Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS IO Benchmark Competition
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS IO Benchmark Competition

serverbearserverbear Member
edited July 2012 in General

Thought it'd be interesting to run a little competition to see which LEB has the best IO per $ spent. If you score 57 MB/s & your box is $5/month then your IO per $ spent is 11.4.

This is the first time we've run a competition, if you guys like the idea then we're happy to do something recurring themes (i.e. UnixBench/GeekBench/IOPS scores).

IO Measurement

We will be measuring the IO from the following dd command: dd if=/dev/zero of=sb-io-test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync

How to Enter

Simply run the following command on your box to enter, this will complete a full benchmark with ServerBear (not just dd):

wget -N https://raw.github.com/Crowd9/Benchmark/master/sb.sh&&bash sb.sh 'HostName - LEB Competition' 'PlanName' '[email protected]' 'Price'

View the benchmark script (if you need to see what we are executing): https://github.com/Crowd9/Benchmark/blob/master/sb.sh

Replace:

• HostName with the name of your host (i.e. Hostigation), you must include the LEB Competition so we know you are entering.
  • Plan Name with the name of your plan (i.e. OVZ-128)
  • Your Email address (you can leave this out if you want, but I will need this to send you the report + email you if you win)
  • Price - Just include the monthly cost of the plan (in USD)

Why can't we just post our own DD numbers? - If we just asked you to run the dd command on your box, there's no way to regulate cheating or fudging of numbers.

Results:

I will update this thread with the scores, ranked by IO per $ spent. Once completed I'll aggregate it up to an individual host so you can see which hosts provide the best IO value. The competition runs until Midnight GMT on the 31st August 2012.

Prizes:

• 2 x winners (one of which must be non-ssd) will get their winning LEB paid upfront for the next 2 years (paid via Paypal)
  • 2 x runners (one of which must be non-ssd) up will get their runner up LEB paid upfront for the next 1 year (paid by Paypal)

Rules:

• You must benchmark a LEB (base plan monthly cost must equate to less than $7/month)
  • You can only benchmark a single box once, so any tweaks must be made before you run it
  • Multiple entries from the same user are accepted but must be different LEB's & IP addresses
  • All entries will be checked to ensure the system specs match up with the plan submitted
  • The benchmark is high CPU & IO intensive, we cannot be held responsible for any issues it may cause with your host.

Comments

• TazTaz Member

Sata and ssd would differ a lot. So ssd vps will win for sure. How ever, what do comes in mind is that, while ssd providers will provide small diskspace (5-10gig) a leb provider can provide double specs for the same amount of storage.

For example ssd provider x does $5 for 5gb space while average provider y does 15gb for $5.
    So unless,
    You are comparing apple to apple, this competition is not going to be fare.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@NinjaHawk said: So ssd vps will win for sure.

Don't be so sure of that ;)

Thanked by 2TheHackBox Maounique
  • miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@serverbear said: which hosts provide the best IO value.

Why are all these testfiles being downloaded, what part of IO testing does that fulfill?

• TazTaz Member

@miTgiB can you beat gig/s

• serverbearserverbear Member
    edited July 2012

@NinjaHawk In the spirit of fairness, we'll do two winners & two runners up. One of each must be non-ssd.

@miTgiB It's our standard testing suite, we haven't built a script purposely for this competition (as stated above).

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@NinjaHawk said: can you beat gig/s

Only 1GB/s+ dd result I've seen was not a LEB

• TazTaz Member

@miTgiB check aging ;) someone got it.

• rds100rds100 Member

@serverbear just go to http://hostingwizard.net - the measurements are already there :)

• dnomdnom Member

@miTgiB said: Only 1GB/s+ dd result I've seen was not a LEB

IIRC I've seen quickweb dd results at 1GB/s but I think that's just because it's writing to cache.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

All these i/o tests are going to kill the innocents :)

mmm, I will add a check box in the order form:
    [ ] Check this if you plan to run i/o tests more than 2 time / year

then will place that users on raid0 overcached nodes :)

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • TazTaz Member

@prometeus LOL.
    Imagine what will happen if all users from a specific node decides to run IO test at the exact same time? EVEN SSD Would cry :P

• Added a disclaimer to the bottom of the competition. Just in case :P

• jcalebjcaleb Member

How to send entry? Just post in this thread?

• @jcaleb you don't have to post them here (I have the email addresses), but you can if you want :)

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • My money is on ipxcore 0.50 boxes would be in 1-200 io per $

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@hayhayday said: My money is on ipxcore 0.50 boxes would be in 1-200 io per $

Does special deal with the provider counted?

• @jcaleb I will be using the standard price listed on the website for the plan.

• yomeroyomero Member

Where you will be doing this crap? I don't want to be in the same nodes... ¬¬

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Oh no...

• jcalebjcaleb Member

Are there any other disk io test with no ouch on the node?

• TazTaz Member

Poor nodes are going to get raped. Stop this inhumanity! Stop Node Abuse. #SaveMyHD

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@NinjaHawk maybe run another contest, for those who can prove they did not dd their boxes for the longest time =)

Thanked by 1Taz
  • jcalebjcaleb Member

I just thought... since @Damian has the cheapest box at 50cents, his boxes would be the most logical entries.... Hope no downtime for IPXCore due to excessive io =)

• Not seen any IPXCore yet, although it would be cheap for me to pay the winner on that one ;)

• @serverbear said: Not seen any IPXCore yet, although it would be cheap for me to pay the winner on that one ;)

I am running it now, hope @Damian wont suspend my box for it :p

• rolz14rolz14 Member

Running now on one of my xen vps

• @serverbear said: Not seen any IPXCore yet, although it would be cheap for me to pay the winner on that one ;)

Result is here:
    http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2012/07/31/b9Nhro3ZjzyNWWUZ

Seems like its not live yet?
    Cant find it in search with name, or when sorting on price (0.5 usd/month)

• @djvdorp There's a manual check before summarised data appears in the reports. Few reasons why, but in order for it to be useful I need to add all the plan data for that host.

• @serverbear said: @djvdorp There's a manual check before summarised data appears in the reports. Few reasons why, but in order for it to be useful I need to add all the plan data for that host.

I see. All info needed is here:
    http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/3384/ipxcore-32mb-openvz-vps-for-50-cents-per-month/p1

• @Serverbear doesnt seem to e-mail me once it's finished...