Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I need YOUR opinion about verification through SMS - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I need YOUR opinion about verification through SMS

2»

Comments

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

You could combine this with 2FA so that it improves users security at the same time. More users will probably go along with it then plus they will enter a valid number since they will lose access to their account without it.

• NomadNomad Member

@linuxthefish said:
    Where do you live, that sounds horrid!

Turkey, though in the past I lived in Korea for a year as well and it was a similar experience.

I don't think it's that bad. That's a 5-10 year old law actually I don't recall having a need for a disposable number from then till now. Except when I had some mischievous thoughts. (:

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited April 2015

@linuxthefish said:
    Where do you live, that sounds horrid!

Here is Spain there are laws for that as well. No anonymous cell phones.

• Here in Bulgaria we don't have anonymous cell phones either. You can buy a prepaid SIM card but it must be registered with an ID card before it can be used.

• No such law in Austria, buy sim in store with cash (or at some turkish mobile shop, no cams there) and use.

• in the Netherlands you can buy phones and sim cards without ID. the only time I had to show my ID was to start a contract with KPN for 4g mobile internet.

• Online.net's SMS verification message is sent from a HK number... how can it work?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@mortezar said:
    Online.net's SMS verification message is sent from a HK number... how can it work?

Magic?

• rokokrokok Member

Sms for new provider / small business just make it worst. People just want simple as possible when purchasing stuff.

If you big enough and has decent reputation that might acceptable

• @rds100 said:
    Not if the servers are not connected to the internet. But if we are providing an internet connection to the servers, this is almost the same as providing you with a home internet line, don't you think?

Doesn't matter what I think ("no, it's not"), what matters is if there's a law that forces you to or not. Is there?

• @deadbeef in addition to law, there is also common sense. The common sense tells me that we don't want to have anonymous customers that don't want any verification at all. Such customers might bring some money short term, but would be very bad for the busyness long term. We care for the long term much more than we care for the short term.

• @rds100 said:
    deadbeef in addition to law, there is also common sense. The common sense tells me that we don't want to have anonymous customers that don't want any verification at all. Such customers might bring some money short term, but would be very bad for the busyness long term. We care for the long term much more than we care for the short term.

Ah, so we're settled that there's no binding law. Good.

Now, for the common sense part, that's a business decision. You judge that it is a business decision that best fits your company. Awesome, absolutely no complaint there.

Now I suppose you will agree that since on this matter, businesses are free to chose their practices and consumers are free to choose which one they like best, it's a pretty clear thing. You do what you think best for your business and the customer will do what he thinks better for himself. I, as a customer, get pissed off by phone/id/semen verification processes. You, as a business, don't. We're both perfectly correct in our views.

Thanked by 1rds100
  • SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Host Rep

I personally dislike having to do SMS verification, especially when my phone is dead.

I also don't like doing that with startups. Signing up for gmail is an entirely different story.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

Only if the provider is a not small personal company, not a new venture, a registered company with full details about when started, the location, the offices and, preferably, some photos / proofs of the actual location existing.
    For a company like yours with minimum details about it, then, paying details are more than enough (no offence)