Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So, you can not run firewall cause of virtualization ? Seriously?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

So, you can not run firewall cause of virtualization ? Seriously?

TazTaz Member
edited August 2012 in General

This vps is from a reputable VPS provider around here, I won't name em though.
I was working for a client this morning, and while installing CSF, I faced couple of error (OVZ so the node is missing required modules), so I asked the client to open a ticket and ask them if they can enable those.

This is there reply

"Unfortunately due the virtualization layer it is not possible to run firewall inside your virtual server. If you want to use some firewall rules please send them to us in "iptables" format and we will implement then in the main firewall for you immediately."

Seriously?

Comments

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited August 2012

I'm going to guess this is Edis, and no you can't use IPTables with linux-vserver. Do your research before you buy a VPS.

• TazTaz Member

This is openVz not vserver. and no not Edis.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

vserver does not support iptables, but I think they had some kind of interface page for firewall rules in their control panel?

• TazTaz Member

BUT THIS IS NOT VSERVER!

• @NinjaHawk said: This is openVz not vserver. and no not Edis.

Oh ok my bad. With OpenVZ i don't think there is a reason IPTables shouldn't work.

• TazTaz Member

I am sad and tired.I will probably migrate her to one of my nodes for better control. It sucks TBH.

• TazTaz Member

Don't want to, besides that small issue, they have been great. specially with 10 minute reply on sunday is great. Everyone has their learning curve :).

May be they will see this and quietly fix it :)

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

No need to wait for them to quietly fix it, you can ask them to fix it, even point them at a tutorial or a bunch of ssh lines. Like you said, everyone has their learning curve :P

• TazTaz Member

A link to wiki and howtoforge on its way.

• TazTaz Member

Reputable= accepted by LEB (Not LET) users, No negative feedback online and been in business for more than 1 or 2 years.

• This isn't us, is it? We have some new support people that we're training up on things.

• TazTaz Member

No damian. You can sleep tight :)

• If it is about CSF bitching about xt_connlimit - this is usually normal and not really the host's fault.

• TazTaz Member

When CSF fails to install and lfd fails, it is not the normal bitching.

• Well you do sell OVZ VPS, so you 'should' know about it.

Thanked by 3Amfy yomero Jeffrey
  • TazTaz Member
    edited August 2012

@Spencer not sure if you are trolling or you forgot to read.

• What chokes on venets. It's late and I can't remember. Maybe that?

• TazTaz Member
    edited August 2012

Yes I know that and that was the request my client made via his support ticket.
    I think I have mentioned that during my initial post?

• I had a host (probably the same host) say that I need to get a Xen VPS because they will not enable certain iptable modules.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Firewalls are for the weak. Get a comfortable chair, put your logs on one half of the screen and netstat on the other half. Live life on the edge.

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie
  • HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited August 2012

@jarland said: Get a comfortable chair, put your logs on one half of the screen and netstat on the other half. Live life on the edge.

Like a badass. You're such a rebel.

Thanked by 1jar
  • TazTaz Member
    edited August 2012

@jarland Someone or Something reminds of this guy