Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the biggest mistake you've made on a server? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's the biggest mistake you've made on a server?

Comments

• Accidentally rebooted the wrong VPS.

Thanked by 1GoodHosting
  • dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
    edited August 2012

change ssh port without realizing iptables is set to block every port except 22, 80 and 443, on a dedicated server without ipmi.

Second biggest: install ubuntu on a server

• TazTaz Member

Couple of weeks ago, I was setting up couple of new nodes. After setting everything up, I have realized that I got right OS on the wrong server and the right server got wrong reload. From that day, Only 1 kvm session per monitor.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@dmmcintyre3 said: change ssh port

I never understood that move... I mean, random bots trying random passwords will never break a real pass. If they are on you, changing ssh port wouldnt matter, they will find it, unless you allow only certain hosts, and if you do that, why would you change the port in the first place, etc.
    IMO, that move is not necessary, at least it does more harm than good.
    M

• @maounique it allows you to detect port scans and block it, instead of letting them get past the first, easy hurdle.

If we are to got hat far... Key only and it is solved. Or block all except your ip. Preferably the IP of some VPS you have.
    It is enough I have to remember 100 passes, remembering ports too would be too much...
    But I guess to each his own :)
    M

• TazTaz Member

@Maounique who needs to memorize when you have Excel?

Believe me, I have 10+ tabs in each browser, 3 browsers open, 10 terminals, I certainly dont need another browser tab :)
    Not to mention when I am away with my crappy laptop.
    M

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Confusing my local shell with my remote shell, and accidentally wiping /var/www on a production server instead of my local development stack.

I was really happy that I'm paranoid about backups, at that moment.

• MrDOSMrDOS Member
    edited August 2012

@rds100 said: I typed "poweroff" and shutdown a node instead of the VPS i wanted to shutdown.

@TheHackBox said: Accidentally rebooted the wrong VPS.

Sounds like you guys need a molly-guard. sudo apt-get install molly-guard should just about do it it, I think.

• TazTaz Member

@Maounique think you got it rough?
    http://gyazo.com/2b79bd623629f24de3d4a585499826cf
    My whole system is begging for mercy.

• The worst thing I did was chown www-data:www-data in /var instead of /var/www

For some reason nothing worked correctly after that

Thanked by 1GoodHosting
  • years ago

UPDATE tbl_userfunctions SET myfunction ="function(){......code ... code .. code}"

without WHERE id_function -

auto commit and good night

• Solus reinstall on wrong server (not the test one, but one in use) was nice. No fuckups unless a beer/glass red wine or 5 tho..

• Shutdown a production server instead of the local dev system. Worse, it was an AWS instance with local storage only, so once it shutdown, EC2 deleted the hard disk. Fortunately, databases were on a different instance, but a couple of very stressful hours to get all the apps and config re-installed!

Thanked by 1GoodHosting

@kiwidave said: Worse, it was an AWS instance with local storage only, so once it shutdown, EC2 deleted the hard disk

Oops :o
    M

• do this dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=64k count=100k on my production system. Lost the vz partition

Thanked by 1klikli
  • Many years ago I made the mistake of getting 2 SSH connections open and RM'd the wrong /home/xxx directory.

along with no backups!

Certainly have learnt from that mistake, atleast it was my own box :)

• Installing fedora on it.

Never again.

Thanked by 3Nickk Silvenga fisle

Trying to post image from your secret blog ? :)
    M

• @Maounique said: Trying to post image from your secret blog ? :)

Hehe.. That's one of my attempt to generate load 1000, but only get 481 :p

• @dmmcintyre3 said: change ssh port without realizing iptables is set to block every port except 22, 80 and 443, on a dedicated server without ipmi.

Same here!

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@MrLawoodle said: Reinstalled the wrong server.

This... With no backups... Several weeks of Minecraft building gone down the drain.

• Reinstalled the wrong server

• Touch wood I have never actually done anything wrong with a server.

edited August 2012

@rethinkvps said: Touch wood I have never actually done anything wrong with a server.

It will come a time, my friend, no worries... :)

3 old ladies were talking about memory loss that comes with age:

• I am forgetting a lot, my dears, yesterday I forgot the cat locked in the balcony for the whole day...
    • That is nothing, I forgot the refrigerator door open for the whole day...
    • Knock on wood, I never had such problems, says the third while she keeps knocking. After a while:
    • Hey, dont you hear that knocking ? Maybe there is someone at the door !
      M
    Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • Didn't make any backups, then I reinstalled the OS. I was supposed to do it with another VPS but meh, fail.

• @Maounique said: It will come a time, my friend, no worries... :)

3 old ladies were talking about memory loss that comes with age:

• I am forgetting a lot, my dears, yesterday I forgot the cat locked in the balcony for the whole day...
    • That is nothing, I forgot the refrigerator door open for the whole day...
    • Knock on wood, I never had such problems, says the third while she keeps knocking. After a while:
    • Hey, dont you hear that knocking ? Maybe there is someone at the door !
      M

I will try not to haha

• a bit off-topic, but the mistake I recall is to have bought VPS for 1 year, and to finally conclude after 2 months that there are low end VPS which outperform my costly full-year VPS, and is about 3 times cheaper. I did only use the VPS for backup purpose. Since that time, I've fallen in love with LEB/LET and will trust only price + remarks and appraisals of LEB/LET members.