Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyVM website blocked by Norton DNS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyVM website blocked by Norton DNS?

gianggiang Veteran
edited August 2012 in General

I've visited BuyVM website today and here is what my brower (using NortonDNS) said:
http://i.imgur.com/1MXtK.jpg

Detail report: http://safeweb.norton.com/report/show?url=buyvm.net

Is that a false report? @francisco

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Well that's odd?

Did you get a proper link? It's quite possible it's on a users subdomain on addons01.

Francisco

• gianggiang Veteran

No, I just access BuyVM and it said that :D It seems you have to contact Norton about this issue, I'm posting to see if anyone else got this issue or just me :D

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I thought ppl dont use Norton anymore :(.
    M

Thanked by 1Randy
  • HC_RoHC_Ro Member
    edited August 2012

hmm, norton does show it "Domain blacklisted by Norton Safe Web: buyvm.net"

Some sort of false positive or something.

http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=buyvm.net says its fine and a few others

• gianggiang Veteran

@Maounique said: I thought ppl dont use Norton anymore :(.

M

I heard that Norton Antivirus is very good now :D The service I'm using is NortonDNS.com :D (My country blocked Facebook and Blogger by DNS, they even blocked Google DNS, OpenDNS..., so there is only Norton DNS that works!)

@HC_Ro said: hmm, norton does show it "Domain blacklisted by Norton Safe Web: buyvm.net"

Some sort of false positive or something.

http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=buyvm.net says its fine and a few others

AS53667 (PONYNET) :O I thought it was Frantech? :D

PONYNET is part of the on going jokes :P

I've already submitted a re-evaluation request as there was nothing a miss with the site code, it's just such a simple site!

I'm wondering if maybe they caught a domain from addons01 and just grouped it together?

Francisco

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie
  • gianggiang Veteran

@Francisco said: PONYNET is part of the on going jokes :P

PONYNET is farrrrrr better =)

@giang said: PONYNET is farrrrrr better =)

It's also possible php-fcgi crashed and it tried to serve the actual PHP file as a download? Who knows, I guess I'll know soon enough :)

I think we still own ponynet.net

Francisco

• how about ponynet.org?

how about prancingponies.com?

@giang said: I heard that Norton Antivirus is very good now

I still remove it constantly from laptops with OEM, if it was that good they wouldnt make it so that you have to pass through a few confirmations where they show how good it is when you remove.
    It is also bloated, tho i must admit it is same footprint as it had some 5 years ago so it starts to look good :)
    I think I will let it on next time i meet it and see the user experience.
    M

• Norton is complete trash and so is McAfee. Just stick with Microsoft Security Essentials. :)

• All the stuff is sold out anyways :P

• edited August 2012

@Jeffrey said: Microsoft Security Essentials.

I don't think Microsoft offers their own public DNS, Jeffrey. I must agree, for a lightweight protection app, MS Security seems to work well. (I do not use Windows much however).

It's too bad he can't use Google's or OpenDNS :(

I use my ISP's primary, then OpenDNS or Google secondary for home connection.

• lawllawl Member

Why not setup a DNS resolver yourself? I use pdns-recursor.
    Random googled tutorial: http://www.thatfleminggent.com/2009/08/09/getting-a-powerdns-recursor-up-and-going-fast

@EricCubixCloud said: I must agree, for a lightweight protection app, MS Security seems to work well.

Yes, it does not add all kinds of annoying pop-ups, doesnt ask every file if to allow or not, you dont really know it is there.
    For free protection which is also lightweight, next on my list is avira. Only for home users, but better than SE. It also has pop-ups once day but can live with that.
    M

• because norton is a paid product and they dont like LOW END Boxes as they are losing business, users would rather buy low end boxes

• @Randy said: because norton is a paid product and they dont like LOW END Boxes as they are losing business, users would rather buy low end boxes

Makes no sense.

He means norton doesnt like almost free stuff, as such they block low end box providers :)
    M

Thanked by 2Randy Taylor
  • Norton sucks as far as I recall, firstly, was bloated, secondly, was laggy, it's becamebetter but every fucking sales assistant for laptop throws the 360 package at you. It's stupid.

Rather just use my Kaspersky 3-User license completely free from my bank :']!

• Avast > all

• Funny stuff :)

• I think antivirus is in general a huge waste of resources and money. People don't get infected by random browsing anyway, just by stupidly opening email attachments, or of course warez. But keeping one running in the background is just stupid, stuff doesn't randomly appear.

I think you are wrong. There are drive-by infections, and cracked os-es are not always patched.
    For me and you, it is a waste, but for the average joe, it may help in some situations, even tho there are clear basket cases and i know tons of those.
    M

• NexusNexus Member
    edited August 2012

@Maounique Chrome and the latest browsers are pretty damn secure. Drive by infections only work if you the end-user actually opens up the .exe without knowing what it is. If they get a virus like that, they deserve it for not being computer literate. Only time when a virus program should be installed is if the end-user feels "Threatened" or non-tech savvy, which again is pretty damn sad. I have never used any virus program for the past 5years almost, and never got a virus because I don't open stupid shit. I know there is bugs in the old versions of IE and other browsers where there was a drive-by-exploit in those versions. But It's been patched for a long time....

My point I am trying to make is, virus programs are a piece of shit.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

You Can also get infected via pdf files or flash or other ways. It's no longer only exe files that infects Windows machines.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Nexus said: Drive by infections only work if you the end-user actually opens up the .exe without knowing what it is.

Eh, I think you should look up the definition of 'drive-by infection' since what you just described doesn't come anywhere near. The whole point of a drive-by infection is that you don't need to 'open a .exe'.

@Nexus said: If they get a virus like that, they deserve it for not being computer literate.

Hi elitist person.

@Nexus said: Only time when a virus program should be installed is if the end-user feels "Threatened" or non-tech savvy, which again is pretty damn sad.

Uh, no. A proper anti-virus application also protects against drive-by infections, seemingly trustable but-still-infected files, infected non-executable files, various nasty stuff (Last Measure etc), and so on. You should probably look into what you're talking about before opening your mouth.

@Nexus said: I have never used any virus program for the past 5years almost, and never got a virus because I don't open stupid shit.

So you do manual daily scans of your network traffic, running processes, file modification dates, etc., to verify that you indeed do not have a virus? Or are you just assuming that you 'never got a virus' because you never noticed one - which would be logical, since malware nowadays tries to hide and you have no anti-virus application to warn you?

@Nexus said: I know there is bugs in the old versions of IE and other browsers where there was a drive-by-exploit in those versions. But It's been patched for a long time....

Bullshit. Drive-by vulnerabilities appear on a daily basis.

@Nexus said: My point I am trying to make is, virus programs are a piece of shit.

Oh please, stop being an elitist idiot here that feels too good to install security software, and making people more vulnerable in the process. Anti-virus applications are not the end-all-be-all, but the "I'm too good for that" attitude that you are taking is completely retarded and is the exact reason that people like you get infected with all kinds of invisible crap still. We really don't need to hear that you are so 'computer literate' that you don't need AV software. Go brag elsewhere.

• +1 Joepie91

• TazTaz Member

I do not use anti virus softwares cause I never attach any external drive/disk and I don't use internet. That should be the only reason why some one shouldn't need anti virus software's

• @NinjaHawk said: I do not use anti virus softwares cause I never attach any external drive/disk and I don't use internet. That should be the only reason why some one shouldn't need anti virus software's

I can think of one more :)

• you dont need to any anti virus, just surf smart :)