Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Google Apps Free - Account Closed - Lost Chromebook Storage offer
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Google Apps Free - Account Closed - Lost Chromebook Storage offer

edited June 2015 in Providers

I've just received this email. I've removed my domain from the email.

This seems like a big shame - time for me to move away from my storage plan for my google drive for that account, I guess. So I've got a month to find a new email provider and a new storage provider.

IMPORTANT: Your Google Apps account will close July 6, 2015

>

Hello Administrator,

>

Your .com Google Apps account was purchased from a reseller that violated our Terms of Service, with no right to sell it to you.

>

To avoid future issues, you need to know:

>

We're closing your Google Apps account on July 6, 2015.

>

You can still save your data. We recommend that you migrate your data no later than July 3, 2015.

>

You can register a new Google Apps account and your first 30 days will be free, along with support for the duration of the subscription. If you need to save any data from your existing account, you must migrate it no later than July 3, 2015, or it will be deleted.

>

We apologize for any inconvenience.

>

Sincerely,
The Google Apps for Work Team

It seems a bit weird because I've had this account for over a year, but I can't argue with their Terms of Service, I suppose. It seems frustrating when they punish the buyer, but the terms only say that you're not permitted to resell.

I've also got no idea what's going to happen to my free storage from my Chromebook :/

I'm also losing the 100GB of free storage that came with my Chromebook because of this - they argue that they cannot transfer it under any circumstances.

Time to move to the awesome MXRoute, I guess :)

Has anyone else received this?

Comments

• comXyzcomXyz Member

Is it Google Apps Free subscription? Google reseller can't sell Google Apps free subscription. They can only sell Google Apps for Business.

If it's free subscription, so it's weird.

• edited June 2015

@comXyz said:
    Is it Google Apps Free subscription? Google reseller can't sell Google Apps free subscription. They can only sell Google Apps for Business.

If it's free subscription, so it's weird.

Hi, it was a 10 user account that was free for lifetime. (I hope that answers your question - if I'm being unclear, please let me know).

• comXyzcomXyz Member

@YellowHummingbird do you know what reseller they're talking about?

Or you bought the domain from a seller like me?

• RizRiz Member

I have had two separate free accounts closed in the last month, one had no prior notice. Still haven't heard from "support" regarding it.

Thanked by 1YellowHummingbird
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2015

Bwahahah. The end of all that "buy a domain with free google apps" b/s.

Learn to run your own mail server. There are a couple of threads about that floating around on LET right now.

• edited June 2015

@rm_ said:

Learn to run your own mail server. There are a couple of threads about that floating around on LET right now.

Yeah, I don't really mind about that - they're within their right to close my account if it violates the terms, I'm more frustrated about the Google Drive storage and the fact I'm going to have to migrate all of that, and might lose the offer that came with my Chromebook - one of the main reasons I actually bought it.

I can't find any self hosted email panels with themes that look as beautiful as gmail though, which is a shame.

@comXyz said:
    YellowHummingbird do you know what reseller they're talking about?

Or you bought the domain from a seller like me?

It was (as far as I could tell), 1 person selling the accounts, not a big company or anything. I bought mine from https://www.gaapps.com/

• comXyzcomXyz Member

@YellowHummingbird I guess Google is doing something to prevent abusers then.

• @comXyz said:
    YellowHummingbird I guess Google is doing something to prevent abusers then.

Yeah, I guess they are. I can't blame them really.

• edited June 2015

Google Drive support replied to me. I'm losing my 100GB storage for 2 years that came with my Chromebook, too. It cannot be activated on another account.

• al3xtal3xt Member

Hmm.. The google strikes...

• edited June 2015

In the end, I just bit the bullet and deleted the free Google Apps account and created a paid one. To be honest, I guess 14 months of email hosting for the $15 that I paid is pretty good, and Google Apps is very reliable, so it's worth it for me.

Thanks to everyone who has helped/given feedback on here and via PM :)

• For those getting booted i suggest Fastmail.com as a decent alternative. I switched over from Google Apps last October and it has been good so far, there are many more configuration options available than in Gmail.

• @gsrdgrdghd said:
    For those getting booted i suggest Fastmail.com as a decent alternative. I switched over from Google Apps last October and it has been good so far, there are many more configuration options available than in Gmail.

Thanks for the suggestion :) I think I'll look at them in future for any new domains, they look very nice.

• comXyzcomXyz Member

@YellowHummingbird can you forward the email from google support to me? I will need to ask them what is happenning

• al3xtal3xt Member
    edited June 2015

@comXyz said:
    YellowHummingbird can you forward the email from google support to me? I will need to ask them what is happenning

@yellowhummingbird, you can trust comxyz, he knows what he is doing and he can really help you.

• DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited June 2015

@rm_ said:

It's not a simple question of learning to run one's own server. I haven't come across a single mail server software than can compete with features provided by Google. Sometimes one needs it to just work, and not spend hundreds of hours setting it up so that it can play catch up to an enterprise grade product like Google.

• zedzed Member

Enterprise grade product might be worth paying for.

Thanked by 1classy
  • BruceBruce Member

I wonder if this is an isolated incident or a change in policy at Google. will many other Gapps domains be affected by this.

maybe google need to reduce the number of free accounts. hope not, as I like my Gapps

Thanked by 1netomx
  • comXyzcomXyz Member
    edited June 2015

Not sure what is happening, but @YellowHummingbird said his friend deleted the Google Apps account, before I and another Google supporter can be able to help.

Let's wait for another victim, then we will know what is happening.

• @zed said:
    Enterprise grade product might be worth paying for.

Sure, if one's running a business on it.

comXyz said: @YellowHummingbird said his friend deleted the Google Apps account, before I and another Google supporter can be able to help.

He deleted what exactly?

• comXyzcomXyz Member

@Droidzone said:
    He deleted what exactly?

Google Apps account

Thanked by 1Droid
  • comXyz said: Google Apps account

I still don't get you. Did he disconnect the subscription from the domain?

• comXyzcomXyz Member

@Droidzone said:

His friend deleted the Google Apps account. Deleted the whole account, it means right now the domain doesn't have any subscription. Is it clear?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • edited June 2015

@Droidzone said:

I was sharing the account with a friend (Not something I have ever done before, but for this, it was a shared account that we were using for an ongoing project that lasted about a year, so it was worth it). When he saw the email, he migrated the data out and cancelled the subscription, then deleted the organisation.

I was in the process of contacting apps support at the time. They told me:

You received this notification as part of a campaign to crack-down on free Google Apps accounts that are illegally purchased on eBay (and other websites). Unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done to save the Google Apps account. It will have to be deleted, either by us, or by yourself, you can delete it manually and sign-up for a new Google Apps for Work account online.

When I finished, he saw this email (it emails a transcript after the support session) and did the migration/deletion for me.

I hope that makes sense :)

Thanked by 1Droidzone
  • comXyzcomXyz Member

@YellowHummingbird said:
    When I finished, he saw this email (it emails a transcript after the support session) and did the migration/deletion for me.

I see, so he has access to your email?

• edited June 2015

@comXyz said:

He had access to the main admin account, yeah, as that was the reason we had it - I was only using ny admin account with some unimportant personal domains as a way to get free email shortage.

(I'm not in the habit of letting other people have access to my "real" email addresses - this was designed to be shared though)

• comXyzcomXyz Member

@YellowHummingbird said:
    He had access to the main admin account, yeah.

I though the chat transcript only be sent to the logged in email. Maybe I'm wrong, I will need to chat with support again to test it.

• edited June 2015

@comXyz said:
    I though the chat transcript only be sent to the logged in email. Maybe I'm wrong, I will need to chat with support again to test it.

That's a good point. He told me he saw "the email about reselling" so I assumed it was that one - maybe it was the original email - I'm a little confused too now. I'll talk to him in person tomorrow.

• comXyzcomXyz Member

Anyway your account has been deleted, we don't have anything to do anymore.

Anyone if you receive the same email, please PM me, I will help you contact Google supporter to check what is happening.

• @comXyz said:
    Anyway your account has been deleted, we don't have anything to do anymore.

Anyone if you receive the same email, please PM me, I will help you contact Google supporter to check what is happening.

Thank you once again for all of your help, by the way. I'm really sorry to have wasted your time.