Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IP Allocation for new provider
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IP Allocation for new provider

shaanlshaanl Member
edited August 2012 in General

Hiya

I've been reading here and there about becoming a VPS provider, and I am aware of the cost implications, support issues, etc etc, but there is one thing that I haven't found an answer to.

How does one get a block of IP's? I'm sure this is something necessary for running a VPS business correct? Or do I just use one IP and assign class-c or class-d IP's to each VPS?

Comments

• In order to get a block of IPs you must first have 1024 assigned to you from upstream providers. (You will rent each ip address from your provider at first)

Thanked by 1shaanl
  • Do you mean, I get a dedi from a provider and tell them I would like to rent the IP's?

• @shaanl yes... then after you get 1024 you go to ARIN and get your own block.

Thanked by 1shaanl
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited August 2012

If I understood correctly when doing my reasearch, you can get it from LIR even if you do not utilise 1024 IPs. Still needs 2 independent peerings for AS.

Thanked by 2klikli shaanl
  • Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@shaanl said: Do you mean, I get a dedi from a provider and tell them I would like to rent the IP's?

Not exactly. You rent dedis and gather IPs as you go. You have to have a use for them (justification) or they won't provide them.

Thanked by 1shaanl
  • I'm assuming though saying I'd like to provide an IP for each VPS is not enough justification? I have an account with a provider here and have 2 LEB's with them, and the IP's are on a different c-class, that's atleast what I'd like to be able to do for my customers. Would they need justification for that as well?

• For IPs on different c-class they will probably just tell you "NO". It is not possible to justify this requirement and only providers who already have a lot of address space can afford to offer this.

Thanked by 2klikli shaanl
  • jhjh Member

Hi Shaan

Which region do you need IPs in? I know RIPE's policies are a little different to ARIN's.

Thanked by 1shaanl
  • @jhadley most likely the UK, it's the closest region to South Africa where I could get a dedi

• jhjh Member

@shaanl said: @jhadley most likely the UK, it's the closest region to South Africa where I could get a dedi

PM or email me with your complete requirements, I might be able to help you out as I have something in mind.