Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How-To: Set up Email Forwarding for your domain using Mailgun
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How-To: Set up Email Forwarding for your domain using Mailgun

ironhideironhide Member
edited December 2013 in Tutorials

This tutorial is particularly useful if you are hosting your domain in a VPS, but you don't want to setup email forwarding via postfix, or setup your own imap or pop3 server (via dovecot or cyrus, for example) but you want a very effective and simple email forwarding service. I'm going to show you how you can use Mailgun's free service to point your domain's MX records and forward all incoming mails to one of your existing mailboxes.

This tutorial is also useful when your existing DNS panel doesn't support email forwarding (for example cloudflare.com)

Lets do it :)

Step 1: Signup for a free account in mailgun.com

Step 2: Log into your account in Mailgun and add a domain from the top menubar. Once your domain is added, you will see that mailgun gives you a few MX records and TXT records to be added for your domain, for both successful email forwarding and verification of the domain.

Step 3: Now go to your domain's DNS panel and add those MX records and TXT records provided by Mailgun.

Step 4: This is the final step. Log into your Mailgun account and go to Routes section from the top menu. Now add as many routes as you want. For example, if your domain is example.com and you want all the mails sent to [email protected] to be forwarded to [email protected] then create a route like this screenshot, and you are done :)

Enjoy!

Comments

• FiberVMFiberVM Member
    edited December 2013

Using Mailgun as anti-DDoS protection... Haha, good thinking I guess!

• Does it work with BCC emails and forwards them correctly?

• proteus said: Does it work with BCC emails and forwards them correctly?

Ya, perfectly

• One of the coolest thing is that, if you use any URL instead of email in the forward() function, then Mailgun will parse the incoming mail into components and make an HTTP POST call with all the details (like sender, subject, message, attachment) to that URL :)

Thanked by 1mantlebear
  • Just started using mailgun , and it is dope ...

• utamautama Member

@Rolter said:
    Just started using mailgun , and it is dope ...

Is it a bad or good things?

• It is good , all good ..Now i dont need to worry about running my own mailserver , one less thing to worry about .

• SadySady Member

Awesome, I sat up a cPanel account yesterday because I needed mail sent from StartSSL. Do they also provide "Catch All Forwarder"?

Thanked by 1Rolter
  • RolterRolter Member
    edited April 2015

@Sady said:
    Awesome, I sat up a cPanel account yesterday because I needed mail sent from StartSSL. Do they also provide "Catch All Forwarder"?

Yup , it does have catch all as an option , you can create your own wildcards too ...

Here are some of the guides that i had used when setting this up , lol , i am actually posting emails to a script and then processing the email content ..

How to setup mailgun with cloudflare -- Removes the need for running own mail server with added benefit of hiding the server ip

-http://www.chrisanthropic.com/blog/2014/mail-forwarding-with-mailgun-and-cloudflare/

-https://www.jamroom.net/brian/documentation/guides/1364/receiving-email-at-mailgun-for-your-domain

-http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/19043/how-to-set-up-email-forwarding-for-your-domain-using-mailgun

• Thanks for sharing. Very nice tutorial!

• FritzFritz Veteran
    edited May 2015

Tq For sharing.

@ironhide said:
    This tutorial is particularly useful if you are hosting your domain in a VPS, but you don't want to setup email forwarding via postfix, or setup your own imap or pop3 server (via dovecot or cyrus, for example) but you want a very effective and simple email forwarding service. I'm going to show you how you can use Mailgun's free service to point your domain's MX records and forward all incoming mails to one of your existing mailboxes.

This tutorial is also useful when your existing DNS panel doesn't support email forwarding (for example cloudflare.com)

Lets do it :)

Step 1: Signup for a free account in mailgun.com

Step 2: Log into your account in Mailgun and add a domain from the top menubar. Once your domain is added, you will see that mailgun gives you a few MX records and TXT records to be added for your domain, for both successful email forwarding and verification of the domain.

Step 3: Now go to your domain's DNS panel and add those MX records and TXT records provided by Mailgun.

Step 4: This is the final step. Log into your Mailgun account and go to Routes section from the top menu. Now add as many routes as you want. For example, if your domain is example.com and you want all the mails sent to [email protected] to be forwarded to [email protected] then create a route like this screenshot, and you are done :)

Enjoy!

• easyeasy Member

love using mailgun free 13000/month

• What about sending mail, does it show [email protected]?

• Wait, people don't already know this ?

@cosmicgate said:
    What about sending mail, does it show [email protected]?

Yes, as long as you use mailgun smtp server to send the email. I know Gmail can do it.

• @timorbridge said:
    Use improvmx.com, much faster and straight forward

One visit in 8 years and it's to shill for a free mail forward service. Talk about a long con. :dizzy:

Thanked by 1uptime
  • This is awesome, thank you for the tut!

• Nice tutorial :)

• Hi - creator of https://forwardemail.net here. ForwardEmail.net is a free and open source email forwarding solution for custom domain names. We also have added web hook support just last month, which makes it a great alternative to Mailgun (considering they just raised their prices too!). I built this out of frustration with existing services, and because I wanted a privacy-focused service that didn't log anything. Would love to be included in your blog post here! We're ranked #1 and have over 20K happy users. Cheers and hope this finds all of you well.