Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No good offers from the Top VPS providers for a long time
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

No good offers from the Top VPS providers for a long time

B1g4B1g4 Member

I haven't seen any offers from the top VPS providers like Ramnode, VPSDime, Prometeus etc. lately.
When's the next Top Provider poll results, as these offers seem to come only on the Top Providers result?

Comments

• LeeLee Veteran

Ramnode have had offers recently. I don't think VPSDime advertise here any more due to the DDoS attacks they got. I have seen some offers around for Prometeus outside of here as well (xenpower) but I think they only offer when they have an excess of something.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2015

Lee said: they only offer when they have an excess of something.

In excess, well, not exactly, we only getservers for what is in demand, namely iwstack and xenpower lately. The rest are also in demand, but what people mostly want is this.

We get people asking for stock every day and this is how we gauge the need so we bought more xenpower servers, they will have HVM too, the plan is to launch an IWStack zone with local storage and managed only from our custom panel integrated in whmcs, some kind of poor man's cloud, like DO or vultr are offering, without HA and all the fancy stuff like load balancing, virtual routers and stuff, but still with own iso, snapshots, templates and other features not many people have, or not in this combination. Even more, Salvatore is adamant he will create an OVZ "cloud" with proxmox and also managed through whmcs add-ns he is writing as a hobby.
    We listened to complaints about the same old offers with solus and we are taking small steps to listen to popular demand, HOWEVER:

1. At this time, Prometeus/Iperweb has too many small customers which begin to weight heavy on support and "policing" side. While the security situation has improved dramatically lately due to our increasing ability to select our customers and the rate of abuse and the tickets per customer went down, the number of customers went up, and when we had issues, sending 6000+ emails took hours, even runtime for scripts to calculate billing once a day in IWStack runs into hours, we decided to stop expanding horizontally and increase customer base, at least slow it down a bit;
    2. We intend to remain a small provider but we do take some steps to increase manpower and get someone in the western hemisphere onboard. That does not mean stock will be created overnight or servers added to anything but to the most in demand products;
    3. We even got new products to the market, like, because many people had serious issues with running hosting from a VPS and were not really able to keep ahead of hacking and malware, we launched Biz Shared hosting with cloudlinux, cPanel and dedicated resources (IP, RAM, CPU share), but we did not advertise it, for the same reason, we got it for our customers needs, we mostly listen to them, the loyal people which were with us through downtime and DDoS, which beared our mistakes in the beginning when we had no idea how tough this market is, our customers tell their friends, and their friends tell their friends, so, there wasnt a need to advertise it;
    4. Our customers know that we reduced prices to some products, including OVZ, now, 384 MB plans are 12 Eur a year, all XenPower yearlies have dropped in price, keeping in line with our tradition, MORE for the existing customers in good standing, they got a special deal ON TOP of any discounts they already had with absolutely no strings attached, they do not have to renew now, buy anything else or anything of the sorts.

Yeah, we do not advertise here, but this does not mean we do not have offers, new products, etc. Since most people here are also our customers and many put up the emails they got, there isnt a need for it, really. Just pay attention or subscribe to our whmcs (and, BTW, if you do, you can also use the integrated anycast DNS network feature, absolutely free without the need to purchase anything) and you will get to know the latest news. It is not a secret, of course, but we found out that all the whistles and bells tend to attract the wrong crowd, while the word of mouth mostly bring friends of our current users and, since they are nice people mostly, so must be their friends.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited April 2015

Maounique said: Yeah, we do not advertise here

...And when we get an update about a new offer from Prometeus, alsways one of us drop in LET some details about the offer, so, it get public one way or another :-)

Thanked by 2Maounique B1g4
  • but vpsdime not offered anything recently..

• No real reason for a top provider to continue posting crazy deals. They already have pretty much all of LET as customers, and their prices are pretty reasonable to begin with. If you want service from a top provider, be prepared to pay a little extra for it.

Thanked by 1Pwner
  • Maounique said: including OVZ, now, 384 MB plans are 12 Eur a year

That sounds great, but judging from the price it's Dallas-only, Milan would come in handy though. Also I couldn't find the deal anywhere.

edited April 2015

salakis said: That sounds great, but judging from the price it's Dallas-only, Milan would come in handy though. Also I couldn't find the deal anywhere.

That is the point, we are reducing prices for existing customers and legacy deals, not cutting prices to get new customers onboard, the exact opposite all the rest are doing, but, any existing customer can request any plan we had and we will try to deliver (so far at least 95% success rate, there are some plans we removed completely or converted due to server failure and too costly to invest in another).

If you are an existing customer in good standing, just open a ticket and we will gladly place an order for you!

Prometeus is really different, this is not just a marketing gimmick. It also makes business sense, why force customers to move or open tickets when prices elsewhere dropped and try instead to undercut others to get new customers which we do not know how good will be? Less work for everyone, we keep our customers happy, they dont have to move, we dont have to work hard to attract others, if we were doing like everyone else, easy to get in, hard to get out, we would end up working more for the same number of customers, possibly at even lower prices and definitely with more bad apples between them. It is totally illogical, if you think it out of the box, sales are not everything, customer retention is. Happy customers breed other customers themselves, we dont even have to advertise anything. Besides, the quality of new customers is much better this way and they have someone to hold their hand, less tickets and hacking to handle on our side, makes me wonder why other people proceed differently.

Thanked by 1salakis
  • @B1g4 said:
    I haven't seen any offers from the top VPS providers like Ramnode, VPSDime, Prometeus etc. lately.
    When's the next Top Provider poll results, as these offers seem to come only on the Top Providers result?

With all due respect, most of the top providers are already selling at dirt cheap prices, quit your complaining.

• SnapeSnape Member

At least they're still around, and seem active. FAPVPS has essentially deadpooled, and a lot of excellent hosts featured on LEB back in 211-2012 haven't been heard from here in years. Edis was last on LEB in 2013, though I think they had an offer or two on LET in 2014. The same's true of SecureDragon. Hostigation was last on LEB in 2012, though Tim was active on LET after that.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I think a lot of it is due to all the <1 year wonders we see coming along with prices so low that it destroys expectations and is below what a lot of the hosts that have been in it for the long haul are prepared to sustain.

Once 5 or 6 of said wonders come along with their pocket money 4GB for $4 offers the community seems to think that is sustainable and normal, the net result being the hosts worth using simply stop selling on LET/B.

Perhaps I am wrong but with all the abuse and attacks over the last year that are directly attributed to having a commercial presence here it gets a bit tiresome having kids trying to take the food off your table.

You also have to keep in mind the amount of really cheap dedi's people can get these days, sometimes a VPS does not make sense any more.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

AnthonySmith said: You also have to keep in mind the amount of really cheap dedi's people can get these days, sometimes a VPS does not make sense any more.

This. I really only have VPS with LES these days, because I've migrated so much stuff to cheap Dedis, it takes a real special use-case to need a new VPS.

• @AnthonySmith

You also have to keep in mind the amount of really cheap dedi's people can get these days

I think thats what went wrong with the industry these last few years. Dedi servers..E3's for $49 and 5520's for $25/month should never be sold that cheap. It's honestly just killing the market, for everybody else and themselves.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@OnraHost I felt the same about the 2 - 8 GB OpenVZ offers for $7 a few years ago, but this is an aggressive community when it comes to price, little consideration is given to the individual business and price is king.

The general theory seems to be if OVH can sell a dedi at xyz price why cant everyone else and anyone that cant is a bad host, now there are €2.99 dedi's there is very little hope left for the VPS market long term unless you have some sort of gimmick or unique feature otherwise the considerations are price, then price followed by price.

I appreciate there are some more discerning people out there but they are the minority, look at how absolutely shit GVH were, but they sold silly packages at insane prices and they gained a hell of a lot of clients, BlueVM is a ghost ship that stopped actually responding to customers about a year ago... price is king, CVPS was involved in every scandal in this place, at one point filled up almost the entire first page with complaint threads... but still gained bulk customers with the lowball prices, VolumeDrive are the same.

The majority rules here and the majority wants silly prices, the top hosts are going elsewhere to find a more discerning customer base, one of the reasons I started LES/LHC was to keep my hand in on the super budget side, I do enjoy it but I call a spade a spade :)

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2015

Snape said: The same's true of SecureDragon.

Back in the day it was much different. Now the only reason to post ads on LEB/LET is to test your DDOS mitigation or fraud screening process. To give you an idea, I posted an April Fool's ad on here for April 1st of this year and I'm glad I put the joke website behind DDOS protection because it got hit almost immediately (albeit small attacks).

If I thought it would help my company by posting ads here I would, but in all honesty whenever I post ads here I lose money either through chargebacks or time lost dealing with abuse and ignorance.

• @KuJoe said:
    If I thought it would help my company by posting ads here I would, but in all honesty whenever I post ads here I lose money either through chargebacks or time lost dealing with abuse and ignorance.

Agreed. Going to start doing manual provisions only for all let related offers. There's just way too much fraud

• lazytlazyt Member

Yep waaayyy too many kiddie hosts and skiddies here.

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited April 2015

Maounique said: Yeah, we do not advertise here, but this does not mean we do not have offers, new products, etc.

A little offtopic. But I think you should reflect these changes in your pricing pages (iwstack particularly). Also, I can't find that OpenVZs hehe =P And the Dallas VPS page is a little bit weird...

• KuJoe said: If I thought it would help my company by posting ads here I would, but in all honesty whenever I post ads here I lose money either through chargebacks or time lost dealing with abuse and ignorance.

Heard this echoed by many other folks and those who don't advertise on here when asked about it

• @OnraHost E3's for $49 and 5520's for $25/month should never be sold that cheap.

Not to forget E3's sold for 19.99 by reputable provider like online.net.I wonder if these prices will be worth keeping the server,next year to come !

• Honestly I think we're at the point where physical hardware, power and bandwidth is "cheaper" than a VPS. I predicted this about 2 years ago. About a 12-18 months ago, I decided to stop using VPS servers from "known providers" after I noticed the hardware trend. At the time, rent-to-own was all the rage with Dacentec coming out and others following.

Now look - the L5520 years ago is going for monthly prices of what L5420s used to go for. I remember when I grabbed my first L5420 thinking about how good of a deal it was and now I'm grabbing L5520s like crazy.

There will always be a market for unmanaged VPS but the competitiveness will kill off companies unable to compete and the winners will be the organized companies who plan ahead, not a summer / kiddiehost or "my first VPS biz". "LEB" pricing providers should look at managing services for their customers because there is still a demand for managed services where somebody may not feel 100% comfortable managing a service and want an "insurance policy" in case something is beyond their ability. That's why some providers are selling 1-2GB RAM and under 100GB disk space VPS servers for $40-50/mo when most of you laugh saying thats only "worth" $5-7/mo.

edited April 2015

yomero said: A little offtopic. But I think you should reflect these changes in your pricing pages (iwstack particularly). Also, I can't find that OpenVZs hehe =P And the Dallas VPS page is a little bit weird...

IWStack prices have not changed unless you mean the big instances where changes already committed to the price calculator, there we go for quality raising instead of price lowering. The places where we lower prices are already good quality and improving it would not make sense cost-wise.
    That ovz is no longer in offer, but all old customers in good standing can ask for it., as noted before.

doughmanes said: Honestly I think we're at the point where physical hardware, power and bandwidth is "cheaper" than a VPS.

Not at all. Sure, if you are a sysadmin, anything is cheaper than a commercially offered VPS, regular fox still buy shared hosting we thought it will be almost dead 2 years ago, so we are "forced" to answer our customers and relaunch it (of course, much improved).
    More and more people need hosting, lastly a lot of those looking for privacy end encrypted communications are trying to get a VPS and the knowledge needed to manage it, there will be more and more mobile apps for this and if you are really savvy, you know you cannot trust a third party server, better to have your own VPS which will forward fully encrypted packets. There are also people which need those for other things, also mobile related, such as own cloud and whatnot.
    Managing a dedi is not for everyone, dont look in this forum, it is not representative for the mass of customers out there. Even VPSes are difficult for many, look at the hacking rate.

Yeah, managed services have a good market and growing, I predicted this long ago when I joined prometeus, wanted to do that, however, the demand for our unmanaged services was so big, that we opted for volume unmanaged instead.