Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are your thoughts on StatusCake?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What are your thoughts on StatusCake?

As the title suggests, I'm looking for opinions regarding StatusCake [Pros, Cons, Recommend or not to etc..]

Regards,

Comments

• rmlhhdrmlhhd Member
    edited April 2015

--

• Well, the last time I used them, they had tons of false-positives and they failed to fix the issues I had with them twice.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Yeah false prositives, and sometimes delays.

• On a more serious note I used to use them a lot but as they became more popular and their servers were under higher load I'd often get false positives and when I receive an SMS every time one of the servers went down it started to become annoying and was costing me in credits.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited April 2015

About 6 months ago I was looking for a
    monitoring solution for work, and tested a number of solutions including StatusCake.

It was among the worst performing off the solutions, it frequently missed short periods of downtime and notification was delayed when it did spot them. I also had a number of false positives as others have mentioned.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2015

I am currently using it via their business plan and have no complaints. No missed downtime and either detects downtime the same speed or faster than nodeping.

• They miss most issues and the ones they do catch are normally hours later.

I use dozens of different monitoring services and the one the consistently works is Wormly.

• edited April 2015

$79 for 50 targets

faints

So far, I haven't found anything that's free and still works reasonably.

The closest I've come to having something that's reliable is a Nagios setup on Incero Dallas.

• SCDanielSCDaniel Member
    edited April 2015

I'd say give us a try and make a decision for yourself. :)

Our free plan is very feature rich and frankly for the vast majority of people it suits just fine. We've offered it for three years and will continue to do so (with no strings attached, it's free without adverts).

In terms of false positives; The vast vast majority of people who get 'false positives' have a server that blocks our IPs and have not white-listed.

I will also stress to ensure you get the best service be sure to take note of these two settings:

Time to Alert (This is a metric of how long it will take for your site to trigger an alert, reducing things like check rate and confirmation servers helps here, as does trigger time).

And Confirmation Servers. We default to three but some people reduce this to get alerts slightly faster, below three we can't guarantee the alerts are correct, but it's the power to the user to make that choice.

If you signed up ago more than a year ago and had issues back then, drop me a PM and I'll give you **three months free business plan ** to show we're doing great :)

• A great article on our KB on ensuring you get alerted:

http://kb.statuscake.com/hc/en-us/articles/202382541-I-Didn-t-Get-Alerted-

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Their reviews here and elsewhere have not been good.

• SCDanielSCDaniel Member
    edited April 2015

The final thing I'll say here is at StatusCake every single user at 7 days and then at 45 days is sent a customer survey. It's how we judge how we're doing (of course negativity is more popular than positivity when it comes to forums). I'm not going to be arrogant and say we're perfect, if we we're we'd have everyone saying 10/10, but I also feel it's a good representation of our product:

I can say personally speaking, I would not be still working on StatusCake three years later if I didn't strongly believe in it's quality; we've reinvested every penny back in to StatusCake so this isn't some short term money grab, for us as a team it's investing in creating a quality product.

@SCDaniel

How often is domain data crawled?

• @Awmusic12635 said:
    SCDaniel

How often is domain data crawled?

Every 24 hours is the core figure, however that is give or take a few hours depending on crawl status. We support most domain IDN's but alas due to the way that WHOIS data works some IDN's are not supported at current.

• SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2015

StatusCake has been fine for me. Been using it for one week.

I know a week is not long at all, but so far I like what it offers.

• I've never had false positives, however I have noticed some missed downtimes. The dashboard would log a 2 minute downtime (that I caused) but I wouldn't get a notification.

I've also noticed more than a few bugs in the dashboard - which never feels fast.

Oh, huge issue, the SMTP check is breaking a couple RFC's causing my anti-spam server to blacklist Status Cake servers - I had to disable that check.

All in all, not as good as their competitors, but the price (~$10/m) is closer to what I'm willing to spend.

• sinsin Member

I'm using NixStats right now and it works extremely well.

Thanked by 1vfuse
  • Tested them a while back, tons of false positives.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

my issue was false positives too, but worse still no useable data to go with it.

• Thank you all for the insightful feedback!

• In the beginning it worked great. Was not expensive and it worked all the time. Had a lot of fun with support, they were really nice guys (especially the one with the hat).

I bought one of the medium packages real soon, it worked great. But then suddenly false positves, very slow help desk (and no more fun anymore). Then the prices went up and I quit.

Used to be very good, but upscaling clearly did not work for them.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

SCDaniel said: below three we can't guarantee the alerts are correct

If you provided some data that would be a big help.

The thing is if there is a break in the communication it could be anywhere and you do not control the connectivity end to end so you cannot say it is truly down.

Pingdom at least recognize this and that is why they provide tracrt/mtr data (from multiple sources) along with any downtime reported.

There may well be an issue at some point down the link from your servers to mine but if you just say it is down and I am logged in and working on the thing that is supposed to be down at the time all I can assume is false positive and you cant prove any different.

Nothing that has not been said before to you over and over again though.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited April 2015

AnthonySmith said: Pingdom at least recognize this and that is why they provide tracrt/mtr data (from multiple sources) along with any downtime reported.

This. Monitis do the same, and it can be invaluable in working out what's going on in an incident situation.

• loads of false downs and also false ups, would randomly tell me a server started pinging again when it had been powered off for days

interface for setting up checks was fairly nice and looked flexible, moreso if you had a paid account

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

Samsung, hawaiian airlines and the Australian Department of Defense use statuscake??

I find that a bit hard to believe

SCDaniel said: Every 24 hours is the core figure, however that is give or take a few hours depending on crawl status. We support most domain IDN's but alas due to the way that WHOIS data works some IDN's are not supported at current.

Any chance you could check mine, been waiting about a week.

• Disney uses Statuscake? Must be because of all its premium features /s