Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New/latest trendy blog engine or static site generator hotness
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New/latest trendy blog engine or static site generator hotness

Anything cool/new that anyone is using or seen?

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

New? I don't know.

I use jekyll (ruby) for my blog (not my advice site). I was happy with pelican (python) when I used it - just happened to find a jekyll template I liked better.

• Blug Python static with some nice planned features, I.e monitoring traffic and optimizing pages on the fly.
    • Pico PHP semi static, dont need to even run it just place a markdown file on the server and a hit compiles it to HTML. Would run great with a cache in front of it.
    • Hugo Golang static. Again nice features and super fast. Can run a live reload server on windows/linux/bsd etc with no changes.
  • blog engine or static site generator hotness

tumblr dot com

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I'll have to check those out. However...

rawrwriter said: PHP semi static

I think there's a big difference between true static and "semi-static". With a true static generator, I don't even need to load php on the box.

rawrwriter said: Golang static. Again nice features and super fast.

I imagine it is very fast, but how much does that matter? How many thousands of pages would you need before the difference between python/perl/ruby/etc. and Go is going to be slow enough to notice?

• KihiKihi Member

+1 for Jekyll.

Fast, lot's of plugins and easy to deploy. You can use markdown, heml, erb templates, etc.

• I use wintersmith.io

Thanked by 2Scottsman ehab
  • twaintwain Member

@rawrwriter said:

• Blug Python static with some nice planned features, I.e monitoring traffic and optimizing pages on the fly.
    • Pico PHP semi static, dont need to even run it just place a markdown file on the server and a hit compiles it to HTML. Would run great with a cache in front of it.
    • Hugo Golang static. Again nice features and super fast. Can run a live reload server on windows/linux/bsd etc with no changes.

Thanks, Pico looks interesting, and also Blug looks very simple and usable which is kind of what I am looking for. Hugo I had seen before..

• You can use wget to get static HTMLs out of everything (afaik). Just use wget like here http://m.linuxjournal.com/content/downloading-entire-web-site-wget tested it a bit and worked fine.

• I use sculpin.io - it works great :)

• twaintwain Member

@nexusrain said:
    You can use wget to get static HTMLs out of everything (afaik). Just use wget like here http://m.linuxjournal.com/content/downloading-entire-web-site-wget tested it a bit and worked fine.

Thanks for the link. While that is interesting, that's not quite the gist of this thread..

• Ghost is the new hotness in blogging. Pelican mentioned above is, I believe, the most full-featured static blog generator.

• howardsl2howardsl2 Member
    edited April 2015

Buster is a static site generator for Ghost blogs (install guide):
    https://github.com/axitkhurana/buster

Personally I just use "wget" for this:

wget --random-wait --wait 1 -r -p -E -D example.com http://example.com

• twaintwain Member

Yellow looks nice and simple as well:
    https://github.com/datenstrom/yellow/wiki/How-to-make-a-blog

It's intended to be used directly on the server which I prefer.

• @twain But it is a way to generate static sites, isnt it?

• souensouen Member

It depends on what features you want. Pico is very easy to theme, though at the moment there are only a handful of plugins. Good if you want something up fast, no messing with databases. For specific unsupported features you're most likely on your own, though if you already know some php it's not hard to hook some script to it. About the same for Monstra (flat file but not really a static generator, with a login).

Somewhat like Pico in terms of simple to get started, Felix Felicis is a Python generator.

Trend-wise, I'm seeing a lot of Ghost and Jekyll sites lately.

• twaintwain Member

@nexusrain said:
    twain But it is a way to generate static sites, isnt it?

Right, however I'm going for actually generating/creating/updating sites/pages that don't already exist.

• NomadNomad Member

Github also offers hosting your blog with Jekyll directly from Github.

• gianggiang Veteran

Anyone try http://getgrav.org/ ? I've read an article on WebAppers about it.

Thanked by 1souen
  • I tried Grav and it's working just fine. They're developing an admin panel atm, looking quite promising. I'm gonna give it a try for some client sites as soon as they release it.

• souensouen Member

Nearly forgot Nikola (Python-based, good documentation)

• twaintwain Member

Thanks for the feedback. A lot of cool stuff I hadn't heard of in these suggestions.

Thanked by 1rzlosty
  • twaintwain Member

spress and nestacms also look good. These have direct support to deploy to Openshift, which is excellent, as Openshift rocks (and has a great free tier).

• Not sure its what your looking for, but we use Cute News for our blog. It seems to work rather well despite the slightly dated design and is very lightweight.

• twaintwain Member

@SNetworks1 said:
    Not sure its what your looking for, but we use Cute News for our blog. It seems to work rather well despite the slightly dated design and is very lightweight.

Cute news wow yeah that's been around forever! Very nice little script that fits a lot of use cases where others fail.

• @twain said:

Yeah, for something just really simple (and thats really all we needed) it works great, its not the most elegant looking, but as I say we integrate it into our site so it doesn't make a big difference for us.