Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone played with a OpenVZ VPS on a CentOS 6 node?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone played with a OpenVZ VPS on a CentOS 6 node?

dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
edited August 2011 in General

I installed it on my test server and one thing I run uses 15mb of RAM, when it uses 50mb on a VPS running on a CentOS 5 node.

Note: I'm referring to OS running on the node, not what is running in your VPS.

Comments

• I am too interested in people's experience on it. Better, if someone can lend me a VPS with CentOS 6 kernel, barrier of all UBC set to max and just rely on VSwap to limit the memory usage of the VPS :)

• Thanked by 1Victor
  • NordicVPSNordicVPS Member
    edited August 2011

We have also booted up a node with CentOS 6 :)

[root@ovz ~]# uname -a
    Linux ovz.server.com 2.6.32-042stab025.1 #1 SMP Tue Aug 2 19:33:41 MSD 2011 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

[root@ovz ~]# free -m
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:           512         25        486          0          0          9
    -/+ buffers/cache:         15        496
    Swap:          512          0        512

• jhjh Member

We've started using CentOS 6 on our nodes as well. Seems to be working fine but haven't really got around to testing vswap yet.

• The two unresolved bugs I have with CentOS 6 and OpenVZ is the console doesn't work, reports it cannot find the unix user, yet finger finds it just fine, and IPv6 won't work beyond the host node of a container, IPv6 works fine on the host node itself. Yesterday I was able to get tun and pptp working good.

• jhjh Member

Working perfectly for us :P

• I haven't tried this yet. However I do have a couple un-used servers that I could do some testing on :)

• The CentOS 6 installer kernel panics on our nodes :(, otherwise our new plans woulda been OpenVZ 6.

• BoltersdriveerBoltersdriveer Member, LIR
    edited August 2011

What's the difference with:

-A CentOS 6 VPS on a CentOS 5.5/5.6 node and

-A CentOS 6 VPS on a CentOS 6 node

?

• jhjh Member

On a CentOS 6 node the memory management is different and you get VSWAP instead of burst RAM

• Actually we are continuing to run on CentOS 5.0; as enterprises wont upgrade to the latest "Windows" until it reaches SP2 and 'matures', we don't want to jump in the testing end, and possibly knock our services down for it.

Though, as soon as we're sure it's a little more mature, CentOS 6 will be finding its way onto all our nodes :)

• Most people are actually waiting for CentOS 6.1 for the bugfixes.

• We always wait for the *.1 :)

• 123COM said: Though, as soon as we're sure it's a little more mature, CentOS 6 will be finding its way onto all our nodes

So you are a follower, not a leader?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Given how many large revisions they've had to the centos6 kernel, i'm still pretty iffy about using it in anything production. They had major faults in it that completely tanked I/O.

Francisco

• drmike said: We always wait for the *.1 :)

or *.37 :P

but yeah centos 6.0 is sucks.. i've test this and having problem with one of my KVM module..

• It's also why we use a real OS: FreeBSD. :)

• circuscircus Member
    edited August 2011

What about smartos(based on OpenSolaris kernel), has anyone played with it? it looks neat.

• dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
    edited August 2011

just for fun, I made a 16mb VPS and installed nginx, php and mysql:
    http://vps-110.claw.d3vm.net/status.php

• ztecztec Member
    edited August 2011

I love how you guys achieve that stuff...well done

p.s. got a small pr0n site running on 64mb ram with wordpress and autoblog plugins. it bursts up to 90mb when it's gathering data.