Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pay weekly VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Pay weekly VPS?

Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
edited November 2011 in General

Been considering this for a while now, just wondered if there would be any demand for it. I know it could come of great use for one off projects, such as testing/developing.

We were basically considering splitting the monthly price by 4 and working out the week's cost, basically they would expire the day after the due date if a payment was not made, that way we can pretty much be working in the same margins as we are for monthly pricing.

What do you guys think :P

Comments

• Are we talking 2-3GB VPSes here? I can't see there being much demand for this for LEB's.

• Well basically any of our standard configs, just weekly instead of PCM

• daimonbdaimonb Member
    edited November 2011

we do similiar thing 7 day trial £1 - converted alot of customers from it to monthly. Anybody who is gonna want vps longer will not want to billed every week.

• I think that the 7 day trial might work, but just offering it per week seems to leave you open for abuse, plus those payment gateway charges might add up.

• jhjh Member

Waste of time IMHO. Anyone who can't commit to a month isn't worth having, then there are Paypal fees.

• Best just not using paypal james. its basicaly a fraudsters tool. It always works in there favour. Infact can you name me one good thing about paypal?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2011

@DanielM said: Infact can you name me one good thing about paypal?

Everybody uses it. :)

• @KuJoe
    Everybody are "forced" to use it :p ..I prefer moneybookers.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited November 2011

@DanielM said: its basicaly a fraudsters tool. It always works in there favour.

Huh? Paypal? In hosting industry? Nonsense! Unless you consider hosts as fraudsters.
    As some hosts may tell you credit cards chargebacks are way more problematic than paypal disputes which usually side with hosts.

@VMport support tickets increase, paypal fees, abusers... imho too much hassle for few dollars weekly.

@asf said: Everybody are "forced" to use it :p ..I prefer moneybookers.

When given option, customers still pick Paypal. I would love to move away from it but 90% of our clients say it's worth keeping. ;)

@Spirit exactly right. Paypal disputes are very fair for all parties involved. Credit card chargebacks are what fraudsters use and you will find them with all payment processors (in fact, Paypal has the lowest chargeback fees of them all so Paypal is the cheapest option in terms of fraud).

• Thats total BS its far from a fair policy.

@DanielM said: Thats total BS its far from a fair policy.

Based on my experience, it is very fair for hosting companies.

• Agreed :) Chargebacks are ugly and can be done regardless of the payment gateway.

• And what about if its the hosting companies that are the scammers ( Not saying all are but some are) Where is the protection for the consumer?

• jhjh Member

For disputes you just have to remember to escalate it straight away and tell Paypal you're selling intangible goods not subject to their dispute agreement.

For chargebacks, all you can do it take legal action or use a gateway like Moneybookers that will accept the liability for you.

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited November 2011

@DanielM
    I do agree with that as well. But usually when that's the case and PayPal get multiple reports the customers usually get the refund.

eNetSouth for example, from what i have seen more or less all of them got refunds.

• Dont get me wrong you do get some rotten customers who seem to press the dispute button for the likes of 20 mins downtime ( No Joke) i think with paypal its just not worth it. We stopped excepting paypal some time back because of that problem.. and i shut down my personal account due to them blocking wikileaks.

• We got one the other week for not answering a ticket in 15 minutes at 4AM (GMT) :S

• Those are the customers you wish would just go away and are not worth the money that you're taking from them. I've told a couple that we were no longer interested in hosting them and sent them on their merry way. Of course being the wimp that I am, I help them move their data and get setup on the new host.

Have to admit that I've been real tempted to edit our "No harassment" clause in our ToS/AUP to include a "stupid shit" clause but I doubt that it would go over well.

• @VMport said: eNetSouth for example, from what i have seen more or less all of them got refunds.

I am still waiting. Pray for me

• @yomero

When did you open the dispute? Good luck buddy :(

• @DanielM said: Infact can you name me one good thing about paypal?

Thanks to keeping extensive records, and PayPal's willingness to review information provided to them relevant to the case, I've only lost one dispute/chargeback in the past two years. As opposed to the failed dealings with other brokers, one of whom still owes us a sizable amount.

PayPal is no different from any of us hosts. They have their rules, and so long as you play by their rules, you'll have little difficulty.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

Making weekly plans, would become something like a SaaS (or have I mixed up with some other term) where users can pay hourly ? I remember RackSpace offered a similar service with hourly billing.

• @Aldryic

So what wrong did wikileaks do then?

• AldryicAldryic Member
    edited November 2011

You'll have to give an example, Daniel. I stopped paying attention to that mess shortly after it became news.

• kylixkylix Member
    edited November 2011

@DanielM said: So what wrong did wikileaks do then?

There's a level of civil contracts (horizontal) and the level of state matters (vertical). Whereas the horizontal level might be fine, the state can interfer legally causing a vertical direct effect ending in the legal breach of a horizontal contractual situation.

That's what you're told when studying business administration.

• So what wrong did wikileaks

Wikileaks was kicked out by VISA and MasterCard too and lot of other credit institutes aswell. It's their choice, who they want to deal with or not.

• Wikileaks did nothing wrong. It was simply because of the line of business they do; Paypal is politicly motivated, They exposed the crimes of the USA and NATO which ofc they didnt like. Hence why hes on trial atm

• @DanielM said: Best just not using paypal james. its basicaly a fraudsters tool. It always works in there favour. Infact can you name me one good thing about paypal?

Believe me I agree with you.

• KairusKairus Member
    edited November 2011

I haven't had any problems with PayPal, from a consumer, or seller PoV. I've never used any other service though, it's just too much of a hassle to sign up and maintain an account with a bunch of different services, then worry about what company accepts what.

I've only seen a few companies that don't accept PayPal, like Kaspersky's US payment processor, and in that case, I just use debit/credit, but it's kind of annoying, I prefer to use PayPal for internet products, and then debit/credit when ordering a physical product.