Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Teamspeak 3 install issue
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Teamspeak 3 install issue

wrhotonwrhoton Member
edited August 2012 in General

So I installed TS3 and it seems to stop after giving me admin password but it does not give me a token as its suppose to. Ive reinstalled centos and re-tried a few times and same problem every install! Any suggestions? Its simply not giving me a token.

Comments

• O.o

My former wow guild used it free. I guess I didnt even consider needing a license. Is there not a free license for personal use 1 per server up to like 100 slot?

• ZeroZero Member

@Zen The license is not required if I remember correctly.
    @wrhoton Stupid question, but you have enough memory? It seems very strange that TS3 doesn't show you the token.

• Originally I created a vps for myself with 768mb ram then I increased that to 2gb. Im 99% sure we installed it in the past with only 512mb.

So heres what I understand it "should" show

I M P O R T A N T

Server Query Admin Acccount created

loginname= "serveradmin", password= "ostsOuyX"

(HOWEVER, its not showing the 2nd part below)

I M P O R T A N T

ServerAdmin privilege key created, please use it to gain
      serveradmin rights for your virtualserver. please
      also check the doc/privilegekey_guide.txt for details.

token=A3Omx+Yy0mKtNMZ7UOa2cLbkEWyB5fwgwLcT5C+A

• ZeroZero Member
    edited August 2012

@Zen said: I'm pretty sure its needed. Go sign up for a non-for-profit 500 slot and they'll email you with a license attached within a few hours, if not they'll ask you more about your reasoning for request and a simple explanation on what you plan on using it for is all that is needed.

I've installed teamspeak countless times and it kicks me off if I don't have my license in the directory.

That's strange because I've hosted a TS3 server for a friend and I never requested a license and everything was working fine.

@wrhoton Correct. The logs doesn't say anything?

• wrhotonwrhoton Member
    edited August 2012

[#wget teamspeak.gameserver.gamed.de/ts3/releases/3.0.6.1/teamspeak3-server_linux-x86-3.0.6.1.tar.gz
    #tar zxvf teamspeak3-server_linux-x86-3.0.6.1.tar.gz
    #cd teamspeak3-server_linux-x86

./ts3server_startscript.sh start

(I also created a user as to not install as admin)

• TS3 server uses shared memory to make sure that you're only running one server if you're using it without a license. So you need a tmpfs mounted at /dev/shm. Run the following as root: mount -t tmpfs tmpfs /dev/shm

It should work fine after that. Add tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0 to your /etc/fstab file to have it automatically mounted at boot.

• CiriumCirium Member
    edited August 2012

Another idea that might help you is, I've found that if the permissions aren't exactly 777 problems like this occur.

Another thing Ive found is, although the server says not to run it as root, if you don't, it may not work.

I know it's weird, but its just something that I have seen in the past.

Chmod the directory and all files to 777, run as root, and post results.

(Make sure it's a fresh install and has not been run by any other user!)

• Teamspeak 3 will run fine on 128mb (probably even far less) and you don't need a license.

• CiriumCirium Member
    edited August 2012

@gsrdgrdghd is right.

I'm currenty running one on a YDGH vps. Just download, extract, chmod, run as root and pastie results here.

• wrhotonwrhoton Member
    edited August 2012

Maybe thats what im doing wrong is the chmod.. Im a newb when it comes to linux/ssh... Corey handles most of the 'actual' tech side. I handle basic support/customer service/sales/billing/advertising ect...

Here is all I have been running (on a fresh centos install)

[

wget teamspeak.gameserver.gamed.de/ts3/releases/3.0.6.1/teamspeak3-server_linux-x86-3.0.6.1.tar.gz

tar zxvf teamspeak3-server_linux-x86-3.0.6.1.tar.gz

cd teamspeak3-server_linux-x86

./ts3server_startscript.sh start
    ]

So it seems I am missing the chmod step O.o

• There should be a log file in the teamspeak logs directory. What does that say about the issue?

• flyfly Member
    edited August 2012

@Cirium said: I'm currenty running one on a YDGH vps. Just download, extract, chmod, run as root and pastie results here.

dont run as root.

i have some essential telnet commands for teamspeak here:

http://sjc.lt/u

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited August 2012

If it starts i don't think the chmod is set wrong. Have you tried a different distro?

btw many people do the first start with the minimal script: ./ts3server_minimal_runscript.sh createinifile=1

• flyfly Member
    edited August 2012

shouldn't be the distro. I've ran ts3 on centos before. paste the whole shebang here when you try to run the startscript:

http://pastie.org

• using minimal runscript :

2012-08-06 11:12:12.578056|WARNING |Accounting | | Unable to find valid lic ense key, falling back to limited functionality
    2012-08-06 11:12:12.578698|ERROR |Accounting | | failed to register local accounting service
    2012-08-06 11:12:12.578733|ERROR |ServerLibPriv | | Server() error while sta rting servermanager, error: instance check error

• Yeah... do what I said in my first post, it should fix your problem right up.

• I received same error last time and this time when doing what your post said:

[root@twisted teamspeak3-server_linux-x86]# mount -t tmpfs tmpfs /dev/shm
    mount: mount point /dev/shm does not exist
    [root@twisted teamspeak3-server_linux-x86]# cd /
    [root@twisted /]# mount -t tmpfs tmpfs /dev/shm
    mount: mount point /dev/shm does not exist
    [root@twisted /]#

• Create /dev/shm then. mkdir /dev/shm then mount -t tmpfs tmpfs /dev/shm

• flyfly Member

can you ls -l the teamspeak dir and paste it here? Do you have the licensekey.dat file?

• NickM that seems to have done the trick! :)

gsrdgrdghd I also used the minimal as you suggested!

Thanks to everyone here who posted very much appreciated.

• @fly said: Do you have the licensekey.dat file?

You don't need a licensekey.dat file unless you're actually using a license. Without a license, you can have up to 32 people on at a time.

• @wrhoton said: NickM that seems to have done the trick! :)

Great! Don't forget to add it to your fstab so that the tmpfs gets mounted automatically after a reboot.

• I should be able to simply connect now right? It gave me the token but now its still saying error connecting (using teamspeak3 client)

• flyfly Member

are you using the right port? Is that port blocked?

• No ports blocked, using default port 9987

• wrhotonwrhoton Member
    edited August 2012

http://pastie.org/4399288

Trying to connect to 108.166.185.12:9987

• NickMNickM Member
    edited August 2012

Yeah you should be able to connect to the server right away. If you want, you can PM me your server's IP and I can try connecting.

EDIT: From the log you posted, it looks like you exited the server. Use ts3server_startscript.sh instead of the minimal one, and it should fork to the background.

• flyfly Member

try running the script again.
    ./script_name restart

• Thanks for all the help just had to rerun it. (Im a complete novice @ linux) 99% of the time I just ask Corey to walk me through whatever, but I felt like giving it a shot on my own. :-P

Thanks for all the help!

• flyfly Member

yeah, not sure why they make the script hang like that when running it the first time... should have it auto-quit and tell the user to run the script again after grabbing the admin token.