Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CentOS web Panel - toasted and incomplete (title changed as ppl are being diverted from subject)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CentOS web Panel - toasted and incomplete (title changed as ppl are being diverted from subject)

SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran
edited May 2015 in Reviews

Lately I was thinking to switch to some free web panel for server solely used for my own websites. Recently I broke something and instead of restoring server backup, I decided to rebuild with CWP.

So, I went ahead, install was super easy, it was up and running in 10 minutes. Though it looks good at first but in short its all toasted, even though its webpanel but I had to mess with manual configuration files everywhere, be it apache vhost, postfix and no matter what, I can't get pecl work in it.

They don't even has proper setup for logs, if you want some troubleshooting on issues (as I had lots of them), they have not even separated error logs for users. It should be easy as adding a new line in vhost template.

And there is no ipv6 support , if you are coming with ipv6 sites, don't even touch it, I had so many ipv6 visitors not able find things even though they are were there.

And to make things worst, their forum is dead as hell and because these guys provide paid support, they intentionally don't provide support via forum.

And because its fairly new, there is not much help on the internet. They have added features those are broken, they have configuration sections those are nothing more than editing config files in simple text editor.

Now I am thinking that for personal site not to use webpanel at all, do it all CLI , this way you know what you have done .

No wonder they don't have contributors because they won't let community to thrive. So far looks good but don't expect anything more than basic hosting features. Have already given so many hours to it, feels like effort wasted..

In short, if they let their community to thrive then may be in coming 2-3 years, it can rock web based hosting panel but as of now.. not recommended for anything serious.

Comments

• JonchunJonchun Member

Let me get this straight. You used a free panel, and you're upset that it's not as good as a paid one?

Thanked by 2deadbeef sambling
  • It's free. What do you expect. Ability to calculate rocket path? Or even build one and ship it to your home. You get what you paid for.

Thanked by 1Scottsman
  • You want to sue cause people recommended it?
    God that just makes it hard to take you seriously

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • You're stupid.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • GunterGunter Member
    edited May 2015

Please kindly show yourself out the door.

Thanked by 2deadbeef jvnadr
  • SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

@TriDoxiuM said:
    You want to sue cause people recommended it?
    God that just makes it hard to take you seriously

That was an expression... grow up man.. <-- now that too in case you wonder to what to take seriously and what not..

• Saahib said: grow up man

Seems like you're the one here that needs to grow up..

Thanked by 2ATHK Mark_R

Seriously, so everyone came here just to say " I am wrong and stupid".. guess what, how many of you have been part of open source projects .. contributors ..

And I don't think if its wrong to report if something is broken.

And being FREE never means you can't rant against it..

I am being constructive here by complaining.. for every software its bad to see error and not to report it..

edited May 2015

So far 6 people commented here and no one shows sign of sensible or constructive views apart of finding fault in me for complaining about shortcoming of a free software and ofcourse using a funny title. And they say me to "grow up" ..

• TrafficTraffic Member

Saahib said: for every software its bad to see error and not to report it..

Lack of features != errors

And I am NOT a user, supporter, etc... of that panel. For me it looks like it'd have a backdoor (that's what it makes me feel when I enter its site), too hyped up, they are too interested in making it look good while being an average panel.

But still, you can not say "I'm gonna sue you cause your script won't do X" to get this solved. I'm pretty sure contributors have better things to do than to listen to someone who contacts them like this.

• BruceBruce Member

@Saahib said:

I am being constructive here by complaining..

no you're not. you are stupid. what do you expect from the title of your post? nothing good will come from that

legal action is based apon a contract being breached, and requires a level of financial loss. you have no contract. you have no financial loss.

by all means grumble about not liking the software, but threatening people, however stupidly, will not win you any friends or ANY help. starting with "please help me, I have a problem" would have been a better start

Thanked by 2deadbeef Mark_R

@Traffic said:
    Lack of features != errors

And I am NOT a user, supporter, etc... of that panel. For me it looks like it'd have a backdoor (that's what it makes me feel when I enter its site), too hyped up, they are too interested in making it look good while being an average panel.

First sensible comment.. but they have issues as well as toasted features.. but thats acceptable, however they discourage community discussion in favour of paid support.. thats not acceptable..

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited May 2015

@Saahib said:
    Seriously, so everyone came here just to say " I am wrong and stupid"..

It's because you're wrong and stupid. We tend to dislike stupid people who write nonsense.

• ATHKATHK Member

@Saahib said:
    First sensible comment.. but they have issues as well as toasted features.. but thats acceptable, however they discourage community discussion in favour of paid support.. thats not acceptable..

Sigh.. Please just stop.

@Bruce said:
    no you're not. you are stupid. what do you expect from the title of your post? nothing good will come from that

legal action is based apon a contract being breached, and requires a level of financial loss. you have no contract. you have no financial loss.

by all means grumble about not liking the software, but threatening people, however stupidly, will not win you any friends or ANY help. starting with "please help me, I have a problem" would have been a better start

Thats height of stupidity from your side, I am sorry but I have to say that.

Did you even read this :

So far 6 people commented here and no one shows sign of sensible or constructive views apart of finding fault in me for complaining about shortcoming of a free software and ofcourse using a funny title. And they say me to "grow up"

Just to make simple for you, that was just an expression and funny title, stop acting like schizophrenic, stop running for its literal meaning.. to remind you this topic is about CWP and its current state.. what I felt..

@deadbeef said:
    It's because you're wrong and stupid. We tend to dislike stupid people who write nonsense.

So another one just jumped in without even reading and realizing the purpose of topic.. and then using term WE .. as if I am against everyone on this plant .. sorry LET..

• BruceBruce Member

@Saahib said:
    they discourage community discussion in favour of paid support..

that is normal for MANY open source projects. almost every major CMS does. also WHMCS - forum is slow, ticket support slightly better.

anything OS that is run by a company will be looking to monetise their work. mostly its the geek-run projects that are the most open and helpful.

free software, paid support. get used to it.

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • Saahib said: how many of you have been part of open source projects .. contributors ..

I'm currently working with many open source projects (hanthana,firefox,fedora,etc...) But if I need a feature, I will report it to their bug traq systems. Not going to sue all the hard worked people who dedicated their time to give it you for FREE. Hey anyone, does anyone see FREE here. :p

@Bruce said:

Thats fine.. absolutely fine but there are kind of people who can pays but still wants to do things themselves. If they can have active community, they will automatically get far more paid signup , this is I know from personal experience.

• BruceBruce Member

@Saahib said:
    stop running for its literal meaning..

you're just a troll

@sdglhm said:
    I'm currently working with many open source projects (hanthana,firefox,fedora,etc...) But if I need a feature, I will report it to their bug traq systems. Not going to sue all the hard worked people who dedicated their time to give it you for FREE. Hey anyone, does anyone see FREE here. :p

Oh boy.. see I have changed the title.. happy now everyone ?

• @Saahib said:
    So another one just jumped in without even reading and realizing the purpose of topic.. and then using term WE .. as if I am against everyone on this plant .. sorry LET..

Not only were you stupid on your OP, you're stupid on your responses too. At least, you are consistent. Keep it up, having spikes of smartness can be painful in your situation, be sure to avoid it at all cost.

edited May 2015

@joodle said:
    Saahib please jump out of a plane at 10.000 foot height without a parachute.

Thats clever.. but then I can answer like :

I will, when plane is not flying..

• @Saahib said:

If you ever see a real plane from close, you'll find out that its doors are waaayyy high above the ground level. If.

• JonchunJonchun Member

@Saahib said:

Yea. At 10k feet above the ground. Smart move.

Thanked by 1Mark_R

@deadbeef said:
    Not only were you stupid on your OP, you're stupid on your responses too. At least, you are consistent. Keep it up, having spikes of smartness can be painful in your situation, be sure to avoid it at all cost.

I am laughing here.. I never thought this topic will turn this way , I am enjoying but still sad to see that very few actually commented for the subject of topic.. rest are just trolling.

PS: I know you started trolling with calling me "stupid" and you won't change your words.. that will look stupid upon you..

edited May 2015

@deadbeef said:
    If you ever see a real plane from close, you'll find out that its doors are waaayyy high above the ground level. If.

I am talking about single single engine plane.. btw.. I have been in cockpit of jetfighter and I am sure I can jump from it while its ground :P

• Saahib said: Thats clever.. but then I can answer like :

No you can't, because i just said "at 10.000 foot height"

• @Saahib said:
    PS: I know you started trolling with calling me "stupid" and you won't change your words.. that will look stupid upon you..

You seem to think the boot cares what the ant thinks about it. Not a sign of smartness.