Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thrust::VPS and BHost Review
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Thrust::VPS and BHost Review

trawlentrawlen Member
edited November 2011 in Reviews

Thrust::VPS

After about 2 months with Thrust::VPS i can say it's possibly one of the worst experiences i have personally encountered.

To start with, everything seemed fine for about a week. But then this :

root@server1:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
16384+0 records in
16384+0 records out
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 20.6651 s, 22.0 MB/s

After these problems, i started experiencing upload speeds of under 100kb/s. Which i think you will all agree, isn't acceptable. My home connection can upload faster than that.

Not only that but the connection on the server dropped at least 3 times an hour, interrupting crucial MYSQL connections for over 50 users every time. So i thought it was time to send a ticket in...

Well, more than one. And none of them resolved any issues except the upload speeds. I was told in one ticket, the node randomly turned itself off. Which it did again last night i assume as the VPS powered down, not just had an interrupted network connection.

So over the course of a month this happened more than 50 times, reboots and network problems. So i eventually decided to move, but i thought maybe moving to their UK node would be an improvement.

To put it simply : Nope. Rebooted after a day.

Overall though their support response times were quick, but not very helpful to say the least. They only concentrated on fixing the current problem, not preventing it in the future or investigating in to why it happened.

BHOST

This isn't much of a review because quite simply... I have nothing to review.

root@1237-1036-3567:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
16384+0 records in
16384+0 records out
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 15.3869 s, 69.8 MB/s

The VPS seems quite fast but i put in a support ticket 2-3 DAYS ago for them to restore a backup for me of my old image from Thrust::VPS but no response...

Conclusions

Avoid both at all costs. Both promise good things, but deliver nothing only trouble.
If anybody can offer me a decent deal with none of the above problems for around the same prices, or has any suggestions please tell me because it's hurting trying to find somewhere.

Comments

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Hmm.. I have seen bad reviews of ThrustVPS before..

Thanked by 1drmike
  • Wow the node just reboots itself on its own for no reason, thats a new one :P

• They oversell stupidly. Not just by an extra 5 or 10 either. I bet they load there nodes alot more than the likes of burstnet do.

Thanked by 1tux
  • trawlentrawlen Member
    edited November 2011

I was going to put in my review that i had an excellent time with Burst.NET it was just the fact that my IP was on like 50 Chinese spam lists, and 50 websites were directed to my IP. I had thousands of attempts to brute the root password in like an hour, and lots of vulnerability scans going on every day.
    They were also bouncing mail off too.

This was on all 3 of the VPS i owned with them.

Not getting much luck am I :(

• trawlentrawlen Member
    edited November 2011

After sending in yet another ticket, i got a response on the BHOST topic :

Dear Brandon

Apologies for the delay in our response, but unfortunately we do not currently provide the ability to restore images from other providers.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if we can provide any further assistance.

Kind regards

Both control panels are the same, SolusVM or whatever it's called. Is there any reason as to why they wouldn't be able to?

• @trawlen said: Both control panels are the same, SolusVM or whatever it's called. Is there any reason as to why they wouldn't be able to?

The panel their using has nothing to do with it.

You're have to get a VZDump of your VPS, then get BHost to extract it into your container, its pretty simple but takes a bit of time.

Most VPS companys won't migrate you from your previous VPS, too many differencies.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@VMport said: Wow the node just reboots itself on its own for no reason, thats a new one :P

Not if you use a .32 based kernel :P The kernels are still pretty unstable and will randomly panic so any host not using the 'auto reboot on panic' features of linux are silly.

Honestly, given some of the brands that Rus had purchased back in the day, it's obvious that a lot of the nodes were stacked heavily. He purchased/acquired hazenet and, at least according to the people on WHT, didn't improve anything.

Francisco

• what are the specs for the both that you got from ? Whats the ram and monthly price may i ask ?

• trawlentrawlen Member
    edited November 2011

BHost - Like $6? Was really cheap.
    ThrustVPS - $7~

Thrust has 512, 1024 burst.
    BHOST 512.

• ThrustVPS oversell beyond overselling!!! Only one word, retards... Support is moronic. I canceled two vps's five days ago...

• I don't know why you expect to have served from a budget VPS plan? BHost is great for me - 6 months already and just two downtimes. The performance is OK, stability is OK and uptime is OK. So what you want for $6? Speed/Bandwith/Containers/Accessibilty - all they are OK with BHost.

• Steliyan. As i said the performance seems a lot better, but i don't expect to wait 3 days without a reply to a support ticket.

Calm down.

Thanked by 1drmike
  • It is strange. I don't have such experience with them. I have used their phone hot line - I have sweet talk with the support and my problem was resolved ASAP. So I don't know what is your sitauion but from almost ALL LEB providers - BHost is one of the best for me. Next is Alvotech in Germany. The worst is Burst.net.

• tuxtux Member
    edited November 2011

@steliyan said: The worst is Burst.net.

+1

• I've had a couple of problems with ThrustVPS, including some network problems, but mine weren't as bad as you describe. The biggest issue I had was an entire node's storage filling up, screwing up my VPS for several days. I'll likely be canceling one of my two VPSes with them, not sure about the other one though.

• I'm still trying to figure out how I got on their sales email list.