Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

online.net - Guaranteed bandwidth server - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

online.net - Guaranteed bandwidth server

Comments

• r0t3nr0t3n Member

coolice said: Our network provides native support for IPV6. We assign a /48 size block to each Online account. In order to meet your current and future needs, each server is delivered with a high bandwidth capacity—from 200Mbit/sec to 750Mbit/sec—and with unlimited volume. Choose our PATATE option to benefit from the greatest possible throughput on your server for only €79/month.

I took guaranteed bandwidth as meaning I was guaranteed at least 100mbps port speed, not a 100mbps cap.

Wasn't the Dedibox kidéchire's offered with 1gbit port and no guaranteed bandwidth?

• coolicecoolice Member
    edited April 2015

@r0t3n said:
    My graphs show i've used 40TB last month, and on average 10TB weekly.

I do not see anywhere where it states that you can not go over your guaranteed bandwidth, nor what their meaning of guaranteed bandwidth is, they say its unmetered but you can only use 100mbps of bandwidth before they start charging you basically an overage charge? I don't see anything stating that in their TOS...

I'm not going to be an arse and carry on eating lots of bandwidth but considering I could be using 300mbps over my 3 machines... Can we stay on topic on whether they CAN do this please, not on the morals of its a 2euro machine...

>

It can be just simple math 1 Gbps shared port unmetered with 100 mbps guaranteed to 10 promo servers if there is 8 coustmer that push like @r0t3n on that port you will get exact same speed

You do not get speed under what they guaranteed... actually you are getting 20%-40% more than guaranteed so it is undersold service...

I already wrote if everybody push provider to the limits on the promo offers just becuse they are dirt cheap... this will result eventually to no promos ... If this is like a normal provider use it with peaks and downs eventually everybody on same port will get alot more when needed ...

I ask can you compress that traffic ?

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited April 2015

r0t3n said: I took guaranteed bandwidth as meaning I was guaranteed at least 100mbps port speed, not a 100mbps cap.

There's only (possibly? still not clear) a cap being proposed because you have (in their view) abused the 1Gb connection, presumably to the detriment of other customers.

• earlearl Member

That's what guaranteed represents.. 100Mbit or 33TB/mo will be unmetered. Just cause they were nice and allow you to burst to 1 Gbit does not mean it's 1Gbit unmetered.

If it was 1Gbit unmetered then why bother putting the 100Mbit guaranteed clause in the first place.

Thanked by 1comXyz
  • @r0t3n said:
    My graphs show i've used 40TB last month, and on average 10TB weekly.

I do not see anywhere where it states that you can not go over your guaranteed bandwidth, nor what their meaning of guaranteed bandwidth is, they say its unmetered but you can only use 100mbps of bandwidth before they start charging you basically an overage charge? I don't see anything stating that in their TOS...

I'm not going to be an arse and carry on eating lots of bandwidth but considering I could be using 300mbps over my 3 machines... Can we stay on topic on whether they CAN do this please, not on the morals of its a 2euro machine...

beno_online can you explain what your guaranteed bandwidth means, and is it really a cap?

What you are running on server which consume 40TB bandwidth?

• @r0t3n said:
    I took guaranteed bandwidth as meaning I was guaranteed at least 100mbps port speed, not a 100mbps cap.

Wrong. They guaranteed to give you 100Mbps average each month with that server on the burstable 1Gbps port.

You've used 40TB last month, it means you've used over 100Mbps average last month.

If you don't like how it works, simply cancel the server. I really don't understand why you have the server too good for the price, and you still complain?

• r0t3nr0t3n Member

coolice said: I ask can you compress that traffic ?

It's not any important traffic for me to need to worry about it, I can easily limit it and it wont affect anything, I have no problems with limiting it I'm not out to eat them dry on bandwidth I just wanted opinions.

• r0t3nr0t3n Member

Nekki said: There's only (possibly? still not clear) a cap being proposed because you have (in their view) abused the 1Gb connection, presumably to the detriment of other customers.

I have only used what I could get out of the server, most of these servers just sit idle, including my other two, so not everyone is using their bandwidth allotment, I just used what I could get. As above, I will limit my bandwidth I'm not out to eat them dry, I just wanted opinions as their offerings now seem rather unclear to me and their TOS does not state anything about it either.

Thanked by 1korobkov
  • r0t3nr0t3n Member
    edited April 2015

comXyz said: If you don't like how it works, simply cancel the server. I really don't understand why you have the server too good for the price, and you still complain?

1) Did I say i dont like how it works? No

2) Am i complaining? No, I'm simply asking for opinions. I've already stated I will limit my bandwidth and comply with them.

Thanked by 1korobkov
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

r0t3n said: I have only used what I could get out of the server, most of these servers just sit idle, including my other two, so not everyone is using their bandwidth allotment, I just used what I could get.

It seems like it's a little bit of a 'being treated like an adult' situation, which is unusual in the lowend arena. Given how other providers usually manage bandwidth, I'm not suprised that you (and I guess many others) just tried to consume as much bandwidth as you can, because with other providers they limit the overall transfer as a way of managing traffic.

I guess it's like being a kid; Online.net are the parents who say you have to be in by 8, but if you come in at 5 past they don't mind. They only get annoyed and strict about it when you start staying out until 10 every night.

• @Nekki said:
    I guess it's like being a kid; Online.net are the parents who say you have to be in by 8, but if you come in at 5 past they don't mind. They only get annoyed and strict about it when you start staying out until 10 every night.

All hail Nekki. The voice of reason

Thanked by 2netomx Makenai
  • earlearl Member

Good to know now that when they say guaranteed it means half duplex, not full.. Been wondering about this for a while.

• UrDNUrDN Member

I think there's a lack of documentation, online.net should be more transparent and tell that going over the "guaranteed bandwidth" is fair-use and that exceeding it too often would require to pay for the bandwidth option.

Currently it's more like "your machine will always be connected at 100Mb/s to the Internet but it might be possible to go over it if more is available".

Thanked by 2chrisp korobkov
  • @TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    It gives you a extra 75mbit(or could be 150 now) of bandwidth (from previous experience)

I read both, and it's clear to me that online.net gives OP the option to either use reasonable traffic, or, if OP really wants to use that much traffic, pay for it. They are not forcing you to pay. (And of course you can choose the no-pay way)

As I stated before, the burst speed is always a burst speed. You can not burst every day and every minutes. Bursting for 10 minutes looks totally fine; for a week, hmm...; for a month, well......

But TBH, online really should implement the bandwidth pool.

Thanked by 1comXyz
  • NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited April 2015

UrDN said: I think there's a lack of documentation, online.net should be more transparent and tell that going over the "guaranteed bandwidth" is fair-use and that exceeding it too often would require to pay for the bandwidth option.

Currently it's more like "your machine will always be connected at 100Mb/s to the Internet but it might be possible to go over it if more is available".

I do agree with you somewhat; in this day and age, people do need rules in cast-iron because they simply can't be trusted otherwise.

That said, including it would change very little (other than this thread being created, possibly) as I expect many would still hammer the port until they were told to stop. They just wouldn't be surprised when it happened.

• RizRiz Member
    edited April 2015

@Nekki said:
    I do agree with you somewhat; in this day and age, people do need rules in cast-iron because they simply can't be trusted otherwise.

+1 for this. I feel in the IT industry we naturally push buttons as much as possible.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Riz said: +1 for this. I feel in the IT industry we naturally push buttons as much as possible.

To be honest, I was more approaching it from the angle that very few people seem to have any consideration for their fellow man anymore.

Thanked by 1earl
  • r0t3nr0t3n Member

msg7086 said: As I stated before, the burst speed is always a burst speed. You can not burst every day and every minutes. Bursting for 10 minutes looks totally fine; for a week, hmm...; for a month, well......

I understand this and do agree with it, but I do not see anywhere where it states its a burstable port? You can only assume its a burstable port, 100mbps guaranteed bandwidth does not exactly detail that its a 100mbps port with 1gbps burst? As said before, I'm limiting my bandwidth and complying with them for now.

@bene_online I hope you can confirm this, and really detail this in your TOS and on the server details page. Guaranteed bandwidth may mean one thing to you in France, but differently to everyone else around the world.

Thanked by 2msg7086 korobkov
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

What I can say here is that "guaranteed" is really a poor choice of the word to call this.

It is not guaranteed. If you file a ticket and complain you don't get full 100 Mbit throughput, despite this being guaranteed, they will tell you to go take a hike.

It would be more correct to call it something like guideline bandwidth, the level of usage you aren't expected to constantly overshoot. If that'd be the term used, nobody would have any questions similar to the OP.

Thanked by 2Dylan korobkov
  • 4n0nx4n0nx Member

I mean they could just write "30TB" .. :D

Thanked by 1korobkov
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

r0t3n said: You can only assume its a burstable port, 100mbps guaranteed bandwidth does not exactly detail that its a 100mbps port with 1gbps burst?

To be honest, it's implicit. The port speed is clearly all that's 'guaranteed'; anything more you get is a bonus, and that's clear from the T&C's. I'm not clear how you're reading it, but I'm quite sure that the situation is fairly clear to most.

What is missing from the T&C's is the actions Online will take should you stay out until 10 everynight ;-)

• r0t3nr0t3n Member

rm_ said: What I can say here is that "guaranteed" is really a poor choice of the word to call this.

Thats whats throwing me off, It's been sold as having a 1gbit port with unmetered traffic and 100mbps guaranteed bandwidth which isn't detailed anywhere, so which one is it? Unmetered or 100mbps capped? Rather contradicting and confusing to be honest.

Thanked by 1korobkov
  • J1021J1021 Member

The 1Gb/s figure on their website is useless for the personal range and below. The switches are connected at 1Gb/s, so you'll never hit 1Gb/s without causing issues for other customers on the switch. Same applies for the "Internal 1Gb/s".

They need to get realistic with their advertisements and remove those figures from the website.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

rm_ said:

It is not guaranteed. If you file a ticket and complain you don't get full 100 Mbit throughput, despite this being guaranteed, they will tell you to go take a hike.

Really? That's a breach of the server T&C's. Did that happen to you?

Thanked by 1korobkov
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2015

Nekki said: That's a breach of the server T&C's

Speaking of which, I wonder, is it really:

This doesn't mention it's the minimum guaranteed b/w, it's the maximum that they guarantee you should be able to reach.

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • J1021J1021 Member

@Nekki said:
    Really? That's a breach of the server T&C's. Did that happen to you?

I assume he's talking about the Kidechire offer. There has never been advertised a guaranteed throughput for those servers, though the support team refer to it when asking customers to reduce bandwidth usage.

• This all seems like a lot of back-peddling on Online's side. If you sell a server on a gigabit port and state 200Mbps guaranteed then effectively they are saying you can use upto 200Mbps but don't expect more.

Marketing double talk for we'll give you a gigabit port and traffic shape above 200Mbps (I think this system was 100Mbps guaranteed).

They state:
    Traffic Unmetered

http://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-xc

So effectively they are not metering it or measuring it.

I would say expect to be able to use upto 200Mbps then expect traffic shaping to take effect, but if you managed to get more out of it then the wind was in the right direction. But they can't charge you for it. Its unmetered.

Online is within its rights to traffic shape above the agreed guaranteed rate as they are not guaranteeing above 100Mbps, but they can't put their hand out and ask you for more money now.

Thanked by 2Dylan korobkov
  • kcaj said: There has never been advertised a guaranteed throughput

What does the original page show? Does it show unmetered?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

rm_ said: This doesn't mention it's the minimum guaranteed b/w, it's the maximum that they guarantee you should be able to reach.

Fair point. It's a very tricky piece of wording when you look at it.

• J1021J1021 Member

@MarkTurner said:

Yes, there is a field that reads "Internet Guaranteed" but it had something like two dashes through it. I have a copy of the offer but I'm away from my laptop at the moment, I'll post it up later if somebody hasn't beat me to it.