Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My impressions on hubiC
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

My impressions on hubiC

Hello everyone!

I'd like to share with you my first impressions (and I'd like to stress again the word FIRST) that I had by using the cloud/backup service offered by OVH: hubiC. I want to do so in order to know what you people think of it and if you agree with my impressions.

When early this month they reduced the price from 10€ to 5€ for 10TB of online storage (monthly subscription) I simply couldn't resist. I decided to try the service for the first time and I went for the first month (instead of the annual subscription), just to try it out.

Indeed, I needed a cloud/backup service to upload all my data and I figured 10TB would suffice.

Let's start by explaining where I use it: I have two dedi (one with 100Mbps unmetered and one with 500Mbps unmetered). I use on both Ubuntu server x64.

hubiC is used mainly for two purposes: cloud or/and backup. There is subtle but important difference: when you use the cloud you rely on a synchronization of files. You can see the files in all your devices and in the website. When you upload something from a computer, also all the other computer will download and store locally that file.
The backup system is a pure and simple copy (upload) of your file(s)/folder(s) into hubiC. You don't need to synchronize them and by default the backed up files will not be downloaded in other computers sharing the same hubiC account.

Whether you need to simply backup your files or not it's up to you. Many of us here needs large space to save their data (snapshots of OSs, etc.) and the backup is the best and easiest solution.

Let's get now to the first impressions. I've using the service for about 3 days. I've used both the cloud and the backup (though not very much the last one).

Tools I used: hubiCfuse and the official hubiC application for Linux.

hubiCfuse: extremely unreliable. The idea is great: you can mount your cloud space and see it as an external hard drive. This way you don't have to download files locally. Unfortunately, operations (renaming, deleting, moving, etc.) are extremely slow. Copy of files is totally unreliable: I copied 80GB and it ended up "segmenting" 40GB somewhere, while the others 40GB were not even complete. I read online that this is more of an issue with the platform used by hubiC than the application itself.

hubiC for Linux: this certainly works better and in a more stable way. It has lots of commands you can use both for backups and cloud. As of now I only used it for the backup option. Perhaps the only downside I've witnessed is the huge amount of resources that the mono framework needs to make hubiC executing backups.

For now I will not provide benchmarks of speed or anything, it's too soon and I need to know more about it. However, in a week or two I certainly share a more detailed experience.

Conclusions as of now: don't use hubiC for the cloud. It's quite buggy and slow. Files are not always well uploaded and you'll get errors many times. If you however need a huge online backup space then perhaps hubiC is what you are searching for.

Please share your experience :)

Thank you!

Thanked by 1marrco

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2015

Issam2204 said: Unfortunately, operations (renaming, deleting, moving, etc.) are extremely slow

Renaming and moving are basically the same, and both of these will cause a complete reupload of the renamed or moved files. Just do not rename or move anything. Deletions should be reasonably fast (okay, maybe 1-2 seconds per file, but then again, do not store and/or delete thousands of small files at a time).

Copy of files is totally unreliable: I copied 80GB and it ended up "segmenting" 40GB somewhere, while the others 40GB were not even complete.

80GB in one file? It does not support files larger than 5GB without segmenting, and segmenting in the current hubicfuse does not work properly.

Thanked by 2Issam2204 alexvolk
  • Thank you rm_! With these extra info I know more about hubiCfuse. Do you use the official tool to do backups? What are your impressions? Is it reliable?

• BochiBochi Member

Using hubiC (annual subscription) for backup purposes in combination with duply/duplicity and it works great!
    Currently using about 300GB and maxing out the network port on my Kimsufi most of the time and seeing about 300-500Mbit/s from DO. Many people complain about the speeds but at least in my experience it was just one or two times slow...

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • My interest was also for backup purposes. When I upload a file it takes forever, and not because the line is slow, but because in the status it keeps telling me "The backup X is created. The files will be sent now.". In your experience how much do you have to wait for it to actually backup files? In this case I'm uploading a file of 10GB.

• BochiBochi Member

@Issam2204 said:
    In your experience how much do you have to wait for it to actually backup files? In this case I'm uploading a file of 10GB.

Not sure, are you talking about the linux client provided by hubiC itself? Can't give you any numbers on this, sorry.
    The given numbers result from my duplicity setup with chunksizes between 50 and 500MB.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

My Ticket for a lost Payment, is pending since 9 Days. pretty neat support there. Useless bullshit.

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • @Bochi said:
    The given numbers result from my duplicity setup with chunksizes between 50 and 500MB.

Yes, I'm talking about the linux client. But you got me interested on this duplicity. I'll check more info on it :) Thanks!

@Infinity580
    I'm sorry to hear that. Fortunately my payment went through smoothly.

• BochiBochi Member

@Issam2204 said:
    But you got me interested on this duplicity. I'll check more info on it :)

I am using a setup with duply as wrapper for duplicity over hubic2swiftgate (https://github.com/oderwat/hubic2swiftgate), but the latest version of duplicity should come with (direct) hubic support anyway.
    Let me know if you need to know anything else. ;)

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • @Bochi

Thanks! But too much technical terms there hahaha

So what should I use? hubic2swiftgate or duplicity? :)

• BochiBochi Member
    edited April 2015

Oh, you then need to read about the whole thing a bit more first. ;)
    hubic2swiftgate is just to circumvent the authentication mechanism hubiC implements instead of the one OpenStacks Swift normally has, but they (duplicity) already implemented direct hubiC support through pyrax as far as I know

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • I'll certainly read more about it. Thank you Bochi!

• I installed duplicity and I must say that it rocks! It's fast, secure, solid and very powerful. But my needs are a bit different. I would like to backup my files as they are, I would prefer to avoid to compress them and segment them in tar.

My question is: is it possible as of now to upload a folder with lots of files (< 10k) to hubiC via command line and keep files as they are? Something that doesn't do segmentation or hangs like the official app.

Perhaps it's just me that I'm not capable of using correctly the official application. :(

• BochiBochi Member
    edited April 2015

As for the encryption and compression part you can disable this features in duplicity via command line params, but don't see such an option for packing.
    But why don't you just set the folder you want so upload as your folder for synchronization in the hubic command line application?

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • Thanks Bochi!

I prefer to avoid synchronization because when I'll delete the files from that folder they will be deleted also from the cloud. :(

• Issam2204Issam2204 Member
    edited April 2015

For example, right now I'm using the official tool to synchronize a folder where I put a DVD of Debian. Also I'm downloading a 512Mb backup I did yesterday with Duplicity:

`issam@testing:~$ hubic status
    State: Busy
    Up: 102.4 KB/s (0 B/s) Down: 96 KB/s (0 B/s)

Account: X
    Synchronized directory: /home/issam/hubiC/
    Usage: 970.29 MB/10 TB

Queue:
    Uploads: 0 (0 B) + 1 running
    Downloads: 17 (425.6 MB) + 3 running
    Misc: 0 + 0 running

Running operations:
    Upload for /home/issam/hubiC/Testing/debian-7.8.0-i386-DVD-1.iso (48.47 MB/3.72 GB)
    Download for /home/issam/hubiC/duplicity-full.20150417T224645Z.vol1.difftar.gpg (12.84 MB/25.05 MB)
    Download for /home/issam/hubiC/duplicity-full.20150417T224645Z.vol12.difftar.gpg (18.72 MB/25.03 MB)
    Download for /home/issam/hubiC/duplicity-full.20150417T224645Z.vol2.difftar.gpg (1 MB/25.03 MB)

Last events:
    [4/18/2015 6:02:10 AM|Info] Click on this icon to access your hubiC.
    `

As you can see (in bold) hubiC is very slow :(

• NomadNomad Member

With hubicfuse, from Online.net I was uploading with around 30MB, Hubic is not that slow actually, but the official client sucks.

I don't know about Duplicity though.

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • @Issam2204 said:
    My interest was also for backup purposes. When I upload a file it takes forever, and not because the line is slow, but because in the status it keeps telling me "The backup X is created. The files will be sent now.". In your experience how much do you have to wait for it to actually backup files? In this case I'm uploading a file of 10GB.

for 7GB, around 90 minutes, sometime more fast.

i'm using this script for Busy status issue: http://pastebin.com/vyqsTRch

my last night (GMT+7) network traffic from backup server (RA 2G Sandbox)

enjoy..

Thanked by 2Issam2204 ehab
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited April 2015

Little Update, thats what i got today. A bit weired, sales on weekends but okay.

Bonjour,

Nous venons de finaliser votre avoir ********** relatif à votre facture ********** Son montant est de -4.96 EUR.

Vous recevrez séparément le remboursement de cette somme.

Le PDF de l'avoir ********** est consultable sur

Sachez que vous pouvez aussi retrouver l'ensemble de votre facturation dans votre espace hubiC,
    à l'adresse suivante:
    https://hubic.com/home

L'équipe hubiC

Seems like a Refund, they just needed 17 Days for that. Lets see if it comes back to my CC on Monday/Tuesday.

Thanked by 2Issam2204 GM2015
  • Glad to hear Infinity580 :)

• @dgprasetya

Thanks for your answer. What you are saying is that it's normal that it takes a lot fo time to backup? Or are you trying to show me that hubiC is not slow? I'm a bit confuse :)

• hubicfuse been working ok, but like others have said its quirky most of the time. My only working "trick" if u want to call it that, is cp file one at a time.

anything other than that it freezes or uploads a incomplete file. Ive managed 900gb like that.

Fxp the file from the same server as the mount seems to work aswell.

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • This is quite frustrating for me. Especially because I would like to upload files that are bigger than 4 GB. I understand that everyone has different needs, so hubiC could be perfect for someone and absolutely useless for someone else. However, what astonishes me is: how is it possible that there is not a piece of software that:

1) would allow backup/upload of files/folders to hubiC

2) is not capped by file size

3) doesn't segment files

4) doesn't compress files (just leave them as they are).

5) doesn't use huge CPU resources like the official app (because of the mono framework) or duplicity (because of compression and segmentation).

I know I'm not asking something easy, but as of now I didn't find something perfectly suitable for my usage :( It's quite a shame because I really needed this backup space.

• @Issam2204 said:
    dgprasetya

Thanks for your answer. What you are saying is that it's normal that it takes a lot fo time to backup? Or are you trying to show me that hubiC is not slow? I'm a bit confuse :)

i think that is normal, not slow. for 10GB sometimes less than 60 minutes.

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • But how come? Isn't the backup with the official tool a simple copy (upload) of the files to your hubiC account? As far as I know there is no compression or encryption. Why does it take so much time to upload then?

• Strangely, today (using the official application) the upload (backup) it's not that "slow": around 2 Mbyte/s.

• Using hubicfuse it's fast, just tested it right now from a DO droplet in the new Frankfurt 1 zoneon a debian 7:

root@hf3:~# dd bs=1M count=1024 if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/hubic/default/Documents/test2
    1024+0 records in
    1024+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 116.445 s, 9.2 MB/s

so i guess i'll be using it for backups too.

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • hubiCfuse is the fastest among all the solutions you can find online. I guess my real problem was with hubiC and its limit of 5 GB per file. I don't like this thing of segmenting files. It has already messed up with my space by taking 400MB that I can't find anywhere.

• marrcomarrco Member
    edited April 2015

@Issam2204 they removed that limit a few months ago. Just use hubicfuse and it won't take 400mb space.

• https://github.com/TurboGit/hubicfuse/issues/54

It looks like segmenting is the issue here. I know nothing about cloud, but is segmenting something that all clouds do? Or is it something inherent to the client (web browser/app) used?

Because with Google Drive I can upload files up to 5TB from the web browser, that's crazy! While hubiC is restricted to 1GB.

• Have you ever uploaded 5tb from a browser without it crashing?