Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Drunk Tip #247: If recliner does not properly close check for iPhone.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Drunk Tip #247: If recliner does not properly close check for iPhone.

ChrisMillerChrisMiller Member
edited August 2012 in General

Was drinking with a friend last night when I went to get up to get another beer and couldn't get the recliner to properly close pushed on it and shook it a little bit and this pop'd out.

Notice what happened to the left side of the screen. :(

Comments

• I've seen too many people with broken iPhone screens :P

How easy is it to break those?

• So what you're saying is that your recliner spits out white iPhones?

• You are clearly a lazy boy.

Get it?

• Hope its insured.

• ChrisMillerChrisMiller Member
    edited August 2012

@HalfEatenPie said: How easy is it to break those?

It's been dropped, smashed stepped on never had an issue. I guess the recliner was to much for it.

@Taylor said: Hope its insured.

eh ill just wait for the iPhone 5 the phone still works alright, it just won't lock by itself anymore.

• One down, few million more to go...

:X

• @FTNChris said: I guess the recliner was to much for it.

• Go for the S3, I am getting a upgrade soon about £30 / Mo.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Those Apple thingies break awfully easy... I have literally smashed my HTC in the wall a couple of times and it is working absolutely fine, not even a crack somewhere... And now I am getting the samsung note.. seen it getting droped by over 2 meters (first floor of a building) and it barely had a scratch on the screen... Dropping an iphone from that would get the screen into million peaces... Proved by the hundreds of drop tests over youtube. I personally would never spend so much money on iphone, when I can simply get somethign far better and carry my ipod classic in the other pocket.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@ihatetonyy said: So what you're saying is that your recliner spits out white iPhones?

Hilarious image!

• @FTNChris What's tip #246?

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

If you had a HTC phone you'd have broken the recliner instead.

Thanked by 1ihatetonyy
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

New screen on ebay and replace it yourself :)

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited August 2012

Its an iPhone, they purposely try and break themselves so you have to buy a new one in September.

• I had a 3GS that was about 3 days out of the 30 day (!!!) warranty period, back when they first came out. I was flying out to Toronto from JAX, and had someone dropping me off curbside. I'd fallen asleep in the passenger seat, and hadn't noticed that my iPhone had fallen out of my pocket and was resting against the door. When I opened the door to get out it fell less than 12 inches (sports car, very low to the ground) and hit the curb. The screen was destroyed. It looked like I'd hit it with a hammer.

The provider (AT&T) told me I was out of warranty, and the Apple Store told me there was nothing they could do. The only Apple product I've owned since is an iPad 2. It turns out this was a known problem, since the glass they used on the 3GS was basically automotive safety glass. It's designed to be very difficult to break from a center impact, but it's very fragile at the corners. And since safety glass is designed to spiderweb instead of cracking, you could drop one right on the corner from a very low height, and wreck half the screen.

The moral of the story is never to buy products with 30 day warranties. They probably know something you don't.

• @Soylent said: 30 day warranties

O_O

• dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
    edited August 2012

@Soylent Apple's warranty doesn't cover accidental damage.

• When I was reading about it at the time they were known to occasionally do replacements or repairs for people who got screwed by it, because it was a known flaw with the glass they were using.

What their warranty does or does not cover when you're reading the booklet at home is not the same as what the warranty does or does not cover when you're in the store making a scene about their new product launch.

• @Soylent said: The moral of the story is never to buy products with 30 day warranties. They probably know something you don't.

Some countries force minimum warranty periods, in the UK I think it is 1 year, where some places like Italy its 2 years.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited August 2012

For the whole EU i think there is a minimum 2 years warranty for all consumer electronics.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2012

@telephone said: @FTNChris What's tip #246?

#246 was "do not buy an iPhone when walking past a phone store while drunk".

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • Tried to crush something with an N82 once (dont remember what).

Ebay lcd and keys ~ 30usd good as new 14 days later :)

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

First rule should be " dont drink while in a recliner, use a proper seating facility".

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

@dmmcintyre3 said: @Soylent Apple's warranty doesn't cover accidental damage.

Say you did it on purpose? :)

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@rds100 said: For the whole EU i think there is a minimum 2 years warranty for all consumer electronics.

Absolutely right.

However my laptop came with 1 year warranty. I wonder what answer I would get if I return it to the shop after it passes. Same thing for my phone.

• Forced one year here, you can't do less even if you want to.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited August 2012

@rds100 said: For the whole EU i think there is a minimum 2 years warranty for all consumer electronics.

Nope, UK has not fully adopted the 1999/44/EC. Apparently the UK has no warranty law which is interesting but not surprising.

• aubsaubs Member

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange

That's basically the UK 'warranty law' ... If an item comes with a 1 year warranty, you can still return it 3 years later if it doesn't last a reasonable time ...

• @ihatetonyy said: So what you're saying is that your recliner spits out white iPhones?

$$$. That is all.