Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SolusVM can't increase RAM past 7gb
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SolusVM can't increase RAM past 7gb

edited August 2012 in Providers

Hi All,

I have been having an issue where I cannot increase the RAM of a container above 7gb yet there is a great deal of RAM available on the node. I have been batting back and forth with SolusVM support and I have finally received this response:

"That looks fine, all I can assume is that its a bug in OpenVZ, I know thats not a lot of use to you but Im not sure what else to suggest really."

I am guessing this is the end of the line with them. Has anyone else experienced this issue recently?

Comments

• Welcome to OpenVZ!

• @ShardHost What kernel are you running from OVZ?

• BrandonBrandon Member
    edited August 2012

I've never had any issues like this. What OS is the slave running? What kernel too?

I do have tons of problems with SolusVM though...

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

In that kind of range I don't know that I see the benefit of OpenVZ over true virtualization. The real benefit of OpenVZ, as I see it, is that it's lightweight and provides a great way to maximize the productivity of a single system by allowing resource sharing that is a bit more elastic than more traditional methods of virtualization.

Granted I don't know what your purpose is here, but my mind would immediately shift to KVM at such high allotments.

• @jarland said: In that kind of range I don't know that I see the benefit of OpenVZ over true virtualization.

Overselling

Thanked by 1tux
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Problem is on your side:
    http://i.imgur.com/GnmVe.png

• You know... migrating everybody to KVM / XEN would be hard right? @Jarland, if everything is running somewhat smooth.

I do think expansion into that market would be good however, to allow more "demanding" consumers to take advantage of such resources without using shared pools from OVZ's kernel.

• edited August 2012

@eastonch said: @ShardHost What kernel are you running from OVZ?

@Brandon said: I've never had any issues like this. What OS is the slave running? What kernel too?

CentOS 6.2 - 2.6.32-042stab053.5

I do have tons of problems with SolusVM though...

Both times I have come to a dead end with SolusVM support it has been deemed to be an "OpenVZ bug".

@jarland said: In that kind of range I don't know that I see the benefit of OpenVZ over true virtualization. The real benefit of OpenVZ, as I see it, is that it's lightweight and provides a great way to maximize the productivity of a single system by allowing resource sharing that is a bit more elastic than more traditional methods of virtualization.

Granted I don't know what your purpose is here, but my mind would immediately shift to KVM at such high allotments.

@breton said: @jarland said: In that kind of range I don't know that I see the benefit of OpenVZ over true virtualization.

Overselling

Not overselling (well anymore than you can on any other virtualisation, network CPU etc). OpenVZ generally offers a little easier backend management. Our typical openVZ offerings are not this large; however a customer wanted to crank up the size of their VPS

• @eastonch said: You know... migrating everybody to KVM / XEN would be hard right? @Jarland, if everything is running somewhat smooth.

You can convert Xen/KVM to OpenVZ, but the other way round is pretty hard. You'd essentially just have to move everything manually.

@eastonch Yeah I guess I'm just thinking that people who want resources like that, at what they typically cost, might actually try to use it and overselling anything more than 10-20% scares me. I can't say I'm basing it off experience of watching people purchase or use those kind of allotments though.

• TazTaz Member

@Alex_liquidhost you log into your solusvm admin panel with oUT SSL? ermahgerd!!

• @eastonch said: You know... migrating everybody to KVM / XEN would be hard right? @Jarland, if everything is running somewhat smooth.

I do think expansion into that market would be good however, to allow more "demanding" consumers to take advantage of such resources without using shared pools from OVZ's kernel.

New servers are coming for KVM. Just needed to sell of a few of our other servers to make room for them.

@jarland said: @eastonch Yeah I guess I'm just thinking that people who want resources like that, at what they typically cost, might actually try to use it and overselling anything more than 10-20% scares me. I can't say I'm basing it off experience of watching people purchase or use those kind of allotments though.

RAM became extremely cheap lately, overselling got less-common.

However if it is done cleverly, you can maximise the profit by alot. Go to WHIR, on the webinars and look for the one about VPS bussiness and maximising profit and watch it and you will change your point of view, same as I did :P

Thanked by 1jar

@NinjaHawk said: @Alex_liquidhost you log into your solusvm admin panel with oUT SSL? ermahgerd!!

I am connected through encrypted private VPN, through a locked up personal wireless network, safe enough.. I usually use SSL though, just typed it via 5353 this time, new windows installtion, a couple of hours ago and hadn't logged in till now :P

• @Alex_LiquidHost said: Problem is on your side:

http://i.imgur.com/GnmVe.png

Thanks, although I am doing nothing different and it is certainly not working. SolusLabs have also been on the node and master and they can't get it working either. Hence their claim 'OpenVZ bug'

@ShardHost said: Thanks, although I am doing nothing different and it is certainly not working. SolusLabs have also been on the node and master and they can't get it working either. Hence their claim 'OpenVZ bug'

Are you running the latest kernel?

• @ShardHost Strange about that tbh...
    Good luck with KVM deployment, let me know when it's all up, I may have to have a test of one :D!

• @Alex_LiquidHost said: Are you running the latest kernel?

Just upgraded to latest and still same problem. Just checking if issue with VZctrl, will try manually adjusting the container on the node

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

I'm sure that one time I assigned 32 or 64GB to a container for a joke using solusvm interface so it seems something which affect only you...

• I've never seen this happen before, having setup large VEs on several different kinds of OpenVZ and Xen systems managed with SolusVM. Which kernel, and which version of vzctl are you using?

@jarland said: In that kind of range I don't know that I see the benefit of OpenVZ over true virtualization. The real benefit of OpenVZ, as I see it, is that it's lightweight and provides a great way to maximize the productivity of a single system by allowing resource sharing that is a bit more elastic than more traditional methods of virtualization.

I tend to agree with this -- to me there's no point at all in configuring a 7GB OpenVZ container, unless budget is more of a concern than quality.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @prometeus said: I'm sure that one time I assigned 32 or 64GB to a container for a joke using solusvm interface so it seems something which affect only you...

Likely not to be solusvm as vzctl will not increase the RAM to this size either

@vps6net said: I tend to agree with this -- to me there's no point at all in configuring a 7GB OpenVZ container, unless budget is more of a concern than quality.

I'd agree generally also; however having no KVM offering at this time and the customer wanting to increase resources it was the only option

@vps6net said: I've never seen this happen before, having setup large VEs on several different kinds of OpenVZ and Xen systems managed with SolusVM. Which kernel, and which version of vzctl are you using?

Kernel - 2.6.32-042stab053.5 VZctl - vzctl-3.0.29.3-1

@ShardHost Hey if they're paying.... ;)

• @ShardHost said: Kernel - 2.6.32-042stab053.5 VZctl - vzctl-3.0.29.3-1

Has to be either your kernel or vzctl version, just for grins, a 128gb node, via solusvm I increased ram to 32gb

[root@e5clt19 ~]# vzlist | grep bigtim
          4138         13 running   206.253.167.9   e5clt19.bigtim.net
    [root@e5clt19 ~]# vzctl exec 4138 free -m
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:          1024         23       1000          0          0          9
    -/+ buffers/cache:         13       1010
    Swap:            0          0          0
    [root@e5clt19 ~]# vzctl exec 4138 free -m
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:         32768         23      32744          0          0         10
    -/+ buffers/cache:         13      32754
    Swap:            0          0          0
    [root@e5clt19 ~]# uname -a
    Linux e5clt19.hostigation.com 2.6.32-042stab057.1 #1 SMP Fri Jun 22 02:17:07 MSD 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    [root@e5clt19 ~]#  vzctl --version
    vzctl version 3.3
    [root@e5clt19 ~]#

So update your kernel and vzctl and reboot. Sundays were made for it ;)

• @miTgiB thanks for that post.

• edited August 2012

@miTgiB said: So update your kernel and vzctl and reboot. Sundays were made for it ;)

Well, it was on the cards for a lazy Sunday. With others now confirming it is not a 'vz bug' I went ahead with it. After doing a kernel upgrade and vzctl upgrade all is rocking well.

Thanks ;)

• Lazy sunday may commence! @ShardHost!