Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking at host options for 'package deal' VPSs
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking at host options for 'package deal' VPSs

cr08cr08 Member
edited November 2011 in General

Long story short I am currently with Thrust and while service has been 'Ok' barring a few issues here and there, I am looking to switch because 2 specific features offered when I signed up I have all but been refused. That and service is slowly degrading.

Here's the basic setup I am after:
Box 1: Linux (Debian/Ubuntu), 512MB ram, low disk space requirements (10-15GB?). Preferred something 'native' like Xen/KVM/VMWare. Never been a big fan of OpenVZ. Unless someone can convince otherwise to use it? Usage is low but encompasses a wide swath of services: Apache, MySQL, DNS, Mail, some custom services with very low ram usage and self sustained outside of a few standard system packages. Low bandwidth. 250-500GB sufficient most likely. Sometimes/Not often used as a development/test 'x' application system.
Box 2: Windows, 512MB very least/1GB preferred. 30GB minimum disk space (Being able to upgrade down the road is a big plus). CPU usage is low-moderate but constant. 1TB bandwidth likely needed. Done basic 'worst case scenario' calculations and come in a little over that but not likely to come close and if I do, I'll have moved on likely to a dedi box.

Catch here: Must have working unmetered private networking between VPSes. If this is doable, overall bandwidth can be balanced between the two. A plus item is working rDNS.

Not asking for much in terms of performance. Box 1 is idle most of the time. The services being accessed regularly are very low CPU. Box 2, after the whole setup process and configuration is settled down, is low but constant usage. The node I had this on with Thrust seemed to be to the point of feeling like it was on a single core P3 with just basic windows tasks. Annoying trying to remote in and staring at a slideshow most of the time (connection speed was good, cpu was just anemic)

Thanks!

Comments

• Thrust sucks... hehehe, another one

Well, none of your services require nothing special, so you can use OpenVZ, convinced? xD

With the proper optimization 512 MB is more than enough due to the low usage that you will have.

And, about the private networking, I don't remember other provider than BuyVM with that feature

• Second on the buyvm as offering the private networking. The problem is that the provider would have to lease the rack those servers sit on and many of these providers just have a small number of servers, usually scattered around a datacenter.

I remember someone else offering private networking but I can't find it right off.

• Ok, isn't cheap, but rackspace offers it xD

• @yomero said: Well, none of your services require nothing special, so you can use OpenVZ, convinced?

You missed Windows? That alone nixed OpenVZ, while windows is probably not needed, the OP is still willing to pay for and use it.

• @miTgiB said: You missed Windows? That alone nixed OpenVZ, while windows is probably not needed, the OP is still willing to pay for and use it.

Well, we don't know what he will run in Windows...

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@cr08 said: Catch here: Must have working unmetered private networking between VPSes. If this is doable, overall bandwidth can be balanced between the two. A plus item is working rDNS.

Since our name has been brought up twice, we actually have a single, merged, private LAN between OpenVZ & KVM. I think we're the only provider on the market with a fully working private LAN setup for OpenVZ.

Francisco

• The Windows box is actually required given a project I am working on gets to a certain point. I have a very specific program that is Windows only and there are zero suitable alternatives for other platforms.

Yeah, the private LAN option seems to be a hard one to find so far in my searches. Thrust 'offered' it but in the end was unable to claiming their own host who held the node my two boxes were on did not support it. I've been looking at Burst but the one key part that has been holding me back there is Linux is only available as OpenVZ and they have no burst RAM. Again, if someone can convince me I'd be willing to try OpenVZ. My biggest fear is those rare opportunities some program could go AWOL and eat up all the available RAM and all kinds of hell could break loose with other programs. Or at least that is what I have read on the matter with burst-less VZ hosts. I've always been a fan of having swap space on disk for this. I'm willing to give up a few hundred megs of storage for peace of mind in that area.

• Just for reference I am looking at top here and out of 512MB ram I have about ~100MB cached. Running ISPConfig with all the fixins and about 18-19% mem usage from ClamAV/amavisd and another 10% for Ubuntu's landscape service (which I don't even use, just never got around to removing). MySQL at 1.8%. Everything else is below 1%. Though with a few web accesses I see another amavis instance at 10% pop up and 2 instances of php-cgi pop up with around 7% usage each, dropping caches usage down to around ~40-50MB.

@Francisco: Yeah, BuyVM is definitely towards the top of my watch/comparison list. Seems my list has drastically reduced with the Private LAN requirement.