Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Please help! My klogd is stuck...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Please help! My klogd is stuck...

dantesdantes Member
edited July 2012 in Help

Hey everybody,

I need some advice. I spent 8 hours today to solve this problem, however without success...

I have 2 VPSs with exactly the same problem. They both run Ubuntu 10.04 LTS under an openvz config.

I installed "nullmailer" to serve as my local sendmail/smtp server. However, one of it's dependencies is "klogd", so it installed it as well...

I have no idea why it's necessary..

Anyway, it gets stuck on load. I gets stuck for about 5-10 minutes. After this period, it's still not running. The main problem is that after reboot, no service (nginx/php-fpm) will turn on until klogd will finish being stuck.

It also runs some "dd" process... Here is the "ps ax | grep dd" output:
/bin/dd bs=1 if=/proc/kmsg of=/var/run/klogd/kmsg

Here is how it looks for 10 mins:
http://d.pr/i/kesw

Thanks!!!

Comments

• NickMNickM Member

That dd process is used for transferring messages from the kernel to the syslog. This is done to avoid having your syslog daemon running as root, since /proc/kmsg is only readable by root.

As for nullmailer... nullmailer actually doesn't depend on klogd (or any syslogd), it's a recommended package though, and Ubuntu by default installs recommended packages as if they were hard dependencies. You can add APT::Install-Recommends "0"; to your /etc/apt/apt.conf file (and then run apt-get update) to avoid this.

Thanked by 1dantes
  • dantesdantes Member

Thanks @NickM
    Do you have any idea why it got stuck?
    Should I keep it?
    Thanks...

• NickMNickM Member

I have no idea why it got stuck. It's actually the init script that is stuck. I have heard of some problems with klogd in Ubuntu on OpenVZ, but that was a few years ago. You don't really need a syslog at all, but I'd recommend using syslog-ng instead of the default sysklogd, since it can be helpful in diagnosing problems.