Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ask users: Would you be interested in a console based control panel?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ask users: Would you be interested in a console based control panel?

corehostingcorehosting Member
edited August 2012 in General

Hello,

My first post here, so i'll introduce myself quickly. I've been reading anonymously this board for quite a while and i must say that i really like the mood around here :). I've been working for 10 years in the IT industry for small to big companies, and i'm now launching my own hosting service.

While i'm not yet officially launched most of the backend is ready and already hosting a few clients.
I'm still working on my user control panel and i was wondering whether or not users would be interested by a console based control panel, accessible through ssh and/or https (applet/ajax term or the like)??

What do you think? Give me your thoughts :)

Cheers,
-O.

Comments

• AsadAsad Member
    edited August 2012

I've been with a host which did this, it only had pretty simple functionality so I didn't like it. But if the features were there then it would be ok I guess, great for low bandwidth connections. Can't remember the hosts name.

Infact, just gave me an idea for a mini project - use the SolusVM api to make a super simple console based interface for that.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Control panel for what - shared hosting, vps, dedicated servers, etc.?

Also, you can pretty much control everything via SSH already, so if it ahs web front-end would be much better.

• It's a bit of a novelty item. I don't see any real merit beyond that.

• Yeah i should have said it, a control panel for VPS hosting.
    It's for the user point of view, so the basic needs that a user have on his VPS...

• You mean something curses based accessible via ssh?

• TazTaz Member

STALLION FTW. Beat that panel and I will buy a new car.

• @telephone said: It's a bit of a novelty item. I don't see any real merit beyond that.

I don't see any real merit in a control panel anyway, you just need one for your customers :)

• @rds100 said: You mean something curses based accessible via ssh?

Something the like with an interactive menu

• What benefits would that have? Using a webbased control panel like Solus is working fine, no need to reinvent the wheel.

• @corehosting it's a neat idea and would have some geek factor but in reality most people today are used to working with web interfaces, not SMIT like menus.

• corehostingcorehosting Member
    edited August 2012

@rds100 said: most people today are used to working with web interfaces, not SMIT like menus.

Indeed hence my question... if there's definitely no interest i'll stay on pure web based interface... To me it's just a matter of frontend anyway

• @gsrdgrdghd said: What benefits would that have?

To me? Not paying SolusVM and working with my own opensource product.
    For users? Seeing a user needs this shouldn't make any difference.

• pcanpcan Member

I see advantages over a GUI control panel if your solution could support scripted tasks; this could be useful for automation.

• @pcan said: I see advantages over a GUI control panel if your solution could support scripted tasks; this could be useful for automation.

You mean like a "crontab" support? What do you imagine being able to automate?

• I try this feature when I'm with EvoRack, but their current function is just for Start/Reboot/Pause the VPS. I'm cancelling my vps with them because I have to send a ticket every time I want to reinstall the os.

If you have the new function like reinstalling and setting the rdns, it would be nice :)

• flyfly Member

sort of like vpsfarm?

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited August 2012

@ErawanArifNugroho said: I'm cancelling my vps with them because I have to send a ticket every time I want to reinstall the os.

Why do you reload your system so much? I have had a server with them for 1.5 years and have never had to reload the server, not even once. I actually prefer the CLI they use because I don't have to sit and wait for Solusvm's crappy interface to load. The CLI is pretty smooth and when it comes down to it, It simply works, period. Honestly, I have maybe even had to use it twice in my entire experience with them. People go on and on about BuyVM and others being so stable.... other than a single planned maintenance window which required a restart, I have never had to restart my server with EvoRack. It is definitively one of the most stable providers I have used a LEB from, and I do have a pretty decent collection these days.

Actually, @corehosting I would like to see what you could come up with for a CLI based control panel, as I am sure any old time *nix user who enjoys using CLI would. As long as you can create a dependable and easy to use solution that works I do not see a need for it to be a GUI. Sadly all the noobs around here start to cry when they don't have a bunch of pretty pictures to click on, learning the CLI is just too hard for some it seems. ("Insert sarcastic moan from noob user here." Don't worry, It will be ok, you need a cookie?) People need to learn that if you ever plan to be a real system administrator or programmer your going to have to learn CLI at some point and learn to love it, why not start at the control panel? By always using a GUI the only person you are hurting is your self.

With all the people crying about all the issues with SolusVM recently and looking for a new (albeit free) control panel, you would think any option that can provide the needed utilities to administrate a vps would be welcome and reviewed with an open mind.

TL;DR

Even if people around here are not anxious to try it, do not let it deter you from trying it for your self. Maybe do both? I do not see why a ssh driven control panel and the ability to use API functions from your WHMCS/billing portal could not be a usable combination. The noobs will always want some fancy GUI.. the rest of us will be happy with something that is dependable and works well.

My 2cents

Cheers!

P.S. For the noobs: CLI = Command Line Interface

• @ErawanArifNugroho said: If you have the new function like reinstalling and setting the rdns, it would be nice :)

I'm thinking of all the basic features: stats, start/stop/reboot, but also cdrom mounting options, enabling/disabling VNC, changing VNC password, boot order etc...

Well as full featured as possible

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • @TheLinuxBug Yeah i'm actually wondering what would be better between a "firewall appliance" like shell, and an interactive menu with all the options easily accessible.
    I was thinking putting something like an applet/ajax term for the website integration - The same "menu" directly from the website to be "user" friendly.

• pcanpcan Member

Some simple tasks that could be scripted or automated:

• shutdown VPS that must not be accessible at certain times (non-business hours), and turn on again at scheduled time.
    • periodic deploy of OVZ templates, to automatically provision test environements that need to always start from a "blank sheet" status.
      More advanced VPS management (like vpsfarm, or aws) would be nice to have, of course.

Please have a mean to specify the VNC console keymap. SolusVM only supports USA keymap; it is a real trouble when you have a non-US keyboard and passwords with symbols.

• @pcan that automated thing sounds interesting though i'm mainly working with KVM as a start :)
    About VNC, i have the feeling it's more an issue with the VNC java applet provided by SolusVM right? (And i have the same problem as you ;) )

• Would you guys use a host that only did a CLI control panel?

• I'd definitely prefer a full interface. It's just something I would feel more comfortable with and I would find easier to use (such as when it's 2am and the most energy I have is to slowly slide the touchpad and tap-click stuff)

• So here is a better idea - make a web panel that is also usable with lynx

• Maybe CLI is better than have to submit a ticket :D

• @winston said: such as when it's 2am and the most energy I have is to slowly slide the touchpad and tap-click stuff

In that case wouldn't an interactive menu with keypad + enter a more efficient way ? :D

@rds100 Please no :P

• pcanpcan Member

@corehosting: The keymap issue on KVM console depends on the keymap switch passed to the Qemu command line, it is a server-side issue. It is not a java applet (client) issue. I usually open a ticket to the provider to have the console fixed, but this will disable almost all SolusVM features.

• @pcan Ok i hear you :)

• @pcan said: Please have a mean to specify the VNC console keymap. SolusVM only supports USA keymap; it is a real trouble when you have a non-US keyboard and passwords with symbols.

You can specify any keymap you want under Configuration >> Keymaps

Thanked by 1Victor
  • SpiritSpirit Member
    edited August 2012

@Damian said: Would you guys use a host that only did a CLI control panel?

Sure. Evorack is good example. They are among most popular vps hosts here. As long things work well and isn't needed to open support ticket for every little thing it should be ok.