Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net DNS filtering?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net DNS filtering?

xyzxyz Member

Using Online.net's DNS resolvers, I've noticed that KickassTorrents doesn't seem to resolve:

# dig @62.210.16.6 kickass.to

; <<>> DiG 9.8.4-rpz2+rl005.12-P1 <<>> @62.210.16.6 kickass.to
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 20594
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;kickass.to.                    IN      A

;; Query time: 0 msec
;; SERVER: 62.210.16.6#53(62.210.16.6)
;; WHEN: Sun May 24 02:02:29 2015
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 28

# dig @62.210.16.6 kat.cr

; <<>> DiG 9.8.4-rpz2+rl005.12-P1 <<>> @62.210.16.6 kat.cr
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 21253
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;kat.cr.                                IN      A

;; Query time: 0 msec
;; SERVER: 62.210.16.6#53(62.210.16.6)
;; WHEN: Sun May 24 02:01:59 2015
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 24

Switching to Google's DNS and those domains seem to resolve fine.

I've tried a few other similar domains like thepiratebay.se etc and they seem to resolve fine through Online's DNS.

From this wiki page it doesn't appear that KAT is blocked in France. I've also tried a few sites mentioned on that page (including streaming and pro-jihadist sites), and they all seem to resolve fine through Online's resolver.

Also tried resolving KAT from a few DNS French servers here, and they work fine, although I suspect these open resolvers don't necessarily enforce any laws.

Now I'm not interested in the ethics or legalities of these sites or the case for DNS censorship, but am interested in whether anyone else is getting something similar with other French providers?

Comments

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

My main OVH IP in BHS was unable to connect to any trackers that were used on TPB back then. It worked with failover IPs...

• xyzxyz Member

Might be related to the major trackers blocking OVH IPs back then: http://torrentfreak.com/public-bittorrent-trackers-ban-piracy-monitoring-outfits-140523/

• xyzxyz Member

I actually accidentally posted this thread. I thought I was editing a draft, but turns out that the "Save" button actually posts it.

I don't know a lot about the inner workings of DNS, but it seems that KAT's nameserver ns1.hostednsor.com won't resolve using Online's resolver.

• J1021J1021 Member

Switch to Google DNS. Online.net resolvers don't honour TTLs below 3600.

Thanked by 1xyz
  • UrDNUrDN Member
    edited May 2015

Hi,

I would suggest you to setup your own dns instead of using google. Otherwise this could be some caching issues with online.net' dns. Only ISP must apply censorship.