Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Better VPS or dedicated
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Better VPS or dedicated

I got a Digital Ocean droplet for $10/month(1GB/30GB) and an EDIS OVZ Starter for 9$/month(512MB/50GB). I use these for email and personal webserver. But I haven't had that much time to maintain them lately so I'm thinking about merging then into a new VPS or a dedicated box for less cost.

So, I'm looking for recommendations for something with better performance, for less cost. It should be OK to sent up a mailserver(using Ubuntu) and although I haven't had the time for it yet it would be nice to be able to set up a VPN to the USA(I'm in Sweden) for Netflix and similar.

Does such a thing exist? :-)

Comments

• If you're interested in Los Angeles, our latest LEB offer might be great for you.

http://lowendbox.com/blog/k9vps-256mb-for-10year-3072mb-for-7month-and-more-in-los-angeles/

• Try Dedibox XC from online.net

• Do you have a budget in mind?

We are currently offering our pure SSD KVM VPS's at 50% off and offer 3 locations here in the US to choose from, check here: https://www.stablebox.com/linux-ssd-cloud-vps-hosting/

As for dedicated servers, I don't believe you are going to find much (if anything) below $20 a month, if you double you budget you may find something, but it will definitely be older hardware (not that it should be an issue, just a side note).

OVH does have their Kimisufi brand in Canada as well which may be an option for you (Not sure about Netflix).

Good luck!

• This will work:

HP BL460c Dedicated Server - Dual X5150, 16GB RAM, 500GB disk, 1 IPv4, /64 IPv6, 5TB Gigabit, dedicated ILO/KVM - $20/month (paid quarterly)

$30/month (paid month-to-month)

http://www.delimiter.com/landingpage/servers2015/?p=X515016500

• @Aene alternatively you can consider high performance KVMs (E5 node) with serverbear benchmark up to 5000

• AeneAene Member

Thanks for all your suggestions. I will check them out. I'd love a bit better performance as especially my mailserver(with vimbadmin) seems a tad memory hungry. But I'm a bit cheap as well and would prefer the same cost(~$19) or less.
    I guess leckley is right although MarkTurner's suggestion sounds nice, but a bit overkill.
    I've looked a bit on the Kimsufi KS1, but they seem a bit hard to find.

• @Aene - $20/month, assuming you paid quarterly, is $1/more than you paying today. Overkill gives you room to expand and play. You could always dice up the server into a few VMs then you have some dev VMs to play with.

• @Aene said:
    Thanks for all your suggestions. I will check them out. I'd love a bit better performance as especially my mailserver(with vimbadmin) seems a tad memory hungry. But I'm a bit cheap as well and would prefer the same cost(~$19) or less.
    I guess leckley is right although MarkTurner's suggestion sounds nice, but a bit overkill.
    I've looked a bit on the Kimsufi KS1, but they seem a bit hard to find.

On the CPU front the KS1 may actually perform worse than a good VPS, the older Atoms were good chips, but couldn't do a lot of heavy lifting - The new atoms on the other hand are pretty amazing.

Good luck in your search!

• century1stopcentury1stop Member
    edited April 2015

@Aene

@MarkTurner is quite right, a ds will have more than enough resources and no one will hassle you for having too much mail.

however, if "cheap" is your objective, you can try a 1GB RAM, 40GB storage KVM @ $8.45, 8 vCores, E5 node. should be adequate to run both applications :) but not too much mail lol

if you are doing email marketing all mail will need double opt-in, opt-out plus bla bla bla that's required by CAN SPAM

• AeneAene Member

@century1stop: No email marketing from me. But I got a few domains that I want to be able to receive occasional emails from.

@MarkTurner: You got a point and I got an MSc in High performance computing so a bit of space might be nice. :) Guess I can try it for a quarter and see how it goes.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner