Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SSD Cache
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SSD Cache

letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider
edited August 2012 in General

Hello,

I'm looking to use SSD cache, Some Hardware seller procide me LSI MegaRAID 9265-8i if planing use SSD cache and some other provide normal 3ware 9750-4i

So i'm very Confused now i don't know who is right.

Comments

• johnjohn Member

The 3ware 9750-4i is basically the 3ware version of the LSI 9260-4i. The 9265 has a dual core chip compared to the 9260's single core.

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

Hello,

Then how i"d using SSD cache?

I need to know how is?

• johnjohn Member

LSI's caching solution is called CacheCade.

• You can also use a software solution, using any onboard SATA controllers your motherboard may have:

https://github.com/facebook/flashcache/

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@Damian said: You can also use a software solution, using any onboard SATA controllers your motherboard may have:

https://github.com/facebook/flashcache/

I am about to test flashcache on a local server. Need to get a SSD only .. And will post results.

• I tried facebook's flashcache on a test machine and am not too impressed. It does help some benchmarks but i am not sure how much benefit there will be with real production load. I think there is certainly room for improvement, software wise in the facebook's flashcache module. Unfortunately i don't have the time nor am i brave enough to make my own changes in the caching algorithm and test them,

• @miTgiB is using SSD Caching pretty successfully on his newer nodes, he might not give away his secrets but here's the results:

dd if=/dev/zero of=sb-io-test bs=1M count=1k conv=fdatasync
    1.96858 s, 545 MB/s

That's on the OVZ-256 in his Charlotte DC.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited August 2012

@serverbear said: That's on the OVZ-256 in his Charlotte DC.

I have no nodes with SSD caching in Charlotte, only in LA, e3la17 and e5la18, and here is a test I did to show off the cache in action http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/review-hostigation-256-mb-openvz-monthly/#comment-77074

• so... @miTgiB is secretly a super secret computer hacker using a GUI interface in Visual Basics?

• @miTgiB said: I have no nodes with SSD caching in Charlotte

Hrm, that's pretty solid IO to not be using SSD's. Black magic? :P

• @serverbear said: Black magic?

The e5clt19 node was my test system when I was thinking of changing from E3's to E5's and totally over spent on it, so it is just a real beast.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@key12 said: I'm looking to use SSD cache, Some Hardware seller procide me LSI MegaRAID 9265-8i if planing use SSD cache and some other provide normal 3ware 9750-4i

How many drives total?

• Woah. Seen the comment from LEB that @miTgiB pointed out. Real beast 900 mb/s. Awesome result!

Oh my god, this is awesome result.

What SSD card did you use and on what configuration of drives? And was this software solution like the one posted above (facebook flashcache, etc.)? @miTgiB

• I don't want to rain on Tim's parade so i will not tell you what the 900MB/s result means :)

edited August 2012

@rds100 said: I don't want to rain on Tim's parade so i will not tell you what the 900MB/s result means :)

Go ahead .. ;d

I am not hoping in achieving 900MB/s, however if I can increase the IO from 150MB/s to 200MB/s, it is still great.

• There is no (SATA) ssd that can read at 900MB/s. This read is probably coming from RAM (he did not do echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches between the tests)

Thanked by 1serverbear
  • @rds100 said: (he did not do echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches between the tests)

Damit, I got all excited once before with my first 6g raid card and didn't test larger than it's cache either. Finding good overall benchmarks is like snipe hunting, but tossing a WP site on a node that is trashing others without the cache and seeing it breeze along is test enough for me.