Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH threatens to leave France if proposed surveilance bill passes - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH threatens to leave France if proposed surveilance bill passes

2»

Comments

• kuzkokuzko Member
    edited April 2015

The law has been adopted in the late evening in France (i'm french) and will pass with it's full blackbox/terrorism bullshit, so by bouncing between laws, as of it's official journal publication (should be today or in the close future) any administrative entity can get pretty much any info they want on any data if the data goes through/is stored in/belongs to an entity linked to france.

The french intelligence is impacted too allowing them, if not forbidden by a small council, to proceed to any taping they judge necessary.
    Oh and did I tell you they asked to place blackboxes in major infrastructure analysing traffic/pattern that would match terrorism activities (feels of DPI)? this is why OVH did not want this to pass...

Ladies and gentleman, welcome the new french patriot act like law.

• SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Host Rep

I think that ovh would honestly consider such a move. However, I dont think OVH will act if it gets passed. They have a really good thing going on... it would cause to much chaos to move all those servers out. Worst thing that happens is they lose a bit of income from people who cancel. Just my predication :)

They'll do whatever makes them more money most likely. The cost of the bill is not big enough to cause them to move all those servers. I'm interested to see what happens :)

• frankfrank Member
    edited April 2015

They are not going to get rid of their existing DC's that would be silly.

What this bill will probably force though is that there will be no further DC's built or existing ones expanded as the market for French hosting is going to be dented, and they possibly will have to lower prices even further to make them attractive i.e further undercut the Amsterdam/German low cost providers. As to any further investment OVH does guess they build a DC in a neighbouring territory e.g. Amsterdam (or Possibly London) as a result of this.

This could well kill off a few of the smaller companies though, as they possibly dont have the resources to build a DC away from France. Online.net though are screwed given their parent company situation, guess we may have even sillier offers from them in the future.

• I think this is just their way to say "give us even more subsidies, or else...". It seems the French have reinvented the communism.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2015

rds100 said: It seems the French have reinvented the communism.

They had a big hand in the inventing of communism 1.0 also.
    Nah, they wont move, but it is likely will go east a bit with new projects, perhaps even romania, many people speak french here and so far the censorship laws are pretty liberal, not even the mandatory EU data retention is in place yet, still stuck and struck down in the constitutional court.
    Power is cheap, land almost free, so, if they dont come will be missing a serious opportunity.
    However, the russian threat is very present here, so, maybe not until after the war if there will be anything left.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited April 2015

Maounique said: not even the mandatory EU data retention

This was overruled by the EU court by the way. http://www.loc.gov/law/help/eu-data-retention-directive/eu.php

edited April 2015

Yeah, but each time it was put into law, it was struck down at the CC level even when was not yet reversed at EU court, so, it as only briefly into place. The government vowed to sneak it past the court somehow, when the american envoy was here, one judge has been forced to resign for "corruption" and the majority for freedom may be threatened if 2 more are replaced. or "convinced" to do the "right thing" for god and "the greater good" and ignore constitution, human rights and democracy

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

Maybe OVH will start a DC in belgium since they already speak french in the wollonian part of belgium. Tho Belgium does have some issues with electricity a few months ago.

vfuse said: Tho Belgium does have some issues with electricity a few months ago.

NL also had, so many other countries, that is why datacenters have redundant and inhouse generation.

• Tho Belgium does have some issues with electricity a few months ago.

If you call that "issues" you have never seen a DC in India or Africa - Weekly (if not daily) genset starts and monthly replacement of UPS batteries are the norm there...

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

@Maounique said:

Not like Belgium, they actually had an electricity forecast after the weather.

• Maounique said: perhaps even romania,

Wishful thinking.

There's multiple countries between France and Romania with a heightened French-speaking population. Luxembourg, Belgium, Switzerland... hell, maybe they can move to Monaco.

• creepcreep Member

@wojons said:
    its sad that the people of france have not learned from the mistakes that american's made. We got hit with a terroirst attack yes people died but removing our freedoms is really just letting the terriorst win.

uhm what? does america really got attacked by terrorists ?

• @olesovhcom just tweeted that there have been some last minute changes to the law adopted yesterday. No more "economic impact on our industry", he says.

That should allow them to stay in France ;-)

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited April 2015

@dynweb said:
    olesovhcom just tweeted that there have been some last minute changes to the law adopted yesterday. No more "economic impact on our industry", he says.

That should allow them to stay in France ;-)

He should rename himself from "Octave Klaba" to "Octave Blabla"...

Thanked by 1JahAGR
  • @Amitz said:
    He should rename himself from "Octave Klaba" to "Octava Blabla"...

I'd be interested in what these supposed last-minute changes are.

Anyway, does anybody know an alternative to their VPS offering outside France which includes IPv6 and DDoS-protection for just €2/month?

• @mpkossen said:
    Anyway, does anybody know an alternative to their VPS offering outside France which includes IPv6 and DDoS-protection for just €2/month?

UK @ £2.50 = https://zare.co.uk/cloud

• No IPv6, unless I tunnel it, and more expensive. Still a great deal, though.

• @mpkossen said:
    No IPv6, unless I tunnel it, and more expensive. Still a great deal, though.

Odd thing is they have private IPv6, can't be hard to route a /64 or an /80 can it?

• IDK, they said it would be coming eventually but isn't available yet.

• @mpkossen said:

Damn, need it myself too -.-

edited April 2015

At the end of the day, we still have encryption, just dont store anything unencrypted there, nor communicate over cleanternet, and you should be fine. I think encryption will als obe outlawed soon, there are lots of noises from the secret services along these lines, and since they control key figures in government and legislature, it will pass sooner or later. The public just needs time to swallow the idea they have to give up their rights if they want the government to be secure.

• I doubt "they"'d make encryption illegal, they just want access themselves. Of course, one way of access would likely result in a more broader vulnerability.

• ricardo said: I doubt "they"'d make encryption illegal, they just want access themselves. Of course, one way of access would likely result in a more broader vulnerability.

Well, technically, in the US, export of munitions is restricted, and 'strong encryption' is classified as a munition.

• @vfuse said:
    Not like Belgium, they actually had an electricity forecast after the weather.

It was actually fun to see those... Never had a powercut :p

• TheLonelyTheLonely Member
    edited April 2015

(double post)