Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OnApp & KVM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OnApp & KVM

cnzhhicnzhhi Member
edited August 2012 in Help

Does OnApp support KVM? And are there anyone doing this?

Comments

• BrandonBrandon Member
    edited August 2012

Google is your friend: http://onapp.com/cloud/how-it-works/architecture/

"Hypervisors host virtual machines and give them access to virtualized hardware resources. OnApp supports multiple hypervisor platforms including Xen & KVM."

From what I know there's tons. I'm not sure about the ones on LET though.

• Most of the questions that get posted here can be done with a nice Google Search :P

Thanked by 1Amfy
  • jhjh Member

Yes it does, and we're doing this.

• OnApp is simply another control panel. (And its incredibly slow) so it should support them all.

• jhjh Member

@DanielM said: (And its incredibly slow)

No it's not.

@DanielM said: it should support them all.

Currently it supports Xen and KVM, with VMWare on the way.

• @jhadley said: No it's not.

Well when i tested it it was. Strangely though the UK2 version is much faster

• CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep

UK2 control panel might be faster, but they dont half know how to make their hardware crash

Thanked by 1jh
  • jhjh Member
    edited August 2012

@DanielM said: Well when i tested it it was. Strangely though the UK2 version is much faster

When was that? I've been using it for some time on fairly low powered control panel servers and it's faster than most of its alternatives. If you want something really slow, try PIM!

• @jhadley said: When was that? I've been using it for some time on fairly low powered servers and it's faster than most of its alternatives. If you want something really slow, try PIM!

About a month ago. Am using proxmox and Hyper-v and virtuozzo at the mo. Much much faster

• flyfly Member

onapp looks a lot better than solusvm.

• jhjh Member

@DanielM said: virtuozzo

Not sure about the others but VZ is definitely slower. I use PIM at my day job and it's constantly timing out.

@fly said: onapp looks a lot better than solusvm.

Yes, of course it is. Solus is a piece of crap!

• @jhadley said: Solus is a piece of crap!

Hard to disagree with that comment :L i hate it myself & the owners are pretty much useless.

• @jhadley said: Not sure about the others but VZ is definitely slower. I use PIM at my day job and it's constantly timing out.

Depends on the system i guess. but it wasn't the actual vps speeds it was the speeds of transactions (Reboot, Start, Shutdown etc)

• jhjh Member
    edited August 2012

@DanielM said: Depends on the system i guess. but it wasn't the actual vps speeds it was the speeds of transactions (Reboot, Start, Shutdown etc)

Well both VZ and OnApp use similar queuing systems, which are adjustable in various ways. Naturally VZ is going to be slightly faster at shutting down etc., as it's dealing with containers rather than fully virtualised guests. That's the virtualisation, not the control panel.

If any of you want to play with the latest version we have a test rig up.

• @httpzoom said: If any of you want to play with the latest version we have a test rig up.

What specs?

Management Node:

• Intel Xeon Quad-Core L5410
    • 8GB Memory
    • 2x 2.5" 146GB 15k Hard Drive

Hypervisors x2:

• Intel Xeon Quad-Core L5410
    • 8GB Memory
    • 120GB Vertex SSD

Backup Server:

• Intel Core2 Duo E4500
    • 2GB Memory
    • 160GB 7200rpm Hard Disk
  • Can you please PM me a login? I actually wouldn't mind giving it a run myself.

• Didn't find it slow running on FDCs servers :)