Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The end of Up2VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The end of Up2VPS?

jkr1711jkr1711 Member
edited August 2012 in Providers

“Anja B || Staff
Hello,

This node has been locked by Network And they refused set it back, We are Refund $4 the rest of time.

Thanks You,

Please feel free to contact us if you need any additional assistance.

regards,
Anja B

UP2VPS.Com- Choose With Confidence
Secure, Reliable, And Customer Friendly VPS Hosting”

I got that from them, looks like dead pool to me.

I asked them for a reason for why the node was locked, I got

“Hello,

Looks like someone using different IPS instead was assgin to us, The network refuesd back our node to check we offer paid 1K, however they still refuesd.

Thanks You,

regards,
Anja B

UP2VPS.Com- Choose With Confidence
Secure, Reliable, And Customer Friendly VPS Hosting”

Not sure what they’re trying to say as their English is horribly broken. But yeah, dead pool meat it seems. I guess that’s what happens when you use a budget dedicated server provider (Hetzner). I mean half of my friends on the Virgin Media ISP couldn’t even complete a full route to the VPS so it was no use anyway. Looks like they put all of their eggs in one basket and every single one of their customers with a German VPS has lost data and money. Smart move!

John

Comments

• And I was hoping their English would improve over time too...

• Hey, @liam where's the monthly deadpool chart? :)

Thanked by 2TheHackBox miTgiB
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Hey, @liam where's the monthly deadpool chart? :)

Summer is not over yet... :)

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited August 2012

Title is most likely written in anger and because of that very misleading. It's not like their unlucky node in germany would be everything they had as they offer hosting with atleast two .us locations way longer.
    Not that I try to defend them however using words as "the end", "deadpool", etc.. here is just bs.

edited August 2012

To me it sounds that someone on their VPS node asigned himself an IP from different subnet, not allocated to the provider (up2vps). Don't know how this is even possible, however there was a thread about that in WHT 2 weeks ago.

• It's not first host cancelled by Hetzner because "abuse" (ie. Nordic was down whole week once). It looks like those germans don't care if they lose client or two which isn't that hard to understand regarding circumstances (low prices, huge client base..)

Thanked by 3TheHackBox Mon5t3r tux

@Spirit said: It's not first host cancelled by Hetzner because "abuse" (ie. Nordic was down whole week once). It looks like those germans don't care if they lose client or two which isn't that hard to understand regarding circumstances (low prices, huge client base..)

Well, true. However on the other side there are hundreds of other hosts that sell through hetzner, even on LET without a problem for months/years. I guess it just depends on the host.

• IntcsIntcs Member
    edited August 2012

@Zetta said: And I was hoping their English would improve over time too...

It's the worst of the worst I've seen with vps providers :0
    But I've found them good! so not sure why they might close.

• "someone on their VPS node asigned himself an IP from different subnet, not allocated to the provider (up2vps). Don't know how this is even possible"

It's definitely possible to hijack an IP address: google Mac Spoofing or ARP cache poisoning.

When I used Cari.net years ago another one of their customers (a Brazilian spammer) hijacked the main IP of one of our dedicated servers which caused our server to become invisible to the world. Our server was dead in the water for a few hours while they traced down the problem and fixed the networking problem.

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • I'd say the datacenter is to blame. Putting all your dedicated server customers on the same vlan is stupid.

@DomainBop said: It's definitely possible to hijack an IP address: google Mac Spoofing or ARP cache poisoning.

When I used Cari.net years ago another one of their customers (a Brazilian spammer) hijacked the main IP of one of our dedicated servers which caused our server to become invisible to the world. Our server was dead in the water for a few hours while they traced down the problem and fixed the networking problem.

All my servers in different DCs are on seperate vlans. Also, doesen't solusVM have a feature against arp poisoning in it?

• @Alex_LiquidHost said: Also, doesen't solusVM have a feature against arp poisoning in it?

It does not.

@Damian said: It does not.

I remember it had this option:
    Tick to prevent IP stealing and ARP attacks
    I always thought that this protects from IP stealing and ARP attacks. Might be wrong, though.

• It does, but it disables IPv6 functionality, and disables traffic shaping for both IPv4 and v6.

• TazTaz Member

@Alex_LiquidHost said: To me it sounds that someone on their VPS node asigned himself an IP from different subnet, not allocated to the provider (up2vps). Don't know how this is even possible, however there was a thread about that in WHT 2 weeks ago.

What does that has to do with suspension/termination?

@Taz_NinjaHawk said: What does that has to do with suspension/termination?

Copied from their ticket answers to the OP:

“Hello,

Looks like someone using different IPS instead was assgin to us, The network refuesd back our node to check we offer paid 1K, however they still refuesd.
    Thanks You,
    regards,
    Anja B

• TazTaz Member

There has to be more to that story. One sudden occurrence like that shouldn't cause straight termination. Wonder if this was posted on WHT so maybe hetzner rep would clear up the confusion.

@Taz_NinjaHawk said: There has to be more to that story. One sudden occurrence like that shouldn't cause straight termination. Wonder if this was posted on WHT so maybe hetzner rep would clear up the confusion.

I remember I've read a thread about something similar (IP stealing), causing immediate termination.

• TazTaz Member

@Alex_LiquidHost said: I remember I've read a thread about something similar (IP stealing), causing immediate termination.

No WAY! WOW! Link please.

• @Damian,

We run it with our nodes and haven't had an issue yet and traffic shaping still works.

edited August 2012

@Taz_NinjaHawk said: No WAY! WOW! Link please.

Yeah, right, too lazy.. However when you find it, you can share it with us as well :D

@jshinkle said: We run it with our nodes and haven't had an issue yet and traffic shaping still works.

Was going to say the same thing, as I remember I enabled it as well.

• It does nothing for OVZ, it is only valid for Xen.

Hetzner is very strict when it comes to abuse.

• Exactly, so either way, OpenVZ and Xen are protected since OpenVZ is smart enough and have it built in and Xen has the option through the control interface.

• Sorry about the title but I was thinking that with such a major failing like this then customer trust would go down the drain? Either way I can see quite a few angry customers. I don't particularly care about losing the vps as most of my friends that I used the server with had routing problems and couldn't connect to it (Virgin Media ISP). I lost maybe a few hundred mb of uninmportant data, but maybe some unlucky others who had too much faith in them might have lost quite a large bit of important data without backups. But I guess that's their own fault. I don't think Up2VPS will ever have access to their client's data again as all I got was a partial refund with no explanation until I asked.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited August 2012

@jkr1711 said: ...all I got was a partial refund with no explanation until I asked.

This is the exact part I never liked with them. Lack of responsibility.

Hey, atleast they refunded you. It could have been worse :)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@jkr1711 said: might have lost quite a large bit of important data without backups. But I guess that's their own fault.

Correct, I dont trust important data to only one backup, only one redundant array not to mention a single drive I OWN, and a vps some hundreds of miles or even thousands by no means should be considered even remotely as safe...
    M

• jkr1711jkr1711 Member
    edited August 2012

Yeah true, but a bit of an explanation would have been nice before I get a skype call from a friend saying "RDC isn't working on the VPS" and me naturally going into overdrive mode asking if ip was typed correctly, firewall not blocking ports etc for a good half an hour :P

@Alex_LiquidHost said: Hey, atleast they refunded you. It could have been worse :)

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited August 2012

@Taz_NinjaHawk said: There has to be more to that story. One sudden occurrence like that shouldn't cause straight termination.

Ralf from Up2VPS posted Hetzner mail as proof.

Dear Sir or Madam

We have noticed that you have been using other IPs from the same sub net in addition to the main IP mentioned in the above subject line.
    As this is not permitted, we regret to inform you that your server has been deactivated.
    Guidelines regarding further course of action may be found at
    http://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/Leitfaden_bei_Serversperrung/en.
    Yours faithfully
    Your Hetzner Support Team
    17:16:xx c8:xxxx > 78:fe:3xxxx, ethertype IPv4
    (0x0800), length 60: 45.15xxx > 120.xx0: Flags [S],
    seq 305419896, win 16384, length 0
    17:1xxx c8:6xxx > 78:fxxx, ethertype IPv4

• I'm not sure why they didn't fight for their server back.