff. Looks like more mods are needed over here.

• @Jar, yeah this place ain't bad, apart from the odd fascination with the likes of GVH.

Thanked by 3jar Mark_R TheKiller
  • MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited June 2015

Dillybob said: We cannot sit back and let WHT control everything

They don't. I think you put too much stock into the sway WHT has. In the grand scheme of things, they make tiny ripples. That being said, yes, I think it has gone severely downhill.

Call the Internet Police!