Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mean Servers LET KVM Exclusive VPS Specials - DirectAdmin FREE - Windows BYOL - Instant Setup!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Mean Servers LET KVM Exclusive VPS Specials - DirectAdmin FREE - Windows BYOL - Instant Setup!

MeanServersMeanServers Member, Host Rep

Hello LET!

We have some exciting plans exclusively available here on LET, you won't find these deals anywhere else or on our website! New nodes, new technology, our services now feature RAID10 SSD-Cached Hard Drives on ALL plans!

LIMITED TIME: Mean Servers is including our server monitoring tool with 10 diverse monitoring POPs around the world, FREE of charge for all clients! Usually only available with our normal plans on our website, all new LET exclusive plans now qualify for adding our 25.1 Monitoring Plan free of charge which allows you to monitor up to 25 services every minute for FREE with coupon code MONITORME. Receive email and SMS alerts regarding downtime to services with Mean Servers or with another provider!

Mean Servers Limited specializes in Web Hosting, Virtual Private Servers, Dedicated Servers, and Server Management. Mean Servers focuses on quality, not quantity. Some providers promise you the world and you get nothing in the end, we promise you exactly what is stated here and nothing less!

DirectAdmin is included free on plans that have the minimum resources required to run them properly (512MB or 1GB).

Mean Servers also has 24/7 support available via our ticket system, live chat and phone support during standard business hours. All of our support technicians are 100% USA based and in house, we do not outsource our support team and never will!

Our Current LET Specials Include:

Unmanaged 1GB LET Exclusive

Intel Xeon Processors

1 Core x3 Priority

100 GB SSD-Cached SAS 15k RAID 10 Hard Drives

1 GB RAM

1,500 GB Bandwidth

1 IPv4 IP Address

/96 Subnet IPv6 IP Addresses

KVM VPS Technology

DirectAdmin FREE

50.1 Monitoring Plan FREE

$7/month

Click Here to Order Now!

Unmanaged 512MB LET Exclusive

Intel Xeon Processors

1 Core x2 Priority

40 GB SSD-Cached SAS 15k RAID 10 Hard Drives

512 MB RAM

500 GB Bandwidth

1 IPv4 IP Address

/96 Subnet IPv6 IP Addresses

KVM VPS Technology

DirectAdmin FREE

50.1 Monitoring Plan FREE

$5/mo

Click Here to Order Now!

I/O Performance Stats:
[root@testbox ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync 16384+0 records in 16384+0 records out 1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 2.16534 s, 496 MB/s

Have a pre-sale question? Please open a sales ticket 24/7 by visiting our website at https://www.meanservers.com or our live chat feature during normal business hours. We try and answer questions on this thread but keep in mind, it is off site and therefore, a low priority. If you have an urgent question, please use our official channels instead.

We are located in the Handy Networks data center in the heart of downtown Denver, Colorado with excellent speeds and latency to every corner of the country and globe! We own all of our own equipment and have offices in the same building as our data center.

Mean Servers is assigned IP addresses directly from ARIN, not our upstream providers like other hosts. Check out our network, our speeds are blazing fast! All of our nodes are on a 10Gbps port to our routers with multiple 1Gbps drops from Handy Networks, take a look with our looking glass just to see how amazing our network is. We also are dual stacked supporting both IPv4 and IPv6 natively, no tunnels here! rDNS entries are made straight through our SolusVM control panel, no need to open a ticket like with other hosts!

Every Linux 512MB and 1GB LET Special VPS Plan we sell includes a free DirectAdmin license for the life of the service you have with Mean Servers. All of our servers boast the newest generation of components made by leading brands such as Dell and HP. Mean Servers NEVER oversells and keeps a cloud platform making it easy to move your VPS to a new node if you wish to upgrade your plan. Every VPS plan also includes access to our SolusVM VPS Control Panel allowing our clients to reboot, shutdown, VNC, change root passwords, and reload the operating system without intervention from us. All of our VPS plans utilize KVM technology giving you privacy, speed, guaranteed resources, and root access.

The following templates and isos are ready to install on your Mean Servers VPS immediately:

KVM Ready-Made Templates

• CentOS 7.0 (64-Bit Only)
  • CentOS 6.5 (64-Bit & 32-Bit)
  • CentOS 5.9 (64-Bit & 32-Bit)
  • Fedora 20 (64-Bit & 32-Bit)
  • Ubuntu 14.04 Server (64-Bit & 32-Bit)
  • Ubuntu 13.10 Server (64-Bit & 32-Bit)
  • Ubuntu 12.04 Server (64-Bit & 32-Bit)%
  • Debian 7.3.0 (64-Bit & 32-Bit)
  • Scientific Linux 6.3 (64-Bit & 32-Bit)
  • Linux Mint 13 Desktop (64-Bit & 32-Bit)
  • openSUSE 12.2 (64-Bit & 32-Bit)
  • Windows 2008 R2 Trial (64-Bit Only)*^
  • Windows 2012 Trial (64-Bit Only)*^

ISOs (Installed through SolusVM CD-ROM Mount after ordering, select any OS from the order menu if you plan on using one of these ISOs)

• CentOS 7.0 Minimal (64-Bit Only)
  • CentOS 6.6 Minimal (64-Bit & 32-Bit)
  • CentOS 5.11 Net Install (64-Bit & 32-Bit)
  • Fedora 21 Workstation Live (64-Bit Only)
  • Fedora 21 Server Net Install (64-Bit Only)
  • Arch Linux 20150101 (64-Bit & 32-Bit)
  • Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Net Install (64-Bit Only)
  • Ubuntu 14.10 Net Install (64-Bit Only)
  • Debian 7.7.0 Net Install (64-Bit & 32-Bit)
  • Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon (64-Bit Only)
  • FreeBSD 10.1 Net Install (64-Bit & 32-Bit)
  • FreeBSD 9.3 Net Install (64-Bit & 32-Bit)
  • Elastix 3.0.0 Stable (64-Bit & 32-Bit)
  • Elastix 2.5.0 Stable (64-Bit & 32-Bit)
  • AsteriskNOW 6.12 (64-Bit Only)
  • CloudLinux 6.6 Net Install (64-Bit & 32-Bit)*
  • FreePBX 6.12.65 (64-Bit Only)
  • MikroTik 6.24 (32-Bit Only)
  • Zentyal 4.0 (64-Bit Only)
  • Gentoo 20141204 Minimal (64-Bit Only)
  • Gentoo 20141209 Minimal (32-Bit Only)
  • GParted Live 0.20.0-2 i486 (32-Bit/64-Bit)
  • Windows 7 Enterprise (64-Bit Only)*^
  • Windows 8.1 Enterprise (64-Bit Only)*^
  • Windows 2008 R2 Data Center (64-Bit Only)*^
  • Windows 2012 R2 Data Center (64-Bit Only)*^

Operating Systems with an asterisk (*) next to them indicate a license is required through Mean Servers. Contact Mean Servers for licensing information.

Operating systems with a caret (^) next to them indicate a Windows VPS compatible plan must be purchased and will not work with an underpowered VPS. A license is also required either through Mean Servers (if Windows) or yourself.

Mean Servers strives to provide our clients with comprehensive solutions and options for their VPS needs. Should you need a specific operating system that is not available on this list, open a support ticket and we will download and make available the ISO you have requested for free. Please be sure to include a download link to prevent confusion.

Plenty of addons to help enhance your VPS plan too. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions. We look forward to working with you for many years to come.

Mean Servers

Comments

• joereidjoereid Member

I have one of their 128MB plans in Denver and am very happy with it.

They're in the middle of migrating from rented to their own IPs and I used the live chat feature this past Sunday afternoon to ask a simple question and was amazed that someone was right there and answered me instantly.

Keep up the good work!

Thanked by 1MeanServers
  • MeanServersMeanServers Member, Host Rep

@joereid said:
    I have one of their 128MB plans in Denver and am very happy with it.

They're in the middle of migrating from rented to their own IPs and I used the live chat feature this past Sunday afternoon to ask a simple question and was amazed that someone was right there and answered me instantly.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the feedback @joereid. We aim to please!

• darkdark Member

i have been using a small vps from MeanServers,they are new and uptime rate is good,they truly offer free direct admin panel.

Thanked by 1MeanServers
  • darkdark Member

as Joereid commented,the Meanservers now re-assign certain scope of old IP to their own IP address space, as their notification said "Mean Servers was recently assigned our own IP address space that is independent of our upstream providers. As part of our agreement with ARIN (the American Registry for Internet Numbers, the authority in charge of IP address allocations for North America), we must return all IP addresses that are in use that originate from our upstream providers."...got helped with this and several hours later the re-assign finished...the Uptime level is really good,hardly see downtime,and they give timely notification for any upgrading,security patch upgrading,fixing etc,they are trying for their aim as they said "Mean", we clients got helped from this,heard they will "add new network providers in June to boost up routing performance", we client suggest there will be improved network performance,this is what i got know "Mean",ah~

Thanked by 1MeanServers

@dark

We are pleased to hear that you are happy with our services and we hope the changes we have planned for June make you even happier. Thanks for your continued business!

• teperteper Member

@MeanServers

I need a windows vps and hence don't need directadmin
    Is it possible that instead of directadmin you can upgrade the ram to 2 GB.

Regards

edited May 2015

@teper said:
    MeanServers

I need a windows vps and hence don't need directadmin
    Is it possible that instead of directadmin you can upgrade the ram to 2 GB.

Regards

There is no discount if you decide not to get DirectAdmin. We can combine packages for you. If you need a 2GB RAM machine, the total cost would be $14/month (bandwidth would still be 1,500 GB but disk and RAM would be doubled). You can order the two packages separately then open a ticket with billing to combine them. Still an amazing deal as the 2GB RAM package goes for $29 normally on our website.

• darkdark Member

ever tested the small node since start at Aug 19th of year 2014,it benchmark scored 450 around, after months use, tested it again days ago and found the benchmark score changed, so it is a little strange, forget test its cpu information yet.

attached a result with date, not sure if that happened after re-assign a new IP:

VPS of MeanServer: KVM 2 Core 512Ram 25GB SAS $7/month, Gift DA Panel

End Benchmark Run: Tue Aug 19 03:39:32 UTC 2014
    03:39:32 up 1 day, 18 min, 1 user, load average: 17.82, 7.06, 3.02
    INDEX VALUES
    TEST BASELINE RESULT INDEX
    Dhrystone 2 using register variables 376783.7 17838819.3 473.4
    Double-Precision Whetstone 83.1 1921.1 231.2
    Execl Throughput 188.3 7483.3 397.4
    File Copy 1024 bufsize 2000 maxblocks 2672.0 315680.0 1181.4
    File Copy 256 bufsize 500 maxblocks 1077.0 78178.0 725.9
    File Read 4096 bufsize 8000 maxblocks 15382.0 1904213.0 1237.9
    Pipe Throughput 111814.6 3042049.8 272.1
    Pipe-based Context Switching 15448.6 486825.7 315.1
    Process Creation 569.3 23096.6 405.7
    Shell Scripts (8 concurrent) 44.8 1670.2 372.8
    System Call Overhead 114433.5 3429822.2 299.7
    =========
    FINAL SCORE 456.5

VPS of MeanServer: KVM 2 Core 512Ram 25GB SAS $7/month, Gift DA Panel

[ReTest After half year Use:2015-05-14]

Start Benchmark Run: Thu May 14 07:39:02 UTC 2015 07:39:02 up 1:31, 1 user, load average: 1.14, 0.59, 0.31
    End Benchmark Run: Thu May 14 07:51:29 UTC 2015 07:51:29 up 1:43, 1 user, load average: 21.83, 8.47, 3.84
    INDEX VALUES
    TEST BASELINE RESULT INDEX

Dhrystone 2 using register variables 376783.7 9189792.7 243.9
    Double-Precision Whetstone 83.1 1922.7 231.4
    Execl Throughput 188.3 4034.5 214.3
    File Copy 1024 bufsize 2000 maxblocks 2672.0 178447.0 667.8
    File Copy 256 bufsize 500 maxblocks 1077.0 52749.0 489.8
    File Read 4096 bufsize 8000 maxblocks 15382.0 1444303.0 939.0
    Pipe Throughput 111814.6 1559577.0 139.5
    Pipe-based Context Switching 15448.6 262640.3 170.0
    Process Creation 569.3 12521.7 219.9
    Shell Scripts (8 concurrent) 44.8 912.0 203.6
    System Call Overhead 114433.5 1751721.1 153.1
    =========
    FINAL SCORE 272.0

• gusdegusde Member

Very POOR Download speed. You want to see? They dont reply my last ticket, so i go here.. Last ticket waited for 7 hours.. If you dont increase the download speed of the VPS, then who will? I got slow lorris which was mitigated by cpanel two days ago. Checked the open keep alive connection and clean, nothing.. It means im out from the attack.. BUT..

This is the best speed 1Kbps: http://postimg.org/image/9ujckkk5l/

This is their download speed bench not even 1Mbps while my other VPS from different provider has more than 10Mbps
    Screenshot: http://postimg.org/image/rluyz0zk9/

And using IDM, also no difference: http://postimg.org/image/nqrkwggeh/

I started for 3 months with them, and after 1 month, i extended into 5 more months (so it's 6 month).

Dont tell me it's the slow loris, there is no slow loris anymore, it is your network now.. Maybe other customer also has the same experience.
    Me, im going out of here but cant take any data, cant transfer, im stuck for 3 days now.. No willing to help. That's all.. still trying to move my data..

• gusdegusde Member

@gusde said:
    Very POOR Download speed. You want to see? They dont reply my last ticket, so i go here.. Last ticket waited for 7 hours.. If you dont increase the download speed of the VPS, then who will? I got slow lorris which was mitigated by cpanel two days ago. Checked the open keep alive connection and clean, nothing.. It means im out from the attack.. BUT..

This is the best speed 1Kbps: http://postimg.org/image/9ujckkk5l/

This is their download speed bench not even 1Mbps while my other VPS from different provider has more than 10Mbps
    Screenshot: http://postimg.org/image/rluyz0zk9/

And using IDM, also no difference: http://postimg.org/image/nqrkwggeh/

I started for 3 months with them, and after 1 month, i extended into 5 more months (so it's 6 month).

Dont tell me it's the slow loris, there is no slow loris anymore, it is your network now.. Maybe other customer also has the same experience.
    Me, im going out of here but cant take any data, cant transfer, im stuck for 3 days now.. No willing to help. That's all.. still trying to move my data..

Download speed is back thanks.. I can move now:
    http://postimg.org/image/5j4e6f8y1/

It is important to note that we have worked tirelessly with this client @gusde to assist him with the problems he is facing, even as a client with unmanaged services. It's true he has been under a slow lotus attack for the past several days but him claiming this is our fault is completely false. We do not offer DDoS protection, we do not claim to offer DDoS protection. If a DDoS attack is in progress, we nullroute if it is above a certain threshold. Since this attack never meets that threshold, he hasn't been nullrouted but his services have been affected.

We gave him many suggestions regarding how to solve this (see https://www.meanservers.com/files/maxgusderesponse.png), all met with dissatisfaction. This is an unmanaged VPS and thus, we do not provide this kind of support. His questionable material he hosts attracts these attacks as viewable from the traffic reports provided. We receive DMCA notices everyday about the content he hosts but instead of kicking him off as most hosts would, we have decided to work with him (he doesn't mention that anywhere). You can see his daily traffic report here: https://www.meanservers.com/files/gusdedaytraffic.png and weekly here: https://www.meanservers.com/files/gusdeweektraffic.png. You can clearly see when the slow lotus attacks have started/stopped and start up again. There is also a gap on the weekly VPS of no bandwidth because he allowed a partition to completely fill which he rebooted in an attempt to fix but made his services completely inaccessible. We then advised him how to fix this but he became combative when we told him this is an unmanaged VPS.

His claim that he contacted cPanel a few days ago are false, it was just yesterday (see here and note the date: https://www.meanservers.com/files/gusdecpanelticketr.png). The implementation cPanel had him do does not protect against slow lotus attacks in all instances, he is well aware of this. There is no problem with our network and he is the only client that is experiencing network problems that were brought on by his own doing. We have offered him advice, which is beyond what is offered with the unmanaged VPS but he refused to implement anything. In regards to his claim we are slow to respond, we have responded to him usually within 30 minutes (see the links above between cPanel and our recommendations). He continually bumps tickets that result in a delayed response as he drops to the bottom of the ticket queue or the tickets being marked as spam which is only checked once a day due to a large amount of bumps in a short time period. There isn't much else we can do except show the facts.

It is unfortunate that this client claims otherwise but we have tried to advise him to the best of our ability on what to do, he just doesn't want to implement anything to protect his own clients.

• gusdegusde Member

MeanServers said: It is important to note that we have worked tirelessly with this client @gusde to assist him with the problems he is facing, even as a client with unmanaged services

Thank you for that, i never forget it, and that is why i extended the period with you. Asking a clue of what is going on is fine, even in unmanage VPS. Not all the problem come from client's end, sometimes also from your end. That is why i ask where the problem is..

"It's true he has been under a slow lotus attack for the past several days but him claiming this is our fault is completely false"

I didn't say the slow lotus was your fault. I said even the slow lotus ends (no more http keep alive open) and even i installed mod reqtimeout and iptable rules, the network still slow.. and after i put comment her, the speed is back..

And the cpanel said: If this has not been enough to mitigate the issue, the next step is contacting your datacenter or NOC, whoever handles the network to your system and have them begin filtering

That is why i contacted you, to get help because filtering network is not something that i can do from my end. And you said no DDoS protection, im fine and can understand that (did i say i complain when you say no DDoS protection?).

We gave him many suggestions regarding how to solve this
    You gave me solution which i already use, nginx and varnish.

We receive DMCA notices everyday about the content he hosts but instead of kicking him off as most hosts would
    Every DMCA claim sent from you always taken down by me in a flash, and i warn or even suspend my client about it and never open (for example dfch.net which moved to hawk host now, and some others). You know it well we can not control our client 100%, even if we wrote NO DMCA, there are clients still doing it.
    You cant blame me if my clients has DMCA report, as it's my client who did, and those people above you cant completely blame you if there are reports, as it's your client who did.. All we can do is to warn or suspend or take action to the end client who did and reported.

His claim that he contacted cPanel a few days ago are false, it was just yesterday
    I said few days ago, and it's few days ago not yesterday.. After long investigation, i came to you on 29th.. The ticket was actualy created on 28th. Screenshot: http://postimg.org/image/apoq8y2h5/

he refused to implement anything
    Please define anything.. I use nginx, varnish, ip tables, mod reqtimeout as suggested.

He continually bumps tickets that result in a delayed response as he drops to the bottom of the ticket queue

True i bumped ticket at the beginning.. And after they explained not to do it, i didn't do it anymore. The second time, my last reply was to answer their question about reported attack page link which was not found, and no reply from them or explanation what should i do with the link if it's not found (no answer for 4 hours), and i ask completely different question that is what the ticket about - the slowness even after the attack gone.

True they respond in 30 minutes and the live chat is helpful. Im not saying all the bad things, of course they have good sides which made me to extend. It is just when an emergency happens, the ticket respond wasn't fast like before.

he just doesn't want to implement anything to protect his own clients
    No.. I really care of my clients: http://postimg.org/image/6ulc6djbd/
    And i have firewall, symlink protected, maldet, and a DDoS is something that i cant protect from as i don't own the network.
    In every activation email of my clients, i always inform my client to use security plugin and firewall for wordpress. Screenshot: http://postimg.org/image/5tl3h92bt/

And you suggested nginx and varnish, i switched from litespeed to nginx and varnish right away.

Anyway.. i still have few more months with them which i will put to use as I asked refund for the last payment for extension which not suppoused to come yet (not the whole payment of course, the three months payment) denied which i can understand..

And i sucessfully moved my clients data to another host right away after the speed back :)

• gusdegusde Member

Im sorry for the unecessary review. I really dont think about the previous accident anymore as after i move my clients, now everything seems okay..
    LET admin please delete my post.. I dont want people to read and think bad about them, they are good, and Im happy with mean server , it was just that couple of days out of 40++ days im with them that im having pressure.
    Please if possible delete this.. Thank you LET :)

• darkdark Member

still keep an eye to see Meanservers can get better performance someday,they are a new company,offer free direct admin panels and free monitoring monthly,normally others charge $5 to 7~10/month for such a panel,all we know it is really not easy at the price...

and ps,for the download or connection speed,it is hard to say "Poor",although they are not the fastest,but during use it we never met a speed problems,that is not the fastest but fairly saying,not at low speed side,i can share you some speed test ever did late last year,you can see this speed is not slow,although not fastest:

wget http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test

Saving to: 100mb.test'100%[======================================>] 104,857,600 21.4M/s in 5.1s 2014-08-19 03:56:22 (19.5 MB/s) -100mb.test' saved [104857600/104857600]
    Saving to: 100mb.test.1'100%[======================================>] 104,857,600 21.5M/s in 5.0s 2014-08-19 03:56:33 (20.1 MB/s) -100mb.test.1' saved [104857600/104857600]

wget http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test

Saving to: `100mb.test.2'100%[======================================>] 104,857,600 20.1M/s in 5.6s

wget http://speedtest.dal01.softlayer.com/downloads/test100.zip--2014-08-19 03:59:11--

Saving to: `test100.zip'100%[======================================>] 104,874,307 13.1M/s in 13s

wget http://speedtest.sea01.softlayer.com/downloads/test100.zip--2014-08-19 03:59:33--

Saving to: `test100.zip.1'100%[======================================>] 104,874,307 12.3M/s in 8.7s

wget http://speedtest.wdc01.softlayer.com/downloads/test100.zip--2014-08-19 03:59:53--

Saving to: `test100.zip.2'100%[======================================>] 104,874,307 15.8M/s in 21s

This user had their NIC card set to a one that only supports 100Mbps, best to choose Virtio so you can get the full speed of our network.