Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Offsite Backups
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Offsite Backups

TailoredVPSTailoredVPS Member
edited November 2011 in General

Hello LET,

I was wondering what other VPS providers here are using for offsite backups. Any suggestions for a good provider to use for offsite backups?

We are planning to bring in offsite backups next month and any suggestions would be great!

Regards,
Tailored VPS

Comments

• Have been known to use Livedrive or just another rented server in a different DC.

• Livedrive looks good, plus they support FTP. I will give them a test run thanks!

• Not a VPS provider but we use a stack of old Apple XServes. Currently sits in the same datacenter as the servers but we're looking to move them overseas sometime early next year along with either the support forum server or the support ticket server.

We then use a custom script within Direct Admin that zips up each individual account and sftp's it out to the backup servers.

And cough it then emails me (and the support team) when this happens with a copy of the zip and transfer log. (Emails only when something doesn't work is an acceptable practice with some here and I'm still scratching my head about that)

Process occurs once every other day around the clock. We used to go complete hard drive backups as well but after a number of years never having to use one, we decided that just the account backups were fine.

That's for shared. Dedicated are on their own. That's more of a licensing issue than anything else due to content.

• Amazon S3 + Duplicity (can encrypt the backups before moving them to Amazon)
    Not really a backup to a VPS but works like a charm

• jhjh Member

You have a couple of options: make your own backups or provide space for your clients to make their own. Which do you think best suits your business model?

• James is right here. However we provide free external backup space when requested by ticket and its suprising how many people DONT use it.

• For backup I download all SQL via PHPMyAdmin, download configuration files and then download /var/www as a TAR.

• It is great to offer such feature like offsite backups. Probably some of the customers will use it.
    But make sure you do really perform backups for your customers, otherwise they will complain.
    Or state clearly, that it is customer's responsibility.

• @VMport said: However we provide free external backup space when requested by ticket and its suprising how many people DONT use it.

Hey wow. I got the quote feature to work. :)

I wonder how many of those folks think they are using it without realizing that they're not.

And can someone provide DanielM's corrected link please?

• @drmike
    We put it clearly in the welcome email.... then again we all know that will mean nothing to some.

• Referral links removed. Please don't post them.

Thanked by 2drmike marrco
  • Thanks for the suggestions guys. I came across ftpbackup.com and I am quite interested because they have rsync. Has anyone heard or tried them before?

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited November 2011

@TailoredVPS said: I came across ftpbackup.com and I am quite interested because they have rsync. Has anyone heard or tried them before?

Domain is on sale. Rsync? Only ads page... not real service. I hope you didn't post this here to advertise own domain.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • Whoops my bad lol. This is the website ftpoffsite.com.

• http://rsync.net/ also looks interesting although i've never tried it.

• I use webbycart.com's backup ftp/rsync servers before. But now, I use a separate VPS to store all backup files. I get a larger disk space for a much lower cost.

• I would stay away from http://ftpoffsite.com/ as it looks like they are hosted with BT. and is known to be quite a bad network and they are far from cheap.

• @libro22 said: I use webbycart.com's backup ftp/rsync servers before. But now, I use a separate VPS to store all backup files. I get a larger disk space for a much lower cost.

Hmm renting a VPS from another provider could work! Do you have any suggestions for a provider with a decent amount of disk and bandwidth (I don't mind paying a premium for a good provider).

@DanielM said: I would stay away from http://ftpoffsite.com/ as it looks like they are hosted with BT. and is known to be quite a bad network and they are far from cheap.

Okay thanks I will keep on looking.

• Using a second VPS from another provider to do offsite backups brings up an interesting idea. Just take it one step further and replicate your entire site to the second VPS. Then if your primary goes offline you just switch over to the backup.

• Some provider have backup/storage plan with low cpu/ram but big hdd space and bandwidth, like buyvm , hostigation

Maybe you can try.

• +1 for hostigation backup plans. Reliability and good performance at a bargain. Though I wish the privvmpages was a smidgeon higher for rsync.

• Hostigation Backup + rsnapshot = simple
    Just have to do MySQL somehow...

• @maxexcloo said: Hostigation Backup + rsnapshot = simple Just have to do MySQL somehow...

I do mysqlhotcopies on the production server and rsync those. Only tables that have been modified are rsynced. Way more efficient than mysqldump.

Unfortunately mysqlhotcopy only works with MyISAM tables and with v 5.5 mysql seems to be pushing us away from that.

• @TailoredVPS Hostigation has enough disk space. Mine's a custom VPS package from another provider.

• @sleddog said: Though I wish the privvmpages was a smidgeon higher for rsync.

Some have been using --protocol=29 with rsync forcing an older version and not requiring extra burst and no longer getting out of memory errors. I still have no problem adding burst for those using rsync, as it is such a short time they need to use it.

• @miTgiB said: Some have been using --protocol=29 with rsync forcing an older version and not requiring extra burst and no longer getting out of memory errors. I still have no problem adding burst for those using rsync, as it is such a short time they need to use it.

And I'd read that v. 3 was supposed to use less memory :)

I hit the privvmpages limit only on the initial rsync and I was able to work around that by splitting it up. Subsequent rsyncs of the complete dataset have been running fine.

Curiously I didn't encounter this issue with a local VPS I'd built to the same specs as my Hostigation one. The initial rsync completed fine with no privvmpages issue. I can only think it was because of significantly slower network speed (~1.2mbps) causing the file-list-building and transfer to happen much more slowly. Might be an interesting experiment to try rate-limiting rsync for the initial transfer.

Anyway, all is well and thanks for the great backup service :)

• Consider a dedicated server. For example, EX4 by Hetzner offer 6TB for 59$/mo (+VAT).

• @hostingwizard_net said: Hetzner offer 6TB for 59$/mo

While that is a good value, it saves you nothing until you need over 1.475TB at my 4.5c per month per gb (Save even more since I do not collect VAT). You also did not mention the 149 euro setup fee at Hetzner

• carlosgcarlosg Member
    edited November 2011

@sleddog said: Unfortunately mysqlhotcopy only works with MyISAM tables and with v 5.5 mysql seems to be pushing us away from that.

You can go back to MyISAM in 5.5 version by using these options in your .cnf file:

ignore_builtin_innodb

default_storage_engine=MyISAM

Thanked by 2sleddog tux
  • @carlosg said: You can go back to MyISAM in 5.5 version by using these options in your .cnf file:

ignore_builtin_innodb

default_storage_engine=MyISAM

Thanks for that. Noted for future reference :)