Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NAT VPS? How do they work?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NAT VPS? How do they work?

I see a lot of mega cheap deals here at http://list.lowendserv.net/ but a lot come with NAT IP instead of a dedicated IP.

Now, I've never worked on NAT IP's before, are they hard work or would it simply mean a shared IP and instead of listening on Port 80, you change the port to the assigned port?

So for example in my nginx server block, if I change port 80 to the one assigned, my website will work?

Thank you very much.

Comments

• spammyspammy Member

Not trying to discourage you but given your level of knowledge it might not be the best options as you have a lot more to adjust to when hosting wordpress sites on NAT VPS.

Also if you are really paranoid about privacy, NAT VPS might be an even worse choice since there is potentially a lot more customers squeezed on one machine and sharing the same port (although if the firewalls/forwarding are configured properly it shouldn't be too much of an issue). (Re: http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/49521/iniz-hosting-or-zeniva-limited-account-was-denied)

• WilliamWilliam Member

Sure, but your visitors of course have to add the port then as well.

• they're so cheap you can jsut buy one and see for yourself :)

• Highly recommended. Cheaper than a pint of beer.

• I am not worried about Privacy of the hosted files if that is the question?

It may not be a WP website could actually be just a html website.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Many providers of NAT VPS has a reverse proxy script in front which means that you can still serve webpages on port 80.
    All you need to do is to tell the provider (this can be automated with scripts or manual) what domain name your server will be responding to. Then you configure your webserver of choice "as usual".

If you use a control panel then it is recommended to change the listening port to one of the assigned ports.

• @mikho said:
    Many providers of NAT VPS has a reverse proxy script in front which means that you can still serve webpages on port 80.
    All you need to do is to tell the provider (this can be automated with scripts or manual) what domain name your server will be responding to. Then you configure your webserver of choice "as usual".

If you use a control panel then it is recommended to change the listening port to one of the assigned ports.

Is it really as simple as that?

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

If we talk about the companys behind LowEndSpirit there are 2-3 different ways.
    Inception uses SolusVM where you add the domain names. NanoVZ/MegaVZ/Deepnet/RansomIT all uses scripts (instructions in the welcome email).
    If you still can't figure it out, post in the forums. :)

Another option is to use Cloudflare to translate from IPv6 to IPv4. There is a guide for that in the forums and on the wiki.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

realbusiness said: Is it really as simple as that?

Might even be more simple than that :)

More info: http://forum.lowendspirit.com/viewtopic.php?id=1152&p=1

• Before spending some money, you can try vps.me, it's free and I think it's ok for testing

• Ok, I got my first NAT with evoburst and they do have solusVM but there is no mention of "Proxy Domain" in the solusVM

Not sure what to do now?

• http://www.megavz.com/howto.html

This helped, was fairly simple.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

realbusiness said: there is no mention of "Proxy Domain" in the solusVM

That feature is unique to Inception Hosting.

• Quick question

I used the script and pointed the domain to the external IP. Now even after installing nginx I see megavz.com holding page

Hosted By MegaVZ.com
    All sites hosted on this server are Proudly Hosted by MegaVZ.com, For Abuse Complaints pleae Create a ticket @ evoBilling.com

• @realbusiness said:
    Quick question

I used the script and pointed the domain to the external IP. Now even after installing nginx I see megavz.com holding page

Hosted By MegaVZ.com
    All sites hosted on this server are Proudly Hosted by MegaVZ.com, For Abuse Complaints pleae Create a ticket @ evoBilling.com

@AutoSnipe

• I had that but it started working after a while.

• @alaningus said:
    I had that but it started working after a while.

Same happened.

• Another problem, I managed to get it work but facing problem with www redirect.

www redirect still goes to the

Hosted By MegaVZ.com

I have checked the dns entries and it has a cname entry for www

• Do you mean you're redirecting another domain name to the one you setup using the proxy script?

• So would I need to run the proxy script again for the www.domain.com too?

• I believe so yes, because I think the proxy sees the domain name that is passed with the http request

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

@realbusiness said:
    So would I need to run the proxy script again for the www.domain.com too?

Yes, you need to do it for any domain or subdomain you point to your NAT VPS.

• I did it about an hour ago for the www.domain.com too but still takes me to

Hosted By MegaVZ.com

• It took over an hour for my domain to work. Presumably the proxy has a cache that updates periodically.

Thanked by 1realbusiness
  • @realbusiness

You might want to try asking on the LES forum. @RyanB supports nano/mega

• Will post a question because first time it happened a lot sooner.

• It was working this morning. Seems like it does take a little while for these to get active.

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

@realbusiness said:
    It was working this morning. Seems like it does take a little while for these to get active.

If you refer to LowEndSpirit official forum, there is a sticky article with Reverse Proxy information.

(Unfortunately, I'm on my phone, so can't give you the link.)

Thanked by 1realbusiness
  • alaningusalaningus Member
    edited May 2015

For anyone else I sussed out that when using the proxy script if you just put "domain.tld" it doesn't seem to work (maybe eventually?) but if you put the "www" in ie "www.domain.tld" it works straight off. Maybe the matching is a bit fussy.