Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Very small dedicated server - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Very small dedicated server

2»

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@NinjaHawk said: another debate waiting to start KVM versus OVZ :P

Like comparing a wall to a tarpaulin ;)

• TazTaz Member

And here we go again ;)

@NinjaHawk said: And here we go again ;)

No debate, my analogy is spot on haha. Jail vs virtualization. Two very different things.

• TazTaz Member

Yep. Btw, fixed my centos. Thanks a lot for that hint. Did not even have to switch to oracle :D

edited August 2012

@NinjaHawk said: Yep. Btw, fixed my centos. Thanks a lot for that hint. Did not even have to switch

Giving away my secrets ;)

Yeah I was bored, test phase, thought "This could be fun" and then had no idea that would fix the issue. Never occurred to me that not replacing the kernel would solve it. I really like to abuse my systems when testing them haha

In before "Oh my god you didn't know how to fix it you clearly know nothing about linux" from one of the people who thinks cache is supposed to build until the system crashes, and who was probably too young to walk when I compiled my first kernel...

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@tinyray said: @jarland, $30/month at most, or I stop watching TV to double that much, :)

You still watch TV? Seriouslly? I stopped 3 years ago ;/

Anyway, for 60$ you can get a erlatively good dedicated server, compared to your requirements for 768 ram.

• TazTaz Member

@jarland can summer be much better!

edited August 2012

Btw here's that BlueVM semi-dedicated system I recommended:

CPU model : QEMU Virtual CPU version 0.9.1
    Number of cores : 2
    CPU frequency : 2500.000 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 3962 MB
    Total amount of swap : 4092 MB
    System uptime : 2 min,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 17.2MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Atlanta GA: 6.50MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Dallas, TX: 7.89MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 9.05MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, London, UK: 6.77MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 7.23MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 5.10MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 12.0MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 28.6MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 4.97MB/s
    I/O speed : 276 MB/s

Just formatted. Was trying Windows 8 on it with the tablet. No downtime experienced on it.

• @zhuanyi said: Cobalt RAQ 4

Wow, I didn't know RAQ 4's even still existed. Might look into that, be fun just to play around on for a month if it still has Cobalt Linux

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@mindfreak said: Wow, I didn't know RAQ 4's even still existed. Might look into that, be fun just to play around on for a month if it still has Cobalt Linux

Yeah, I would take it if it is with original cobalt OS as well. I have just sent them an email

• Please let me know what you find out, would love to play around with it if it is.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Is that still patched ? Must be really ancient :o
    M

• For a small dedicated server, you can check out CoreNetworks. You can get some small dual-core non-atom servers at a reasonable price (starting at $30), but 4 cores is expensive.

• @david said: CoreNetworks

I find some of their servers pretty, meh.

25 dollars for a Celeron D with 512mb, I'd rather get a nice VPS for that cash.