Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Storage servers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Storage servers

WilliamWilliam Member
edited August 2012 in General

Hello,

Would you consider this a usable offer?

AMD Dualcore 1,5Ghz
2GB RAM
4x3TB Enterprise HDD (no raid card / delivered unformatted)
90GB/120GB boot SSD (or 250GB boot HDD)
Gbit uplink
10TB Traffic IN / 1TB OUT
1 IPv4 / /112 IPv6
EDIS DC1/2 Graz, Austria

ca. 80EUR / month ex. VAT

Thanks for any reply :)

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie

Comments

• Looks good.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited August 2012

I like it. What about 1tb out? If I actually manage to fill the drives with data, and then need all of it for an emergency restoration, can I pay for the transfer?

Where can I sign up?

• dearroydearroy Member, Host Rep

nice offer.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited August 2012

@Damian said: I like it. What about 1tb out? If I actually manage to fill the drives with data, and then need all of it for an emergency restoration, can I pay for the transfer?

The limit is more theoretical anyway, it likely will be 10TB IN/OUT shared
    I'm still calculating the price, but it will be around that then :)

Should note:
    The HDDs are "24hour HDDS" (for video recorders) but not "real" enterprise HDDs, we never had any issues with them though.

• Can you please share the brand/model of the 3TB enterprise drives? Our suppliers only have up to 2TB enterprise HDDs :(

• InsidieaInsidiea Member
    edited August 2012

@rds100 said: Can you please share the brand/model of the 3TB enterprise drives?

He said that they we're desktop models, I think

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Sounds good to me

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited August 2012

@rds100 said: Can you please share the brand/model of the 3TB enterprise drives? Our suppliers only have up to 2TB enterprise HDDs :(

Consumer/NAS:
    Seagate SV35 ST3000VX000 - 3TB 7200rpm 64MB 3.5zoll SATA600
    138EUR

Enterprise:
    Likely these will be used however:
    Western Digital Green WD30EZRX - 3TB 5400rpm 64MB 3.5zoll SATA600
    120EUR

Or, maybe a cheaper edition with 4x2TB:

Consumer/NAS:
    Seagate Spinpoint ST2000DL004/HD204UI - 2TB 5400rpm 32MB 3.5zoll SATA300
    68EUR

Enterprise:
    Seagate ST2000VM002 Pipeline HD 5900.2 - 2TB 5900rpm 64MB SATA300
    89EUR

Thanked by 1rds100
  • pcanpcan Member

Hardware specs are similar to HP microserver. It is a good small backup/NAS server and very cheap; it also supports virtualization and has ecc memory (a must have for a backup server). Colocation could be a better value for this low-end server, do you have a special price for this? Edis standard colocation rate is geared towards high-specs, high-power servers.

• flyfly Member

i've had pretty bad experience with the wd green's. have you looked into the samsung f3?

the first seagate drive looks pretty good

• I would be interested

• @pcan said: Hardware specs are similar to HP microserver

Because it is one :)

@pcan said: Colocation could be a better value for this low-end server, do you have a special price for this?

No, they use quite much power and space, so default price.
    The high price is also intended, we do not like to sell colocation at all.

• Would this come with IPMI or KVMoIP?

• @MrLawoodle said: Would this come with IPMI or KVMoIP?

No/No.
    These servers have no internal iLO as usual HPs do.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited August 2012

@William said: These servers have no internal iLO as usual HPs do.

No possibility to have temp KVMoIP for the custom install?

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited August 2012

This is possible of course.

• This looks very affordable, but a slight overkill for my needs. I'm sure some people would love to get their hands on these specs though.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited August 2012

I think 3x3tb with minimum of 2tb outbound bw @ 70EUR would be the perfect deal. Comes in just under $90.00 USD and has just the right amount of space. Though I suppose for those who want to setup raid5 or better the extra drive could come in handy. I would probably just stripe (raid0) and use it to store back-ups and 9TB would be plenty. As I said though, depends on your intended use. Drives seem a little slow to do a vps server of anykind with decent io, but perfect for storage and back-ups.

My 2 Cents.

P.S. If you think you will offer something around the 70EUR price point with 9tb send me a pm, i may snag one if I can fit it in my budget.

Edit: I re-read and saw it is gbit, my bad :)

• @TheLinuxBug said: P.S. If you think you will offer something around the 70EUR price point with 9tb send me a pm, i may snag one if I can fit it in my budget.

yea, no, that is totally unrealistic...

• It could be realistic, with a 200EUR setup fee :)

• Definately interested.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited August 2012

@William said: yea, no, that is totally unrealistic...

I figured that was saving you about 120EUR+/- on a drive and would be worth a savings of 10 EUR on the cost of the server monthly. Are you saying regardless of the one less drive you would still charge the same? What is realistic?

P.S. I am not concerned with having a SSD drive either for boot, the 3 3tb drives would be plenty.

• Argh, Yes, it is totally realistic, i am not sure wtf i did read there...

• How much longer on this? :P

• This was only a request if anyone is interested at all.... not an offer at all :)

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

/me Slips a check on @William 's desk ;)

• @William Well if you do decide to put it together and think you can hit around that price point let me know! Thanks.

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

With the VAT isn't that going to be almost 100 euro?

I just ask because by then you're almost competing with something like this offer from Hetzner:
    http://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/produkte_rootserver/xs13

• Yes, but we don't compete with Hetzner - entirely different business structure.

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

The end product is what many (maybe not us LET'ers) look at though. :-)

BTW if these are the HP boxes pointing out they have ECC RAM would be a benefit as that makes a difference for storage servers IMO.