Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Minecraft Server setup - the basics.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Minecraft Server setup - the basics.

TazTaz Member
edited August 2012 in Help

Ok let me be clear never played minecraft, I got no experience with it. But recently I have been seeing too many places/hosts who offer minecraft hosting.

Before you start bashing the knuckle put of me, I will most likely not get into this business for atleast next 18 mo. But before I do anything, I have decided to try out minecraft hosting business by doing it free. So I or users have 0 to loose while me and my partner can gain some MC administration skill, get used to with the support quiery and such. And we will most likely be hosting that for some local kids/gamers.

So lets get back to the main reason,
Besides good I/O PERFORMANCE, better network, powerful CPU and shit load of ram, what does it take to become a mc host?
Does mc works on *nix or only windows?
What are the licensing cost?
Do you get/need a GUI setup to manage or can be done over command line?
How does the administration itself works? Is it a click and go system or requires task over command line?
What are the basic administration setup?
How does the user connects? Do they use a local client from their computer or everything is done online?

What else am I missing here? O yes, a noob friendly guide on how to play MC. I would like to play myself aswell.

Comments

• Minecraft servers work on any *nix that can take the Sun JDK.

Minecraft itself is free as in beer, and the common mod package (Bukkit) is FOSS. Management can be done over CLI using the various configuration files and whatnot, but most people like pointy-clicky thingies.

There are packages like Multicraft/MCMyAdmin that trivialize the configuration of the server and its management, but those cost $$$ per month. Some have created their own management panels, too.

Users connect via hostname/IP in the Minecraft client. In theory everyone pays for their copy but in practice it's not too hard to get a pirated version. Pirated versions can only play on "offline mode" servers, also known as 'pirate friendly' servers.

• I've installed Minecraft on a CentOS 6 and Debian 6 by using Multicraft. you can also get the tutorial there.

If you want to connect there, you have to be premium user/bought the game from Minecraft.net, and loging into the server by using the launcher and also using your username.

If you not premium, you still can connect by using cracked version.

• TazTaz Member

Thanks for the basic intro. So what we have here is, there is no licensing cost for the host but for the clients /players there is. Similar to BF and COD I guess. How ever, there is a licensing cost for control panel like the same way, Linux is free but cpanel cost money.

• Minecraft is dead. If you are not already in the game of hosting MC I wish you the best of luck. My sales have plummeted lately. Put your money into a new and upcoming game if you want something worth your money. PM me if you want more info.

Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • TazTaz Member

Hmm I was never a fan of GS hosting. Well I am not a gamer so that makes sense. I was more looking into providing some sort of reseller plan.

But yes good thoughts.

• AsadAsad Member
    edited August 2012

Check out MinecraftForums.net for info/tips/hosts/advertising, etc. and Multicraft for the control panel (its got WHMCS integration too).

• Minecraft is a fad. It won't last forever and I doubt it will be even as close to as popular as it is now in 18 months. This happens with every game.

Minecraft is fairly easy to setup and works on Linux and Windows. Licensing costs vary as mentioned above depending on what you use. The possibilities are literally endless and managing it via command line works well too.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited August 2012

You can't be a good host until you're an experienced player. Simple reality, you won't get around it. No other game hosting compares. It is quite unique as well as frustrating.

• @NinjaHawk
    TBH, It's not worth it to deal with all those little kids and their moms, but if you want information:

OS
    You most likely want to put it on a *nix box, linux minecraft servers are multi threaded, and minecraft can't use multi threading on a windows box.

Licensing

Multicraft panels are pretty cheap, or if you're good with php and making control panels, you can make your own and base if off McMyAdmin/Multicraft.
    That's pretty the only licensing you have to pay.
    Most people prefer to use a GUI based control panel, command line might be difficult for some age groups and put off people.

Administration

You'll get alot of "omg how do i install this plugin" or "MY SERVER IS OFFLINE HELP" or "SOMEONE GRIEFED MY SERVER HELP" but if you just say you do not provide plugin managment, or charge an additional cost for it, then you should be fine.
    other than that, there shouldn't be too many support tickets other than basic ones or questions.

Connectivity

The owner will probably need FTP access (Multiverse does this automatically) and he will connect to the server via minecraft by typing the IP of the server, to minecraft and hitting connect. You should offer subdomain AAA records to their server IP, so they can easily remember it, etc 123.123.123 -> user5013.ninjahawk.com.
    Another thing is ports, minecraft by default uses port 25565, when a user connects to a server that's running on port 25565, they would just type 123.123.123.123, but if they were to connect to a server running on port 25566, it would be 123.123.123.123:25566.
    Obviously you can only have one port 25565 running per IP, you should make having a dedicated IP cost extra, or if it doesn't cost you much, give them a dedicated IP.

Side notes

With the higher up plans, you should add a free MySQL database, some plugins use this and it's useful for them.

• TazTaz Member

Thanks a lot for those valuable inputs. I will probably stay away from providing minecraft hosting but might do some small ones for fun. I will probably do battlefields and cod as those are something I am more familiar with and know my way around. By the time I will get uses to with it, mine craft might endup with gameboy and gamecube.

• AsimAsim Member

Why is it in the DOMAINS category?

• TazTaz Member

I do not know. Posted from my cell phone. Let me try to fix it.

• Another thing, kiddies have a tendancy to threaten much more than they can chew.

Expect threats to be sued, and to have the giggles BBB come.

• TazTaz Member

Hmm thats a fact I have learnt from my experience.

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

@NinjaHawk

I'm pretty good with Minecraft and would do the following..
    Get a VPS (such as a 256 or 512MB) for the Multicraft daemon (control panel). Get a license for Multicraft that supports the amount of servers you want. Add your MC nodes to Multicraft and set Multicraft (but not the panel) up on them too.

Update the bukkit jar's and stuff via Multicraft. Install java on all the nodes. Should be good to go.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited August 2012

@Insidiea said: You most likely want to put it on a *nix box, linux minecraft servers are multi threaded, and minecraft can't use multi threading on a windows box.

You can multi-thread the garbage collector, but the minecraft server itself is not natively multi-threaded.

There are multiple different ways of separating MC servers.

Shared MC - Each server is separated through UNIX users, this is how Multicraft does it. This has the performance advantage and is easier to automate however it means you can not bind multiple IPs, or put a hard limit on the RAM (a MC plugin can actually just re-spawn the server with more RAM above the limit).

Container MC - Run each MC server in its own container, this is how PiePanel does it. This has the advantage of you can enforce a hard limit on the RAM and separates users better then just relying on the UNIX sandbox. However has a slight performance disadvantage (although only 1-3% with a correctly configured OpenVZ install) and a small RAM overhead (6-12MB). You also require a dedicated IP for this method unless you use local IPs and port forwarding. But you can have multiple IPs, even IPv6 and IPv4 at the same time.

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie
  • flyfly Member

@Spencer said: Minecraft is dead. If you are not already in the game of hosting MC I wish you the best of luck. My sales have plummeted lately. Put your money into a new and upcoming game if you want something worth your money. PM me if you want more info.

cs:go

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited August 2012

If you are looking into gameserver hosting, i suggest DayZ (Arma 2 servers). Its new, its "in" and there aren't that many hosts, but i think it requires Windows to run and there isn't a dcent control panel.

In addition the userbase is more mature than the one of Minecraft.

• @Dionysus Dayz is a whole different game, windows and generally needs its own dedicated server.

• I heard they're making the DayZ mod into it's own game now too?

• @Brandon said: I heard they're making the DayZ mod into it's own game now too?

Its been confirmed.

• @HalfEatenPie said: Its been confirmed.

Nice can't wait to try it out. Looks like a fun game and I've always enjoyed the zombie survival games.