Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft's new outlook.com email... - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Microsoft's new outlook.com email...

Comments

• I have to IMAP, we don't have internet all the time, so having a local copy is helpful

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@subigo
    Only used IMAP (actually IMAPS) was integrating a helpdesk system that required IMAPS.

• @MrLawoodle said: You have to be rather stupid to still be using POP3.

I don't use either. I haven't used an email client since Gmail was released. I already have a browser installed on all of my devices, no need to install another piece of software.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@subigo said: no need to install another piece of software.

How would you be alerted to urgent e-mails?

• /closed the tab. see next time, Bill. It's hard to catch your capcha, i'm just human being, let me in ;D

• @serverbear : same with you, i've tried IE-7 and Chrome. They should place it on the right below, hope so.

• @jarland said: How would you be alerted to urgent e-mails?

I've just used browser extensions forever. Before Chrome, I used Firefox with a checker and now I use this:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/apebebenniibdlpbookhgelaghfnaonp

• PatsPats Member

@jcaleb said: my firstname.surname is already taken =(

mine too :(

• If we create/change the email to new one, will the old one still receiving the email to it?

• Just saw this :

Here are a few other things to keep in mind:

Email sent to your old address will still go to your account.
        Remember to always sign in with your new address; you won't be able to sign in with your old one.
        If you'd like to stop receiving mail sent to your old address, just delete that address in account services.
  • gianggiang Veteran

@ErawanArifNugroho said: If we create/change the email to new one, will the old one still receiving the email to it?

Just create an alias, this way is easier :D

• When they finally decide to let me use my real name with my account, I might consider properly checking their services out. Apparently my name still contains inappropriate words.

The interface does look refreshing but it's just a new paintjob on an old car from what I was able to see so far.

• @subigo said: I don't use either. I haven't used an email client since Gmail was released. I already have a browser installed on all of my devices, no need to install another piece of software.

I use the GMail client on my phone :3

• I use my phone for most emails too, the Gmail/Android (4.x) is sweet. Although the outlook.com ui is very nice, i don't see myself moving

• Looks good but I don't use MSN/Windows Live as my primary email. Waiting for a Yahoo Mail redesign (simplificated).

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@subigo said: And people still use desktop clients for email?

I do :P

• @juan_144 If you're using Yahoo you'll be waiting quite a while...

I saw this, it looks great! But I'm happy with Gmail and I have so many e-mail accounts tied to it, people used to using it, etc, that making a new one would just be unnecessary.

• @Ivraatiems yes but while that happens I use Zimbra Desktop.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Can somebody take a screenshot of the "new" interface? I've tried everything but all I see is the default OWA theme. :(

• @KuJoe said: Can somebody take a screenshot of the "new" interface? I've tried everything but all I see is the default OWA theme. :(

It looks just like the screenshots in the blog and video:

http://i.imgur.com/68kBq.png

That's what I thought, I wish mine looked like that. :(

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@KuJoe said: That's what I thought, I wish mine looked like that. :(

just enter with outlook.com and it works... worked on mine and registered my nuckname

edited August 2012

@netomx I tried that but it keeps redirecting me to login.live.com, I guess it's a setting of the domain owner (school e-mail). :(

• Try to logout, and relogin to hotmail :)

No luck. :(

• Hm.. Or maybe stay open/login with hotmail.com, and try to open outlook.com

• Does anyone know about current Microsoft policy about using open protocols? For me, an email address is not only an address on which I'll receive mails, its also what I use to chat. For that matter, it's really important that the chat uses open protocol, and Gmail uses XMPP, so I'm still able to use that ID wherever I am. One day, I had a contact that had only hotmail and wanted to chat with me, and I was on mobile and that was impossible. At the end, he said he had a Facebook account that was not used, and because Facebook also used XMPP, we could talk on Facebook without hassle. That's why I avoid closed protocols like hotmail, Skype, ... whatever the UI looks like and whatever great features are promised.

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • the look also like the new Azure interface...

• ... And apart from protocol, it's not quite "Modern experience for modern browsers and devices". I can't drag-n-drop a file to add as attachment. Still far behind Gmail.

• @DotMG said: At the end, he said he had a Facebook account that was not used, and because Facebook also used XMPP, we could talk on Facebook without hassle.

What!? Yes I know, GTalk is based on XMPP and Facebook chat uses a XMPP type front end for the chat feature but both services do nothing when you try to add a contact from the adversary network.

Federation blocked? May be.