Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS IO Benchmark Competition - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS IO Benchmark Competition

Comments

• DamianDamian Member

I don't mind people entering the contest with our services, however, the disk arrays are tuned for random I/O, not massive block writes, hence why the interactivity of the service 'feels' fast despite not returning 'impressive' numbers. I don't think we'll win.

I have yet to determine how writing a contiguous 1gb file is indicative of anything anyone is going to do with their VPS, since I can't think of any 'normal' processes that would write a contiguous 1gb file. It is, however, the standard LET test for some reason. Such is life.

• @Damian people are people. They like big, and fast things.

• Also, it puts providers who have ultra low-end boxes (Sub 128MB RAM) at an advantage, as they'd obviously be cheaper.

How about a ram standardisation? Multiply/Divide the price as if you're 'stacking' packages together until you reach the 'standard' amount of RAM.
    e.g. Supposing the standard is 256MB, and you're using a BuyVM $15/year box with 128MB RAM, you'd then multiply the price by two giving you the stacked 256MB.

If that sounds confusing, it seemed better when I thinking about it :<

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • @eastonch PM me the command you used to bench. There's one here with the email in the wrong place.

@ElliotJ I'll post an update after a few days, lets see if the results surprise us or not :)

• @serverbear I just got the e-mail... lol. First time it's ever sent one from the 10 i've ever done.

• flyfly Member

it's nice.

• @eastonch Strange, you got some sort of Government server with no access to the outside world? :P

• Possibly. @serverbear.

My ShardHost Test VPS is actually doing rather well with HDD's racking 184MB/s :}

• qjqqjq Member

can you make it work on freebsd??
    like not assuming either yum or apt and using gdd

• @qjq Only supports on CentOS, Red Hat, Debian & Ubuntu atm. You might be able to get it to run if you install the packages yourself first.

@miTgiB Seems to have the highest IO I've seen so far.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@serverbear said: Seems to have the highest IO I've seen so far.

Well, the IO won't be changing, but I am resubmitting a new test as I forgot to downgrade the container from 1gb to 512mb, so gotta follow the rules ya know ;)

• happelhappel Member

@serverbear said: PM me the command you used to bench. There's one here with the email in the wrong place.

>

The page on github states a different order of parameters than your instructions in this thread.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@Damian said: I have yet to determine how writing a contiguous 1gb file is indicative of anything anyone is going to do with their VPS, since I can't think of any 'normal' processes that would write a contiguous 1gb file. It is, however, the standard LET test for some reason. Such is life.

Good point. Real usage is the only true test.

• my AWS EC2 will win cos it's Free

Laf

• @happel Both syntaxes work afaik, I'll double check with the guys when I get into the office to make sure.

@avanti We're working on trying to simulate real world usage. It's not easy & involves a much longer test period (plus everyone uses their box for different things).

• zserozsero Member

Guys, this test is totally stupid as it is now. Please read an Anandtech SSD review to understand what is a proper way to measure I/O performance. dd is not! The only thing this test does at the moment is make some load for some poor LEB provider, without providing any real value about I/O performance.

OK, for example from the Samsung 830 review:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/4863/the-samsung-ssd-830-review/2#1BLQx9dqD5eYCM6g.99

This paragraph is included in all review:

The four corners of SSD performance are as follows: random read, random write, sequential read and sequential write speed. Random accesses are generally small in size, while sequential accesses tend to be larger and thus we have the four Iometer tests we use in all of our reviews.

A proper test would be to record a typcal workload for a LEB server and play it back, like in Anandtech. If this is too complicated, at least use ioping, iometer, etc.

For an other reference, look at StorageReview:
    http://www.storagereview.com/samsung_ssd_830_review_256gb

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • A proper test would be to record a typcal workload for a LEB server and play it back, like in Anandtech. If this is too complicated, at least use ioping, iometer, etc.

The reports have IOPS data, I'll post IOPS per $ spent too for reference.

• @serverbear, IOPS of ioping -RD I think is the best from the tests done, but the question caching is a good one. A well implemented SSD cache with HDD drives should be awarded almost as much as a pure SSD solution, but I don't know what does ioping return in such cases.

• Who won?

• johnjohn Member

@serverbear said: The competition runs until Midnight GMT on the 31st August 2012.

It hasn't ended yet.

• Oops! I miss-read it. I thought it was the end of July haha. Sorry.

• Had a few cracking entries today, we're working on a leaderboard that'll just show the comp entries.

• Serverbear, can you make something to make the clicking not forward to the website of the host? Also, the comparison page cuts after x entries, but there is no pagination support.

• @zsero Pagination is coming. Clicking where, the plan name? We'll have dedicated pages for plans eventually (once we have enough data).

• I mean, normally I go to the site and want to see how fast is a plan I'm thinking about. Now, the only way to click is the name of the plan. If I click on it, it forwards me to the website of the operator. I would like to see the results, not the website of the operator.

• serverbearserverbear Member
    edited August 2012

After week 1, here's a bit of an update on the current top plans:

Top 5 IO per $

Prometeus 128MB Yearly - 561
    IPXcore OVZ-32 - 298
    Avante Hosting Plastic - 166
    IPXcore 256MB Special - 113
    EDIS    KVM Micro - 109

Top 5 IOPS (based on IOping -c 10) per $

IPXcore OVZ-32 - 11628
    Prometeus 128MB Yearly - 8340
    IPXcore OVZ-32 - 7184
    VPSCheap    VPS 1 - 7148.484848
    EDIS    KVM Micro - 1977.386935

Not seen many SSD tests yet, lets see if anyone can top those numbers :) I'll post all the results at the end with more analysis.

@zsero We're working on way to make that interaction nicer.

• :D I think I submitted that Prometeus 128MB one.

• serverbearserverbear Member
    edited August 2012

@zsero We've done a bit on the plans, try clicking one now & see if that's more useful than going to the host. You'll need to refresh first (to clear cache).

@eastonch Nice! :)

• I'll update this tonight, I haven't forgotten about it. Had a truckload of benchmarks in the last few days (which involves adding loads of new hosts).